PDA

View Full Version : 20hr valve adjustment

07 charger
08-27-2007, 03:42 PM
i was just wondering if anyone would know about the 20 hour valve maitenance. i buddy and i both got 450's at the about the same time. he got his done and mine has not yet. we would both run about the same. now his is considerably faster. so i guess the question wuld be can the valves not being adjusted make me lose that much power. in a 300 hundred foot race he's beating me by about 2 bike lengths. before it was whoever got the best holeshot would win by about that amount. i know need to get it done no matter what. thanks for any thoughts.

250X_project
09-01-2007, 05:10 PM
Yes, that valves being out of adjustment will do this to you. What happens is, as the engine runs, the cam, rockers, and valves all wear. The valves tend to wear considerably faster. When the valves wear, they sink further into the cylinder head. This brings them closer to the rocker arms, which in-turn minimizes or even eliminates your valve lash. With little or no valve lash your valves stay open longer. Compression, and therefore power, is lost.

Hope my explanation was helpful.

-Adam

07 charger
09-11-2007, 07:50 PM
thanks that makes a bit more sense. would have said something sooner but computer went down. i just got it back from the shop it definately runs alot better, but his is still a little faster. he says he had nothing else done. i dont believe him. anyway thanks again

250r4life
09-24-2007, 03:18 PM
what brand of 450s do you have?

Toadz400
10-11-2007, 04:20 PM
I've had my YFZ450 for over two years now and I believe just now I will need to adjust (shim) them. I've checked them before about a year ago and they were within tolerance and it still runs great. I guess mine must've been built on a good day because I always heard that these valves go out of tolerance very quickly.

07 charger
10-12-2007, 06:50 PM
we both have hondas. mine was doing pretty good untill i crashed. havent got back on it yet. it definately ran better. i overshot a jump and flat landed. in case you have done that it hurts. thanks for all the input. hopefully the injuries heal soon and ill get back out there.