PDA

View Full Version : fuel petcock problem

Sparky_20
08-27-2007, 07:50 PM
i went to start up the quad today and it wouldnt run. I checked for fuel and I can only get fuel on the reserve position. I tried blowing air into the petcock with it in the "on" position and no gas will flow. What can I do besides replace it?

project400ex19
08-27-2007, 08:00 PM
Yeah mine did that for a while, just run it in reserve, im not sure what the problem is exactly, but it will run in reserve the same as it will on "on". It isn't going to hurt anything running it on reserve.

fastredrider44
08-27-2007, 08:01 PM
just be sure to always have plenty in the tank.;)

EX LONERIDER
08-27-2007, 08:15 PM
did you remove it from the tank and inspect it or just did a visual? if you didnt remove it, do so and check that nothing in the pivot is in the way and blocking it. then take some solvent and clean the inner screen... try running some oil through it too. mine sticks a little bit when it sits.

Sparky_20
08-27-2007, 08:59 PM
ill take the tank off tomarrow and drain all the gas out and look at the petcock. Im about to sell the quad so i want it to work perfectly

Sparky_20
08-28-2007, 09:36 PM
well, i took the gas tank off and removed the petcock today. The screen is free and clear and it looks as if the petcock is riveted together. If I turn the tank on its backside then fuel will run out if its in the on position, just not when its mounted to the bike. It will run out fine from the reserve position. I checked with honda and the new petcock is like 70 bucks! any other ideas?

project400ex19
08-29-2007, 06:36 AM
ebay, or sell as is, just let the seller know that it will run on reserve.

NacsMXer
08-29-2007, 07:24 PM
I was having the exact same issue with the petcock on my 400. I took it out of the tank, the screen looked pretty clean like you said. Anyways, I took the screen out completely and shot carb cleaner through every crevice while moving the petcock through all the positions. I then shot the heck out of it with compressed air from a blow gun in every position.

I never identified what the problem was but something had to be obstructing the "ON" circuit as gas would only trickle out in that position before I cleaned it.

I'd say try cleaning very thoroughly like I did because it solved my problem completely.

86 Quad R
08-30-2007, 06:55 AM
oddly enough. i've seen a slime type buildup develope in and around the petcock area, stopping up the system. as mentioned, ya can remove the plastic screen allowing better access for blowing it out with compressed air.

Sparky_20
08-30-2007, 10:40 PM
i replaced it and all is well now. Thanks for the input.

86 Quad R
09-04-2007, 06:24 AM
for future reference you can take those petcocks apart and clean them. over the weekend i worked on one that had the same problem.

very easy to do provided ya have a tap -n- die set.

JOEX
09-04-2007, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
for future reference you can take those petcocks apart and clean them. over the weekend i worked on one that had the same problem.

very easy to do provided ya have a tap -n- die set.
Why the need for a tap and die set?

86 Quad R
09-04-2007, 01:55 PM
because with the 400ex. the indicator/retainer plate that holds the selector switch in place is held in place with rivots. in order to re-fasten the assembly you'll need to drill and tap for screws.

the older generation pet cocks of this type were servicable and could be taken apart.

JOEX
09-04-2007, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
because with the 400ex. the indicator/retainer plate that holds the selector switch in place is held in place with rivots. in order to re-fasten the assembly you'll need to drill and tap for screws.

the older generation pet cocks of this type were servicable and could be taken apart.

I've been wanting to take mine out to clean it. Hopefully I wont have to take it apart.