PDA

View Full Version : Tearing down bike this winter, painting chassis, need help..

Hondamaster5505
08-30-2007, 02:15 PM
Im gonna be tearing down the whole bike, painting the frame, a-arms, swing arm, axle, rims, and bumper black. What paint should i use that will look good, but hold up well.

Thanks.

gcart2
08-30-2007, 02:22 PM
powder coat it... so much simpler dont have to worry about runs... and if you clean it up real good before you have it dne it will look great! paint.... scratches chips etc... especially on your wheels. everyone is going to say im wrong though because heaven knows EVERONE has compared the two... powdercoating cost a little $$ but hey... pc it 1 time and be done or paint 1 time a month..... :rolleyes:

Hondamaster5505
08-30-2007, 04:36 PM
yeah, well, i would LOVE to get it powdercoated, but i dont have the money right now... it gets pricey.

I figured i can either:
1. Paint it with bedliner spray so its tough but wont look as good.
2. prime it, shoot it with like 10 coats of paint, and clear coat.

which do you think is better?
i think with a bunch of coats, it should hold up, but idk.

gcart2
08-30-2007, 05:01 PM
well ill give you an opinion i seen a street bike that was all rhino lined.... in my opinion it looked like crap because streetbikes dirtbike cars atvs etc... are supposed to be smooth looking.. kinda like glass...
i would wait. get it done 1 time or get what you want done most first. for 200 bucks you can have the wheels and bumper done. im getting my wheels done for 160. man.. your in a tough spot. you prob got this idea in your head and prob want it done soon as possible.... i cant force you to do something but... you need to powder coat it. paint scratches.. end of story.. and the day someone roost on you and a few rocks get your or you riding trails and hit something your paint is shot.

Hondamaster5505
08-30-2007, 05:25 PM
your right, i actually am waiting for pappy to get back to me with a price. i might get my c-series done first cuz rims really make a bike. :D

gcart2
08-30-2007, 05:39 PM
yea pappy supposedly is a good guy to deal with... i want to do my wheels super shiny red... like red with silver or gold thrown in real light.

what do you hink it would look like?
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k181/gcart2/DSCI0011.jpg

Hondamaster5505
08-30-2007, 05:51 PM
i think the red would look coolest. Black would look good on yours too, not too sure about the gold though..
lol:blah:

Hondamaster5505
08-30-2007, 05:52 PM
oh, you mean mixed together. lol. i think the red+gold would look good. kinda like a candy red.

gcart2
08-30-2007, 05:56 PM
yea like a candy red. iwwanted somethin gway different.

Pipeless416
08-30-2007, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by gcart2
powder coat it... so much simpler dont have to worry about runs... and if you clean it up real good before you have it dne it will look great! paint.... scratches chips etc... especially on your wheels. everyone is going to say im wrong though because heaven knows EVERONE has compared the two... powdercoating cost a little $$ but hey... pc it 1 time and be done or paint 1 time a month..... :rolleyes:

living proof that it can be painted without all of those issues... :rolleyes:

Pipeless416
08-30-2007, 11:22 PM
and my brothers. please dont discourage somebody from doing something out of the ordinary. not everybody is made of money.

mx1791
08-30-2007, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
and my brothers. please dont discourage somebody from doing something out of the ordinary. not everybody is made of money.
i understand that you've done it and said you have no issues, but painting isnt for everyone. i know that if i painted my quad it would chip in alot of places all the time, heck my stock frame has no paint left and my powder coated a arms are pretty much a giant chip from holeshot roosts etc, but the PC on my a arms is really crappy and the stock frame isnt powder coat, so i know if i had pappy powder everything, it would all hold up way better..

Pipeless416
08-30-2007, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by mx1791
i understand that you've done it and said you have no issues, but painting isnt for everyone. i know that if i painted my quad it would chip in alot of places all the time, heck my stock frame has no paint left and my powder coated a arms are pretty much a giant chip from holeshot roosts etc, but the PC on my a arms is really crappy and the stock frame isnt powder coat, so i know if i had pappy powder everything, it would all hold up way better..

of course a lot has to do with how careful you are and the intended uses of the quad. i'm just trying to keep this kid, who im guessing is just a trail rider/ back yard basher, from being scared away by somebody without any experience with painting. if the person in question can afford pc'ing, then by all means call up pappy and have it done right, but for younger riders or anybody a little short on cash, try it yourself. you can can great experience from it too. ;)

mx1791
08-30-2007, 11:45 PM
yea i understand that. im not against spray painting anything at all. if pappy charges less to PC only the frame without the sub frame, then thats what im gunna do and i can just spraypaint the subframe, hubs and motor mounts, becouse like you said not everyones made of money and i cant afford to get little things PC'ed :ermm:

Pipeless416
08-30-2007, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by mx1791
yea i understand that. im not against spray painting anything at all. if pappy charges less to PC only the frame without the sub frame, then thats what im gunna do and i can just spraypaint the subframe, hubs and motor mounts, becouse like you said not everyones made of money and i cant afford to get little things PC'ed :ermm:

it also depends on your machine. id pc yours just because its a sick quad to begin with! i painted mine because it was a big pile of crap when i got it. :p

mx1791
08-31-2007, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
it also depends on your machine. id pc yours just because its a sick quad to begin with! i painted mine because it was a big pile of crap when i got it. :p
thanks. yours sure doesnt look like crap now, you and your brother have some nice quads too:cool: although im not a fan of full fenders on 400ex's, just my opinion

Hondamaster5505
08-31-2007, 09:04 AM
the only reason i was considering getting it painted, is because the guy next to my dads machine shop is a body guy. He would paint the frame professionally for free.

But im not tearing down till winter when im not riding as much.

So can you take a pic of it now, and one at the beginning of winter so i can see how it holds up?

mx1791
08-31-2007, 10:07 AM
actually i know a kid that did his frame in candy blue with a profesional spray gun and car paint and it came out looking like powdercoat and has held up good for 2 years. if you get yours preped right, and done at a body shop it will probably end up being as durable as the stock paint which usually holds up fine for most people

gcart2
08-31-2007, 02:23 PM
hey man im not trying to discourage you.. i was just giving you opinions. go backand read they say"in my opinion" i have painted stuff and i know it looks like crap after a serious roost or a root kicks up.

j450rking
08-31-2007, 10:02 PM
i like powder coating but i have seen some nice paint jobs that seem to hold. you could also get a powder gun and do it yourself like i'm going to do. but you can only do parts as big as the oven you have to do it in but i have seen the heat lamps and if you look at the price of the powder gun and all the stuff you need to the cost to have a pro do it it will cost less to do it yourself imo