PDA

View Full Version : Best 2008 450??

mephyst
08-30-2007, 12:55 AM
What do you guys think?? I have an 04 450r right now, but instead of dumping a few thousand into a nice long travel setup I think I would rather just dump it into a brand new quad. The 450r has always been very reliable, and had decent power, but I think I am ready for a new quad, and maybe something other than a Honda this time.

I guess my main question was how much has REALLY changed since 04? I'm pretty current with everything, but is there anything that is just a *must have* right now? Anything in 08 that everyone is just like "Wow!?"

I was thinking about holding out for the KTM... I will consider any brand right now, because it seems like everyone is making a decent quad/bike these days.

I'm ready for change. :)

Thanks!

Mc. Muffin
08-30-2007, 01:00 AM
What type of riding?

mudrunner35
08-30-2007, 01:02 AM
well i think the new oulaw 450 is worth a look into, polaris seems to be getting the right idea and offering an actual RACE quad (i know.. shocking :eek2: ) and the new 08 LTR 450 is worth a look. i hear they added some pretty nifty lil gadgets onto the machine that weren't there in the previous year. and it comes in a sweet black/red color scheme this year:devil: the kawi is also worth a look because of the cutting edge aluminum frame and efi system. but something that you should wait on is the ds450. with all that new product like the hollow axle and stuff it would be best to see how it will actually work before blowing a bunch of cash on it just to find none of this miracle equipment lives up to the hype.

mephyst
08-30-2007, 01:16 AM
Yeah, I was reading about the new LTR. And I like the black color scheme. Haha. I don't think I would ever buy something bright yellow. =] The white ones aren't bad either.

I ride everything... trails/desert/mx/dunes. =]

I really like the KTM, I just wished they would release the mx version sooner! The 525 looks pretty sweet too though.

I just have a feeling this year (08) will be the last year of the old stuff and in 09 they are going to change everything... and I'll be pissed. But that's what I thought this year would be like and they still didn't change much.

mod440ex
08-30-2007, 03:26 AM
everythin i have heard is that alot of them will be changing. I boutgh the kawi and i am really impressed with it. the only other '08 i have ridden was a yfz, its a nice bike but the thumb throttle is way to stiff. if you can hold out for another year just wait and see what come in for next year.

reptikes
08-30-2007, 06:50 AM
I haven't rode any of the new 450s, but i read a lot. And so far the KFX, the CAN-AM, nor the LTR are not top dog. That is said to be taken by the YFZ (although i have heard nothing good or bad about the TRX). Other than the wide body of the LTR it more less loses in all the other catagories.

First Outlander
08-30-2007, 08:13 AM
Can- Am from every mag I have read. Dirt wheels is the only one that says the Yami is best but we all know a Yami will always win Dirty wheels.

Punk'd
08-30-2007, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by reptikes
I haven't rode any of the new 450s, but i read a lot. And so far the KFX, the CAN-AM, nor the LTR are not top dog. That is said to be taken by the YFZ (although i have heard nothing good or bad about the TRX). Other than the wide body of the LTR it more less loses in all the other catagories. Stop reading dirtwheels. Im in the exact same situation as you with the 04 450r. I'm selling it but I'm getting the can-am as soon as it hits showroom floors. If it ever does..

TWISTED
08-30-2007, 09:45 AM
I just finished building my 07 Honda, but if I didn't have that, the KTM looks awful tempting....... My 2nd choice would be the KFX...

Raptor68
08-30-2007, 10:06 AM
Isn't the Can-am only actually making like 29 HP? Much less than they originally claimed...

LTR450_#67
08-30-2007, 10:44 AM
I don't really think there is a "Best" 450. From what I heard on the Can-AM there is a Mode switch for either EPA or Race. The Kawi looks like a great machine but I have heard from a VERY credible source that it doesn't have quite the power potential as the other big 3. The Yamaha needs a chassis update, and EFI. The honda could use an updated frame design/ swingarm+linkage and/or go back to the 04/05 engine and improve on it. The Suzuki could use a lil more power and a diet. The KTM sounds to me like the best package but thats just me. The Can-am is just too different for me to like, but their snowmobiles are sweet......

Aaron

Mc. Muffin
08-30-2007, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by LTR450_#67
The Yamaha needs a chassis update, and EFI.

The YFZ450 chassis is awesome, its overall design gives the 450 nice handling capabilities...but I will say it would be nice to switch to aluminum with EFI.

If you ride every type of terrain I would look into the KFX450R or YFZ450.
I feel those are the best two quads available today.

450raider
08-30-2007, 11:22 AM
well in my opinion for 08 450's my first choice is the kfx you just get the best of all worlds with it, but if i couldnt have a kfx my choices would go: 2.ds450, 3.ltr450, 4. oulaw450, 5.450r, 6.ktm450 (would be higher but i bet their awful pricey) and if all those fell through then 7.yfz450

just my thoughts

OutlawBill
08-30-2007, 11:29 AM
KTM .

Punk'd
08-30-2007, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Raptor68
Isn't the Can-am only actually making like 29 HP? Much less than they originally claimed...

I dont know where you heard this, but that is 100% wrong.

Found this in our "New Technology" Tech book at work.

