PDA

View Full Version : Stock suspension squeak!

Helix
08-28-2007, 07:00 PM
My front shocks have squeaked since the day I brought my quad home. I've tried white lithium grease and WD40 but they will not shut up! Anybody else have the same problem and know of a good fix?

08-28-2007, 07:10 PM
great fix is the PB degreaser/lubricant. It takes the squeak out and lubes them. Comes in a spray can. Then stand on your front bumper and keep jumping on the front end to get it working in. If it doesnt work then spray it again and as soon as you go riding hitting bimps it goes right away.

medicdude
08-28-2007, 07:24 PM
ive got the same annoying problem, thanks fox,

NacsMXer
08-28-2007, 07:40 PM
Try pulling the bushings out of the eyelets at each end of the shock, clean well with a good degreaser (carb cleaner/brake cleaner), and lube with a good waterproof grease (I prefer Mobil 1 synthetic grease). Should solve your problems for a good while ;)

GOTFEAR
08-28-2007, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
Try pulling the bushings out of the eyelets at each end of the shock, clean well with a good degreaser (carb cleaner/brake cleaner), and lube with a good waterproof grease (I prefer Mobil 1 synthetic grease). Should solve your problems for a good while ;) thats right

tanner 222
08-29-2007, 06:50 PM
man i had the same problem and all i did was used some good ol spam. dont even have to work it in or anything. it worked perfect for me.

CarGuy7a
08-29-2007, 07:42 PM
i took the bushings out sanded the rust out put some kendall grease in it hasn't squeaked since. i've ran it through water and mud and washed it at least 4 or 5 times now and still no noise.

RideRed84
08-30-2007, 02:09 PM
Liquid wrench dry lube. It comes in a can and works great without attracting dirt and dust

gcart2
08-30-2007, 02:16 PM
after u get them to quiet down buy shock covers... work good =)

JOEX
08-30-2007, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by gcart2
after u get them to quiet down buy shock covers... work good =)
Shock covers aren't going to help with the squeaking...

tanner 222
08-31-2007, 05:28 AM
it'll keep the dust and dirt out tho so it wont happen again. i did the same thing. bought some shock covers right after and it never happened again

flauge
08-31-2007, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by CarGuy7a
i took the bushings out sanded the rust out put some kendall grease in it hasn't squeaked since. i've ran it through water and mud and washed it at least 4 or 5 times now and still no noise. thats the same thing i did on my old stockers. I think it was all that rust making em squeak:o

JOEX
08-31-2007, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by tanner 222
it'll keep the dust and dirt out tho so it wont happen again. i did the same thing. bought some shock covers right after and it never happened again
The squeaking usually comes from the mounting/pivot points of the shock.

REDRIDDER
08-31-2007, 01:36 PM
what if you drilled out the tops of the a arms like a yamaha and put zerks on them.Yes i know that the zerks would close to the a arm bolts but make them flush with the inner part of the a arm its not like the bolt fills the hole in completly so their would be room for grease at least i would think.

gcart2
08-31-2007, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
The squeaking usually comes from the mounting/pivot points of the shock.

o comon..... when mine used to squeak spraye dpb blaster up into it (under the spring) jump up and down on it do it again and it would stop. then put the covers on and its all queit again... shock covers are great anbd will stop the squeakin gunless your like JOEX and run your stuff threw mud ABOVE the shock mounts.

NacsMXer
08-31-2007, 02:32 PM
o comon..... when mine used to squeak spraye dpb blaster up into it (under the spring) jump up and down on it do it again and it would stop. then put the covers on and its all queit again... shock covers are great anbd will stop the squeakin gunless your like JOEX and run your stuff threw mud ABOVE the shock mounts.

No need for the attitude...What JOEX was saying is usually true since the shock bushings get next to no grease from the factory.

In your case, your springs were binding up against the metal shock body creating the squeak. Shock covers will help in this situation but the bushings are still vulnerable to drying out unless you clean/grease them periodically.

gcart2
08-31-2007, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
No need for the attitude...What JOEX was saying is usually true since the shock bushings get next to no grease from the factory.

In your case, your springs were binding up against the metal shock body creating the squeak. Shock covers will help in this situation but the bushings are still vulnerable to drying out unless you clean/grease them periodically.

no attitude just trying to spice up the afternoon.

JOEX
08-31-2007, 06:49 PM
I very rarely, if at all, ride through mud and it's never above the shock mounts:o

04blasterkid
08-31-2007, 07:03 PM
mine squeek so badly.. its very annoying, its even louder then my white bros slip on that has no disk or end plate