PDA

View Full Version : 3RD Gear bad: part 2

Sick0
10-28-2002, 08:01 PM
OK I tore down the entire motor and tranny and every thing is fine. All the gears looks good, the forks don't look bent, every thing seems to be tight and every thing looks how it should. In fact I was surprised how good in shape the whole motor was. The clutchs still look alright.

I'm stumped, What could becausing my problem. The problem started when I first bought my quad. When I would shifted into 3rd it would pop out into a false neutral and grind the gears, it only happen once in a while but the problem kept getting worse until about a mouth ago. When I was riding around in 3rd it would surge, like some thing was slpping, almost like the clutch was slipping, but it only happen in 3rd gear. no when i put it in 3rd it just grinds likes its in neutral. And when ever I shift into 3rd under load it would pop out.

Does anybody have any Idea would this could be. Whats could let the gear surge like a slipping clutch and let the gear grind . thanks.

Sick0
10-28-2002, 09:00 PM
Help, please. But know I think its the clutcth.

Castor-426ex
10-28-2002, 09:06 PM
pull all the plates apart....check em out...the springs...the basket....everything related to the tranny...it might be something small....but if you were never able to get 3rd gear...im not sure what it is if the forks, linkage..and gears are ok....how is the shift shaft?

mxracer111
10-28-2002, 09:57 PM
i have had this same exact problem with 3 different 400ex motors. the "gear dogs" on the gears are rounded over causeing the gears to pop out into the false neutral in 3rd. the first time i tore one down i did not dee it.....i took the gears to a professional and they showed me right away.....then when you see the new gears youll understand.....i would put in new forks while your there......and what ever gear meshes with 2rd will need replaced too because they will wear together.....but the problem your describing is exactly what has happend to me.

Leo
10-29-2002, 05:23 AM
if it's only happening in 3rd I doubt it's related to the clutch...

look the 3rd gear assembly over carefully (including the related fork / drum / etc..)..

if you still don't see anything take those parts to a good shope and let them look them over..

sounds like MXracer111 is right on the money to me!

Leo

Sick0
10-29-2002, 12:50 PM
I hope your right. Thanks I will let you know on my progress.

Sick0
10-29-2002, 04:49 PM
OK i looked at my third gear and it looks like the dogs could be rounded. But it ain't round that much at all. Only a little bit.

mxracer111
10-29-2002, 05:25 PM
thats exactly what i thought about mine.....but when you get new gears youll see the big difference.....but it only takes that little bit to cause that big problem check all the other gears for that same thing

Sick0
10-29-2002, 05:38 PM
I did check the rest of the gears and they look fine. It looks like the dogs are sharper. So I should replace the 3rd gear with the dogs on it and the gear next to it, and the forks.

mxracer111
10-29-2002, 05:40 PM
thats what i would do.....i would do the forks just cause im there......and they take a lot of abuse.

Sick0
11-03-2002, 01:15 PM
Well I order My parts Its cost me -$420. I also bought the shifting drum on the safe side.