PDA

View Full Version : DG or not DG

LT Crazy
08-29-2007, 07:51 AM
Just wondering, since our LT80 already had a DG pipe on it when we bought it, and with nothing to compare it to except the weak stock pipe, is the DG pipe pretty descent? It seems to have pretty strong bottom end but the motor lays down right where I feel it should be at it's peak on the high end. I've re-jetted, moved the clip on the needle trying to free up some rpm but feel like it's all coming back to the pipe. Any comments?

LT80
09-02-2007, 08:35 AM
The DG is a good stock pipe replacement. The stock pipe can work very well.
So what jets did you install?
You need to gear up a tooth on the front sprocket if you want more speed out of a stock machine.

LT Crazy
09-04-2007, 07:14 AM
Thanks LT80 for the reply, I'd have to look to be sure which jet I'm using but I would guess it's about 105. It's a modified motor, big bore kit, milled head, no fancy porting, just blended out and matched up nicely. 32:1 pre-mix fuel. Using slightly modified stock carb and reed cage with Boyesen dual stage reeds. Last checked cranking pressure was around 180, using good gas and have finally got the clutch working the way I want it. That's me in a nut shell. I guess it's plenty fast but it's just not at the level of performance I think it's capable of. Once it runs out of clutch it just runs out of steam. Thanks.

LT80
09-04-2007, 10:27 AM
Sounds like you can handle a bigger front sprocket. :)

LT Crazy
09-06-2007, 10:20 AM
Thanks LT80, I've got a couple clutch parts that I'd like to replace, someone else has been in there and didn't leave it too good, it took a little while to get it sorted out and get it right but when my wallet fattens up and I go shopping I might add a sprocket to the list. It seems like I checked on sprockets at the local dealer but they didn't offer any different , where would be a good place to buy one? Thanks for helping out.

LT80
09-07-2007, 07:01 AM
Any bike/quad shop can get you aftermarket sprockets.
If you have the 520 chain, you'll be wanting a 11 tooth blaster sprocket. :)

LT Crazy
09-07-2007, 08:18 AM
That's cool, I'll check that out. Probably better plan on getting a chain tensioner then too, eh?

O.K. that's gonna take care of me for a while, I appreciate all your input, I never knew there were so many others playing with these little LT's, too bad the kids grow out of them. I've had a lot of fun "transforming" this one into a really great machine.