PDA

View Full Version : 416 vs. 426

BadA$$440
10-28-2002, 09:01 PM
Sorry if this question has been asked before but i tryed doing a search and the search word has to be atleast 4 letters or numbers.

I race harescrambles with tight woods and wide open fields so i need power through out all the ranges basically. So if you can give me pros and cons on both or give me a link to some threads that talk about it. Where does the 416 provid power at? same with the 426?

I will be putting in a TC XC cam along with a mild port and 3 ngle valve job and maybe a 39mm FCR if money allows.

Thanks or the info.

Pro400EXC
10-28-2002, 09:10 PM
Well Jesse, I can give yah my motor, its a custom stocker.....

Honda must have donesome work on it from the factory,cause it broguht me my first win,and i eve was up against z400's and Rap daddy's...

skinrider440
10-28-2002, 09:21 PM
what about the 440

YZROOSTINYA
10-29-2002, 04:34 AM
i just finised building my 416 so i can comment on that.

it revs like a mo-fo, more power down low. it sounds bad *** now. holds the r's when lugged. cant wait to hit the hills this weekend. stage 2 hot cam, and 10.8:1 je 416.

best 350 i ever spent took me about a day, maybe a little more. if i would have had all the parts it would have wen alot smoother.

i would say the 426 would give you more low end. you might want to go to a stage one cam and a 426 if your gonna alot of woods or tight riding. i run fast woods trails and this things is gonna rip. it has so much more power now, i need suspension big time. i didn't even get my head ported or a 3 angle valve job.

i also have a stock carb also with the choke removed. it comes on low and pulls alot harder from mid to top. but i did not loose any low

BadA$$440
10-29-2002, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by Pro400EXC
Well Jesse, I can give yah my motor, its a custom stocker.....

Honda must have donesome work on it from the factory,cause it broguht me my first win,and i eve was up against z400's and Rap daddy's...

Dude, u can stop bragging now. its getting old.

SKINRIDER, alot of people have been telling me how unreliable the 440 is and it pulls studs and blows head gaskets and i even heard of people bending there connecting rod. My friend has the same 440 kit i bought and he already pulled 2 studs out and blew a gaasket and he only had it for like a month or so. So my 440 kit is up for sale and maybe in the future i might stroke it.

YZROOSTINYA, thanks for the info bro, so u think the 416 would be the way to go?

YZROOSTINYA
10-29-2002, 08:16 AM
bad

same reason i didn't go with the 440

i prefer technology over displacement

i went with the 416 because you do get a 19 cc increase but the wall is not super thin like a 426. i just felt more comfortable with that as i ride and it gets really hot and humid out here and i do alot of silt hill climbs. i weight 190 with gear and i really am happy with the the power right now and my tires are 23 6 plys up front and 22 2 plys out back with stock gearing. i can tell right now i cant wait to hit the trails and climbs. i could do them all before but i always had the doubt about making some steep ones and i was always slipping thw clutch and just beating it hard.

i was doing powerslide in 2nd the other day and as i was sliding typically the motor would bog and barely hold the r's. now it keeps pulling while the front end is floating and if keep it pinned it will ride a wheelie very easily out of it. if i went back to stock tires it would be even faster. now i have to watch the throttle on some things because before i would hold it pinned knowing it would barely spin or i would have to clutch . now it breaks the tires loose and roosts up hills.

its not like it double the power but it did make a sig niff differance. i really love the bark it puts out now too, alot deeper and you can tell it has the power. i would suggest hd clutch springs though as i can feel mine slipping a little when i have it pinned and dropped the clutch when i am really going.

i am just very happy with my combo and if you did a port,3 angle and carb it would only be btter.

my bud has a wiseco 11:1 stock bore with a wb all around and i know i could take him in power.

if your into revving get the stage 2, if you ride more down low get the stage 1, but i dont think you could go wrong with the stage 2 and 416

redrider ex
10-29-2002, 08:39 AM
when you take a stock 400ex cylinder to get it bored to a 416 don't they bore it .20 over is that right.

