View Full Version : cracked case. fixable?

04blasterkid
08-28-2007, 05:35 PM
well i noticed a little bit of oil under the sprocket when i traded, he said he lubed the chain and it flings everywhere... it was just a tiny tiny bit.. so i looked and looked and couldnt see no holes or anything... got home road all day and the lil spot turned into a bigger spot.. took the chassis skid of scrubed the engine with a brillopad, felt around.. nothing.. so i kept looking and noticed the is about a 1inch crack along my drain bolt:mad: it starts at the head of the bolt and goes about 1 inch tword the cener of the engine. it is right on the bottom... im wounderin if i could jb weild a lil over the crack n stop the leak? or weild it? longer bolt? gasketmaked r on the bolt maybe? it only drips 1 ever minut-2minut.. like a small drip.... so idk im scarred haha

08-28-2007, 05:52 PM
I have 2 questions.

1. Whats a case saver and what does it do? I thought it blocked your chain from smacking your case if it broke.

2.What causes the case to crack?

04blasterkid
08-28-2007, 06:11 PM
the case saver is suposed to help stop from breaking the case when the chain pops off...

i think mine cracked because the nimrod who had it before me tightend it to much... no dents from a rock or anything + it has full skid

08-28-2007, 06:15 PM
yeah I have full skids and everyone says take that off it weighs you down, well i love it for water crossing andthe gncc type ridiung i do. is a case saver worth it?

04blasterkid
08-28-2007, 06:31 PM
welll i dont see what it could hurt ehh? there only bout 20$

my skids are light.. the dont weigh it down much, run for 10 min a day and it will make up for it haha

honda8&3
08-28-2007, 06:54 PM
Man skids don't weigh that much. Why would these people take them off to help out weight wise. Unless they race mx where they need every bit of weight loss. When I ordered my rear .190 skid and desert grab bar from PRM and the box was rated at 7 1/2 pounds shipped. So full skids weigh only prolly 15-20 LBS maybe. A case saver is definetly the best bang for your buck on any bike. Why save 20-30 dollars where a cracked case takes quite a bit more than 20 bucks. Best investment by far IMO.;)

08-28-2007, 06:57 PM
nice, i just did weight reduction, no parking brake haha no storage case, lol no choke. haha total of 1/2 a pound. no but I have some thinck skid plates, i love them but i do wish they were a bit lighter

04blasterkid
08-28-2007, 07:18 PM
start sandin down the everything, total weight loss of about 1oz, definatly worth it :blah:

can anyone hellp with my problem?

Pipeless416
08-28-2007, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by 04blasterkid
start sandin down the everything, total weight loss of about 1oz, definatly worth it :blah:

can anyone hellp with my problem?

jb weld it. if its just a crack its no biggie. just make sure you try to fill any of the crack that you can with it. people on here have actually filled holes in their cases with jb weld. :eek2:

04blasterkid
08-28-2007, 08:12 PM
ok.. sounds good.. 1-2 layers should stop the oil.. nothing will hit it.. as long as jb holds up to the heat...

honda300EXtreme
08-28-2007, 08:22 PM
yea, mix the red cap and the black cap jb weld and it will be fine, we have used it in some high pressure areas and it holds up fine....

Old Dirtbiker
08-28-2007, 08:34 PM
I'd do the J B Weld myself. I've used it several times on many things. The key is to be sure the surface is clean and oil free.
Maybe rough it up with some emery paper or wire brush.
Did I say oil free? Oh ya, oil free.

Once its on and cured, you can file it down. I would think that you can forget about the patch and start worring about something like when your going riding again.

Good Luck

04blasterkid
08-28-2007, 08:46 PM
well my plan is to get it patched, go to dentist/haircut and be back in like 3-4hr's put the skids on and go ride... i dont know how long the cure takes though.. im gona do it right...

Sparky_20
08-28-2007, 09:30 PM
if you take out the drain bolt can you see it cracked in the threads itself? If it is, then it may be a PITA every time you change the oil...

04blasterkid
08-29-2007, 05:36 PM
well when i looked again today with the bolt out the crack isnt what was leaking... the crack dont go all the way through so idk what to do with it.. it dont leak.. but the gasket was no good and alowwed some oil to run down the case and it dripped off the drainbolt where the crack is.. so i thought that was what was leaking..... sorry for misleading you guys

PS: is the flywheeler compartment suposed to have oil in it? mine does

project400ex19
08-29-2007, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by 04blasterkid
well when i looked again today with the bolt out the crack isnt what was leaking... the crack dont go all the way through so idk what to do with it.. it dont leak.. but the gasket was no good and alowwed some oil to run down the case and it dripped off the drainbolt where the crack is.. so i thought that was what was leaking..... sorry for misleading you guys

PS: is the flywheeler compartment suposed to have oil in it? mine does

where's it leaking from then? are you running synthetic oil and has it been running synthetic it's whole life. I know if you have ran conventional oil most of your engines life and then change to a synthetic you sometimes can develop a small engine leak through gaskets and other invisible places.

04blasterkid
08-29-2007, 06:32 PM
idk wat it has been running on but i put synthetic in it... it was leaking from behind the cover, it was liquid gasket, that wasnt setup right or somthing, and the funny part is, the guy tryed to stop the leak with jb weild, so i thought the case was broke untill i peeled all the jb off and there was no breaks.. he put it right over the seam, so it was a ***** to break it loose..

exrider2001red
09-06-2007, 07:26 PM
jb weld is really strong i used it on my shifter cause i stripped the shaft and its held for months now