View Full Version : cooling capacity W/ pwr and pro -x ?

redrooster310r
08-30-2007, 06:38 AM
looking to buy engine ice for this dune season..... how much will my 88 hold with a pwr rad and a pro cross cylinder.... is 1/2 gallon enough? cant remember what she takes...... been a while,, time to shred

racerx573
08-30-2007, 07:38 AM
PWR's hold about twice the coolant of a stock radiator, and Pro-X cylinders hold about twice a stock cylinder. I believe the advertise it as 100% more coolant capacity.. Just fill it up and fire her up for a few minutes and let the coolant circulate, then top it off. Overall you're looking at about 200% more overall capacity than stock. I run the same set up. PWR w/ a Pro-X cylinder (PV).

criminalpoet
08-30-2007, 03:27 PM
I was just reading an article on coolant additives in one of my old ATV mags from 05 this morning and it said that the engine ice was the poorest performing out of the ones that they tested. Said that WaterWetter was the best one and that it cooled 30% better than engine ice and is way cheaper too. Just some food for thought.

GPracer2500
08-30-2007, 04:32 PM
DirtRider did a coolant test too in a 2003 Yamaha YZ250F (July 2006) . They performed tests on a trail, an MX track, and a static test. They tested distilled water, Preston 50/50 (essentially a stock coolant), Maxima Coolanol, Royal Purple Purple Ice Additive (a surfactant like WaterWetter), Engine Ice, and Zip-Ty Racing XF+ Waterless Race Coolant. Here's what they said about Engine Ice:

Probably the most hyped product in our testing, Engine Ice claims to be able to reduce temperatures by as much as 50 degrees. That doesn't mean your normal 220-degree engine will magically run at 170 degrees with the use of Engine Ice. Instead, it means that if you have an engine suffering from extreme overheating, Engine Ice can reduce temperatures below boilover and into the range of normal operating temperature. In trail and track tests, Engine Ice appeared to do a good job of holding steady operating temps. Cylinder head and radiator temps were at least 10-15 degrees lower than with regular coolant. But in the the static run testing it was at least 25 degrees higher than the Prestone 50/50, leading us to believe that it works best in bikes that are constantly moving, such as in racing applications. Although made from a PF-based formula, Engine Ice can be safely mixed with water in a pinch.

My summary of the other products tested...

--Prestone/water 50/50: run of the mill coolant, used as the baseline.
--Coolanol: performed about the same as Prestone.
--Purple Ice Additive: when added to straight water it lowered temps 10 degrees. When added to Prestone it lowered temps 5 degrees.
--Distilled water: in a 20 minute moto it lowered temps by 4 degrees (average). But if the engine got hot, no amount of airflow could bring the temps down appreciably. The loss of water from the overflow compounded the problem.
--Zip-Ty: Must get all residual fluid out of the cooling system before adding. On the track and trail runs, radiator temps averaged 8 degrees cooler; cylinder head temps were 12-15 degrees higher.

Just another magazine test with who knows how much bias injected--so take it for what it's worth. My personal experience with Engine Ice has been that in a CR250R ridden in the dunes it made a difference in keeping temps in check. I didn't quantify anything but it definitely kept more coolant in the radiators (it always pushes some coolant out when duned hard in warm temps) and seemed to lower the overall temps by an amount I could notice. $0.02

250r4life
08-30-2007, 05:37 PM
i think he was asking if one bottle would be enough to fill his radiator and cylinder...

yes- that should be plenty... with my stock radiator and duncan cylinder i still had quite a bit of engine ice left in the bottle...

i have had good luck with engine ice as well... you just want to make sure and change it each season, and dont let it overheat cuz its pretty nasty to clean up if you do end up getting it hot...

criminalpoet
08-30-2007, 06:28 PM
No matter what additive you use the PWR radiators are awsome. I beat the hell out of my bike and my PWR has never overheated. And when I say beat the hell out of it im talking 150-200 mile desert races out here in New Mexico on 100+degree days. With the PWR radiator accompanied by the ceramic/friction/barrier coatings on my motor im pretty much between 175-190 degrees all the time. Unless im hillshooting like crazy then it will go up to 200.

wilkin250r
08-30-2007, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
My summary of the other products tested...

--Prestone/water 50/50: run of the mill coolant, used as the baseline.
--Coolanol: performed about the same as Prestone.
--Purple Ice Additive: when added to straight water it lowered temps 10 degrees. When added to Prestone it lowered temps 5 degrees.
--Distilled water: in a 20 minute moto it lowered temps by 4 degrees (average). But if the engine got hot, no amount of airflow could bring the temps down appreciably. The loss of water from the overflow compounded the problem.
--Zip-Ty: Must get all residual fluid out of the cooling system before adding. On the track and trail runs, radiator temps averaged 8 degrees cooler; cylinder head temps were 12-15 degrees higher.

Good info.

As an added note, you should never run pure water in your radiator. It will corrode over time.

Antifreeze really has two aspects, protection from freezing, and protection from corrosion. It has a lot of corrosion inhibitors in it.

Go ahead and run pure water in an emergency, it won't corrode in the 8 miles it takes to get back to camp. But drain and replace as soon as possible.

As to the ORIGINAL question, I think it's just a hair over half a gallon. I've got a stock radiator and a 340 jug, and it took right about a half gallon dead on the nose. So I'd imagine a larger radiator like a PWR would go just a hair over.

redrooster310r
08-31-2007, 06:23 AM
great info... ride the dunes and looking to keep it down. friend s have used eng ice and have had great results... in desert.
how much does the 250r hold ....1/2 a gallon?

Aceman
08-31-2007, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by redrooster310r
great info... ride the dunes and looking to keep it down. friend s have used eng ice and have had great results... in desert.
how much does the 250r hold ....1/2 a gallon?

Why don't you look in your manual?

In any case:

1.16 qts for a coolant change
1.52 qts for disassembly

redrooster310r
09-01-2007, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by Aceman
Why don't you look in your manual?

In any case:

1.16 qts for a coolant change
1.52 qts for disassembly my manual is in garage and computer is at a dif location.....gosh,