PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Smoker

rwc0920
08-29-2007, 07:03 PM
Hey,

I started having problems with the 400, it started to smoke a little. I took some of your advice to change the valve seals to see if it would cure the problem. Hoping that the problem could be an easy fix boy was I wrong. After changing the valve seals I started it up and man did it smoke. Smoke would just keep on pouring out, it was worse than a 2 stroke. I guess I have no other choice than to go with the 416 kit now. Anybody know why it would smoke more now after changing it with brand new valve seals?

08-29-2007, 07:08 PM
if i'm not mistaking smoke indicates the piston rings are going or your burning oil. Dont quote me on it but thats what i was told

04blasterkid
08-29-2007, 07:08 PM
blue or black smoke?

rwc0920
08-29-2007, 07:23 PM
bluish grey

CarGuy7a
08-29-2007, 07:37 PM
if it smoked more after changing the valve seals. you may have got them on the wrong valves.

example. exhaust seals on intake valves and vice versa.

not sure if the 400ex seals are one side only like that but it happened when i had the heads on my truck done after it bent a valve. the guy who did my heads put the valve seals on the wrong valves on every cylinder and it smoke like crazy.

might be something worth looking into.

rwc0920
08-29-2007, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by CarGuy7a
if it smoked more after changing the valve seals. you may have got them on the wrong valves.

example. exhaust seals on intake valves and vice versa.

not sure if the 400ex seals are one side only like that but it happened when i had the heads on my truck done after it bent a valve. the guy who did my heads put the valve seals on the wrong valves on every cylinder and it smoke like crazy.

might be something worth looking into.

alright thanks. How do you know which seals go on which valve?

EX LONERIDER
08-29-2007, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by rwc0920
alright thanks. How do you know which seals go on which valve?

now, i may be wrong on this but when i got valve stem seals, they were all the same part number and i placed em on without a second thought. they should all be the same. mine runs and no smoke.

either way...if you were planning to go supersize why not just tear it down if you are going back in there? may as well....

blue smoke usually means burning oil.... hope not too much is getting passed cus it'll make a mess out of the packing in your pipe... if you go bigger, make sure to clean out your pipe. chances are there's oil soaked into the packing and will still appear to be burning oil cus of that.

my88r
08-29-2007, 08:28 PM
blue smoke usually means burning oil.... hope not too much is getting passed cus it'll make a mess out of the packing in your pipe... if you go bigger, make sure to clean out your pipe. chances are there's oil soaked into the packing and will still appear to be burning oil cus of that. [/B][/QUOTE]

good point i would check that first.;)

GOTFEAR
08-29-2007, 09:25 PM
valve seals are the same and don't mater what color the smoke is its only going to get worse once it starts it wont stop (big bore)

EX LONERIDER
08-29-2007, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by GOTFEAR
valve seals are the same and don't mater what color the smoke is its only going to get worse once it starts it wont stop (big bore)

what? the smoke or the modifications there after??:D

02CR500Rex
09-03-2007, 11:30 PM
did you re-seat the valves when you put in the new seals? If not, oil is probably seeping past them into the combustion chamber.

rwc0920
09-04-2007, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by 02CR500Rex
did you re-seat the valves when you put in the new seals? If not, oil is probably seeping past them into the combustion chamber.

How do you re-seat the valves?

rwc0920
09-05-2007, 07:31 PM
anybody got an answer for the question above?