PDA

View Full Version : Honda 300EX or Yamaha Blaster?

bulldogfallon
08-27-2007, 09:08 PM
My son is 13 and about 5'6"...Turning 14 in January.

He has raced the last couple of years....very safe and responsible rider....

He ridden our DRX90 a few times, but is too big for that....raced a 400EX, but too many cc's for him to race at some tracks....he seemed to like a Blaster with a Honda CR motor in it...(A friend let him borrow it)

Well now I need to buy something that won't break the bank, but still be good for a few seasons

I found a spotless 2004 Blaster with Toomey Pipe, V Force Reeds, Nerfs etc for $1800 and I also have access to a 2004 Honda 300Ex that is stock for $1500.

Any advice on which way to go? Blaster is more ready to go, but will he outgrow it too soon?

I am in the know on the minis, but the Blaster is unkown territory for me.

Any help would be appreciated

ecmini1
08-27-2007, 09:37 PM
Gary,
We have built both.
Its a toss up I know this dosent help much but go with the blaster its cheaper performance and is reliable. Blaster is also lighter than the 300ex. Your choice sounds better for the blaster in this case.

QuadJunkies
08-28-2007, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by ecmini1
Gary,
We have built both.
Its a toss up I know this dosent help much but go with the blaster its cheaper performance and is reliable. Blaster is also lighter than the 300ex. Your choice sounds better for the blaster in this case.

tireman43
08-28-2007, 11:26 AM
If your thinking inexpensive go with the blaster. The 300ex will run stronger and longer though. As with bikes the 4 strokes are the future. My choice would be the Honda. Good luck.

Andyman17dad
08-28-2007, 01:14 PM
I would throw a vote in for the Honda!

300exOH
08-28-2007, 01:46 PM
It all depends on rider skill. I would say the 300ex is easier for beginning riders because of the smoother power. If he is more skilled the blaster would be good too but its 2 stroke power requires a little more skill but not much. Also if he is a fast grower he may find the 300 a bit more comfy. The blaster is a bit smaller and easier to toss around but he could quickly out grow it.

I would let him ride both and decide for himself. The 300ex is def more reliable but a more expensive engine to rebuild. I think they will both cost about the same to be race ready though. Both will need some extra width, better tires, kill switch, etc...