PDA

View Full Version : long bolt on oil filter cover

10-30-2001, 06:38 AM
Okay, Ive posted this thread in another forum but Im not sure which forum it goes in.

I was changing my oil filter out this weekend on my 400ex and the long bolt snapped off at the threads. I SWEAR it wasnt even getting tight.... it as barely getting snug then it just broke. No big sound, it just nicely broke off. I put the other short bolt on and no oil was leaking. I rode it all day Sunday, periodically checking for leakage and found none. Here's the questions...

1) How hard is it to take the side cover off the block so I can E-Z out the remaining bolt?

2) Is that long bolt only supposed to be torked down 1 time then replaced each time you change the oil filter? It seems like its made with real soft steel.

Thanks for the help!!!

-Mark

moto93
10-30-2001, 07:45 AM
It doesn't seem to me like it should come out to hard. Maybe a reversable drill with a small bit will get enough bite on it to back it out? While it isn't to hard to remove the cover I'm pretty sure the bolt holes don't go all the way through so I would try to get it out without removing it just to save yourself the hassle.
I've changed the oil on mine many times and am still using the same bolts but I know what you mean, it don't take much to break 'em.

JabberJaw
10-30-2001, 07:51 AM
You will need to drain your oil, then make sure you purchase a gasket for that side. Once you remove the cover, you can get to the bolt easily.

The bolt does go all the way thru, as it helps hold the case cover on. I know this because I changed my clutch on my bike. I snapped one of the bolts that compress the clutch basket! Smacked a nail on the end of it and twisted, came right out :-)

crday98
10-30-2001, 10:21 AM
hey jabberjaw,you are going to ruin your rep by giving out helpful information like that.i think that is three i have seen from you.CUT IT OUT!:D :devil :blah :p :)

400exRacerX
10-30-2001, 08:58 PM
Well well well looks like someone did the same thing as me, there is a thread very far back into the vintage of exriders when i did this, all you need is a gasket, gasket scraper, new bolt, and some pacients. The bolt isnt bottomed so you dont need a e-z out. I took the bolt out with my hands, I HIGHLY RECCOMEND YOU GET A TORQUE WRENCH SO IT DOENS'T HAPPEN AGAIN! heres the link read it all,http://www.exriders.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000633.html

10-31-2001, 11:59 AM
RacerX, you are da man!!!! Thanks a million bro!

10-31-2001, 12:14 PM
okay, I went to the archive, but you asked the same question that Im stuck on. when you take the cover off, does anything else come out.... will something just fall out that Im not aware of, or will it just come off and everything inside the motor and on the case cover just stay in-place? Thanks so much for your help. I appears that I wasnt the only one frustrated and cussing that bolt.

Chef
10-31-2001, 03:30 PM
everything should stay where it is when you take the cover off . if stuff falls out, you have a bigger problem than just a broken bolt!

400exRacerX
10-31-2001, 06:24 PM
what you do is un screw all the bolts holding on the side cover, take the bolts out, and now the cover should just be sitting on there. On the bottom of the cover should be alittle tab, take a rubber mallet of some sort (something soft) and keep tapping the tab, dont hammer on the tab just tap it and eventually the cover will come off. Nothing will pop out on you, just make sure when you take the cover off you check that all the o rings by the oil lines are still there and you should be fine and also read this thread on the torque specs on the side cover bolts,http://www.exriders.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000677.html