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/8821/img0061za6.jpg

Kickstarts-suck
08-30-2007, 01:50 PM
according to QUAD the LTR got 100 changes for 08. 3% increase in HP and Torque. "traction control" new gears,shift forks, and shifting mechanism for tranny.
Rear tires 0.5" bigger. Rubber mounted handlebar clamp. Suspension changes. Exhaust diameter increased.

"the 2008 is the best stock ATV on a motocross track that we have tested"

07250ex
08-30-2007, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by 450raider
well in my opinion for 08 450's my first choice is the kfx you just get the best of all worlds with it, but if i couldnt have a kfx my choices would go: 2.ds450, 3.ltr450, 4. oulaw450, 5.450r, 6.ktm450 (would be higher but i bet their awful pricey) and if all those fell through then 7.yfz450

just my thoughts

i respect your oponion but IMO the yfz is the best and has the best "STOCK" suspension setup on the market for motocross but to each is his own

mephyst
08-30-2007, 02:24 PM
Many of you are saying ds450 just by what you have read though... they haven't even hit the showroom floor yet. :P Like another guy said, the ds just seems too new for many and too many weird things.. We will see... I think I will just hold out for a few months... but you know how it is. "I want it NOW!"

Thumb throttle doesn't matter since I toss that for a twist anyway. :)

I think it would be between the yfz, ktm or possibly the ltr.

I just have a hole burning in my pocket with all the extra money I've been making lately... I have been tossing around buying a new car too, but I really want an updated quad and drop some $$ into the suspension right out the gate. (With the KTM it's a little more expensive but no need for putting any money into it... it's done.)

jb500ex
08-30-2007, 03:10 PM
i like the ktm and suzuki. with the ktm it has a chromoly frame which is stronger and lighter then a aluminum frame, it also cost more. which shows ktm is about quality not making you believe aluminum is better then jacking the price up. and the can-am had the lowest dyno #'s out of all the major 450's on a well known pipe companies dyno. he even tried messing with it to get it better but it was the lowest. and if you have seen the frame up close all the stamped brackets don't look like they will handle abuse

Bender
08-30-2007, 03:33 PM
I like the KTM.

iRideYAMAHA
08-30-2007, 04:34 PM
Lt-R

mephyst
08-30-2007, 05:51 PM
How wide is the front end on the ktm 525xc? I am considering buying one because it would probably be better in the trails/desert/dunes since I haven't started competitively racing anyways. I usually only ride/race track on my dirtbike.

I figure the extra torque would be helpful. It's the same exact frame and everything as the 450 correct? Is the 450mx going to be exactly the same also just with wider a arms/axle?

If I weigh 165lbs with gear on do you think the shocks would be valved decently for my weight stock? I know my 04 450r still feels stiff.

pred174
08-30-2007, 05:57 PM
Im looking at getting an outlaw 450 seeing that there should be a decent aftermarket because they have 2 models that share the same geometry so i am sure u will get more vendors to make products for them plus there are alot of mods for the ktm engine....also there frame must be holding up good for caleb moore to be flipping it and he is still using the stock a-arms also in his last race in englishtown he took the hole shot with just a pipe

08-30-2007, 07:01 PM
i have rode the kfx, trx and the yfz

kfx: good: sits low, awesome power
bad: i dont think anything is bad

trx: good: awesome power, its a honda!, reliability
bad: sits a little high, tippy in corners

yfz: good: sits low, good for shorter riders, nice power, nice handling
bad: not good for taller riders, i have heard from a few of my friends about them blowing up because they are not getting enough oil

ratings:
1. kfx
2. trx
3. yfz

416exfreak
08-30-2007, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by 07250ex
i respect your oponion but IMO the yfz is the best and has the best "STOCK" suspension setup on the market for motocross but to each is his own

You havent seen the new KTM's have you?

They come stock with 11 inches of travel via gullwing a-arms and double rate ohlins shocks:devil:

Id say KTM...all the way. Reverse, great suspension, good tires. and you know the engines are proven unlike the can-am.

07250ex
08-30-2007, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by mephyst
How wide is the front end on the ktm 525xc? I am considering buying one because it would probably be better in the trails/desert/dunes since I haven't started competitively racing anyways. I usually only ride/race track on my dirtbike.

I figure the extra torque would be helpful. It's the same exact frame and everything as the 450 correct? Is the 450mx going to be exactly the same also just with wider a arms/axle?

If I weigh 165lbs with gear on do you think the shocks would be valved decently for my weight stock? I know my 04 450r still feels stiff.

mike i noticed today when i went to the dealer that the 450r and ltr shocks were nice and squishy with me on it in stock setup and i weigh 115

416exfreak
08-30-2007, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by mephyst

The 450xc and 525xc are both XC width...im guessing somewhere between stock and MX?

the mx will probably cost a tad more and be MX width...no doubt will have the double rate ohlins shocks...and they have 11 inches of travel front and rear...its a great quad...id get one if i were you.

07250ex
08-30-2007, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
You havent seen the new KTM's have you?

They come stock with 11 inches of travel via gullwing a-arms and double rate ohlins shocks:devil:

Id say KTM...all the way. Reverse, great suspension, good tires. and you know the engines are proven unlike the can-am.

kTm makes awesome engines but technicly this quad isnt for sale yet

gncc025
08-30-2007, 07:36 PM
from what ive read up on all of them im thinking the KTM is gonna be the ONE. only time will tell though. http://www.ktmatv.com/