YZROOSTINYA
10-29-2002, 09:18 AM
.040 is 406, .080 is 416, .120 is 426,

or 85 mm stock, 86 mm 406, 87mm 416 , 88 mm 426, 89 440

jcv400ex
10-29-2002, 09:34 AM
I was running an 88mm piston with no problems. And it's still running strong to this day. Remember how cheap a new sleeve for a 400 is also.

Pro400EXC
10-29-2002, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Bad*****440

Dude, u can stop bragging now. its getting old.

Dang Sry Jess,I didn't really think I was braggin,I am just saying,it don't take a monster to ebat a monster... Look at Scott,he has the Roll Frnt end and all,but a stock motor,and he does good...

Also I dunno how I won,i think I was lucky,cause I am not that fast...Well,i don't feel fast,ohh well....

But a 416 from Marcum should be good, I'll probablky end up going w/ one from him,if i don't get a C-dale......

Peace Bro

BadA$$440
10-29-2002, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Pro400EXC

Dang Sry Jess,I didn't really think I was braggin,I am just saying,it don't take a monster to ebat a monster... Look at Scott,he has the Roll Frnt end and all,but a stock motor,and he does good...

Im not wanting to biuld a monster, i am just tired of gettin passed in the straights by them stupd z400's so hopefuly i wont get passed maybe even pull off a 1st place if ya let me;)

Pro400EXC
10-29-2002, 09:43 PM
Ahhh Ight Got yah Jess... Sry if it sounded like I was braggin,I really didn't mean too...

Also, yah i hear yah on them z400 guys in the fields,thats why you run with them,and when they let off for a turn you stay pinned,catch up,take the inside,and block em,down shift twice,make the berm,and zoom on by,hehe

But yah, a 416 would help give you that extra oomph in the fields,but the only thing that'll make us have more top,is a smaller rear sproket,or bigger front,cause motor work alone don't give much more top end....

But I think I may just get some motor work before i sell/trade the 400....so it'll be fresh for the new owners.....

BadA$$440
10-30-2002, 06:07 AM
Ya i was going to drop a tooth or two in the rear.

It sounds like your hinting to me that you might get a new blaze? Pick one up for me to if you do get one:devil

sly400ex
10-30-2002, 08:13 AM
hey YZroostin.....what gearing are you using now, is it stock or??? Just wondering, cuz I want to do the 416 kit the way you have but I have a 14T CS.....thx

10-30-2002, 08:54 AM
what tires your running has the most to do with what gearing you run. I run both 18in and 22in rears,,one for MX and the other for XC,,my gearing varies big time..I run either 15/38, 15/36 and 14/38. 20in tires work best I think with stock gearing on a 416 or 426 setup.

On another note,,I've rode a TCracing national motor kit that was a 416,,had a little mud get in the cylinder and it had to be bumped to a 426,,I noticed no differene in the power,,,he did drop the crompression from 13.1 to a 12.5:1 though so that might have made the difference in making it feel the same. I'm sorry but a .0120 over bore kinda skeers me..:huh

YZROOSTINYA
10-30-2002, 09:23 AM
i run stock gearing and have not messed with gearing at all and i dont need too, especially now.

i have 23 x 7 x 10 pure sports bandit acr's up front(round profile) 6 ply

and 22 x 11x 9 out back maxxis sur trax. 2 ply. i ride at tower city which has areas that are extremely rocky. i need the clearance

i would run 22 up front and 21's or 20's if i only road in dirt. i would definitly stick with stock gearing on stock size tires.

gearing it for more acceleration like dropping a tooth up front probally wouldn't be a bad idea, cause i rarley ride in 5th pinned.

i should give that whirl. it would be really nice then. i would def need at least hd clutch springs then and possibly a barnett