PDA

View Full Version : questions about 04 and rebuild

400exfan19
08-28-2007, 06:43 PM
im about to buy an 04 yfz. when they say it was just recently rebuild, does that mean that the engine will be in perfect condition again? any other suggestions about buying an 04? will i regret it if i dont do the oil mod?

jshtex
08-28-2007, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by 400exfan19
im about to buy an 04 yfz. when they say it was just recently rebuild, does that mean that the engine will be in perfect condition again?

Probably not, but it really depends on what the seller means by a "rebuild". It could be anything from a top end (New Piston, rings) on up.

any other suggestions about buying an 04?

Ask about any electrical problems they might have had? Have they replaced the battery, stator or voltage regulator. Any of these could have been a problem but if the bike runs fine and doesn't have any charging issues now it is probably fine. Also take a look at the top of the swingarm just above the rear shock linkage, it is fairly common for 04's to develop an X shaped crack there. Not a big deal and you can pickup an 05 swingarm fairly cheap (they don't have the issue).

will i regret it if i dont do the oil mod?

Probably not, unless you have a catastrophic crank, rod or piston failure that was oil related. It isn't all that expensive anymore to do the 07 mod and it might mean some peace of mind. But there are lots of 04's thru 06s running around that have not been "oil modded". Our 04 engine lasted three long years of hard XC races with good maintenance and no oil mod.