PDA

View Full Version : Swingarm Bearings??

woodring88
08-28-2007, 12:32 PM
So i was riding yesterday and just found a great spot to ride on, but then it happened. I was climbing this little hill and all of the sudden i head a bunch of popping and stuff in my back end. I stopped and was looking around and i noticed my front sprocket was very loose. I rode it back to my friends house with it screeching and popping, making bad noises. I got there and tightened the sprocket and nothing happened. So i was looking around my swingarm and noticed fresh metal shaving like something had been warn down. I put the quad up on blocks and then i realized i could move the axle up and down!! What is wrong????!?!?!

Scro
08-28-2007, 12:42 PM
Your axle bearings are shot. Take the axle out and check to see if it messed up the bearing carrier. More than likely, if there are metal shavings, the inside of the carrier will be FUBAR.

woodring88
08-28-2007, 01:08 PM
Thanx, if the carrier is shot, do i have to replace the whole swingarm or what??
PS. I just ordered a clymer manual online! lol

Scro
08-28-2007, 01:13 PM
No, you can just buy the carrier. It would be wise to buy aftermarket, since it will be about the same price as stock.

woodring88
08-28-2007, 01:16 PM
Ok thanx!!!!
Is there a way that i can prevent this from happening in the future?

Scro
08-28-2007, 01:18 PM
Regular maintanence to begin with;)

Ever so often set the rear end off the ground to check for any kind of play. If you buy aftermarket there will be a grease fitting for periodic greasing.

woodring88
08-28-2007, 01:20 PM
Haha I wasn't sure how to even go about greasing the stock one, because my friend told me that i should have greased it and it wouldn't have happened. Thank you a lot tho. I thought i was going to have to be buying a new swingarm!!

400exrider707
08-29-2007, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by woodring88
Haha I wasn't sure how to even go about greasing the stock one, because my friend told me that i should have greased it and it wouldn't have happened. Thank you a lot tho. I thought i was going to have to be buying a new swingarm!!

Stock ones you would need to physically take apart and grease.

Aftermarket billet units are going to be cheaper than stock by far so that would be the route to go. They can usually be had for around $135 on ebay with bearings included. The bearigns in the aftermarket units are a doulbe row, meanign they are about twice as wide as stock bearings and should last longer.