PDA

View Full Version : 86' 250R Head Stuck....Any Ideas?

darren250r
08-27-2007, 03:04 PM
I'm pulling apart my girlfriend's 250r to redo the top end and the head is stuck. The motor has never been taken apart before and it seems like the head gasket and a little corrosion around the studs has bonded the head to the cylinder. I had the same problem years ago with my 87 but I finally got it off.

Any ideas for how to get this off are welcome. I've soaked it with PB blaster and banged the crap out of it with my dead blow hammer - no luck.

Darren

86 Quad R
08-27-2007, 03:18 PM
got a rubber rubber hammer?

darren250r
08-27-2007, 04:07 PM
Dead blow hammer is a plastic hammer with sand in it. More effective than a rubber mallet. Thanks for the idea though.

Darren

86 Quad R
08-27-2007, 04:13 PM
i like rubber best on cycle engine aluminum parts. :cool:

redrooster310r
08-27-2007, 05:26 PM
leave it mounted on the bike and take the head stay , head bolts and washers off. kick that ***** till she pops off. works for me every time.

Aceman
08-27-2007, 05:38 PM
I'd keep the head studs soaked with pb while also using a torch to warm the head up. If that still doesn't get it off the cylinder, dare I say it, but you might have to wedge something between the cylinder and head if possible. This is always a last resort but you gotta do what you gotta do, you know. If it looks like it's going to damage something make sure it's the head, those are cheap on Ebay.

beerock
08-27-2007, 09:03 PM
hit it on the cylinder headstay point

another thing you can do to loosen the head up is get two nuts and back them onto each other and tighten them, then either take the studs out or leave them in and do it to every stud.

that should break the bond with the head and the studs(if they are corroded together)

also, you can hit it with a rubber mallet around 4 points to loosen it up. if that doesnt help then use the plastic one.(you def could mash the aluminum with the plastic mallet.

let us know how you make out

oh btw

if you do use heat make sure you keep the heat on the head and not near the studs

RichM1983
08-27-2007, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by redrooster310r
leave it mounted on the bike and take the head stay , head bolts and washers off. kick that ***** till she pops off. works for me every time.

I never even thought of something like that. Thats a great idea.

darren250r
08-29-2007, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by beerock
hit it on the cylinder headstay point

another thing you can do to loosen the head up is get two nuts and back them onto each other and tighten them, then either take the studs out or leave them in and do it to every stud.

that should break the bond with the head and the studs(if they are corroded together)

also, you can hit it with a rubber mallet around 4 points to loosen it up. if that doesnt help then use the plastic one.(you def could mash the aluminum with the plastic mallet.

let us know how you make out

oh btw

if you do use heat make sure you keep the heat on the head and not near the studs

I'll try some heat and if that doesn't work I'll back the studs out. That is a good idea. I've been beating the crap out of it with the dead blow hammer and it leaves no marks at all in the aluminum. This thing is really stuck on there!!!

Darren

fireburns99
08-29-2007, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
i like rubber best on cycle engine aluminum parts. :cool:
The dead blow hammer is rubber on the outside, but filled with sand. It's one of the greatest tools to have.

BTW Darren do you ever go down to oceano? I'm getting ready to head up there on the 20th.

redrooster310r
08-29-2007, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by RichM1983
I never even thought of something like that. Thats a great idea. 25 years riding ........hondas

wilkin250r
08-29-2007, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by redrooster310r

Especially if you leave the spark plug wire on and actually get combustion. That'll take that head of in a heartbeat. Now all you have to do is find it in your neighbor's yard...

Scott-300ex
08-29-2007, 05:39 PM
And hope the head don't blow up in your face rather than find it in your neighbors yard.

That just makes me cringe when you say use heat, you'll distort the head and prolly the jug as well, I recommend not doing that. Dead blow it from every angle.

Maybe stick a screwdriver in the spark plug hole and go that side to side and it might slide off.

beerock
08-29-2007, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex
And hope the head don't blow up in your face rather than find it in your neighbors yard.

That just makes me cringe when you say use heat, you'll distort the head and prolly the jug as well, I recommend not doing that. Dead blow it from every angle.

Maybe stick a screwdriver in the spark plug hole and go that side to side and it might slide off.

heat? distort the head? come on now....

its part of the cumbustion chamber and sees heat higher then any torch.

it is a last resort, i still say try to loosen the studs then hit it up.

I had this problem along time ago and i got it off with a rubber mallet.. just keep hitting upwards on the edge of the head in four criss cross points and it should move

Scott-300ex
08-29-2007, 07:59 PM
Uh 20lbs sledge?

LoL

Take the whole jug off and press it out with a press.

86250rrider
08-29-2007, 09:51 PM
yeah.......... then it will pull all 6 threads out of the jug!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Scott-300ex
08-31-2007, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by 86250rrider
yeah.......... then it will pull all 6 threads out of the jug!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

No, its prolly stuck to the head base and jug base. It pretty well couldn't be stuck to the stud, If you've ever done a top end then you'd know wut I'm talking about.

86250rrider
08-31-2007, 02:42 PM
unless i read it wrong ...he couldn't get the head off,not the cylinder.i was joking when i posted......the cylinder base studs have nothing to do with the head coming off. and im aware of the studs not fitting that tight in the head. and yes...ive done about 7 2-stroke top ends. but if i have any problems...ill be sure and ask you !!! OH WISE ONE ROFFLMMFBO

QUOTE]Originally posted by Scott-300ex
No, its prolly stuck to the head base and jug base. It pretty well couldn't be stuck to the stud, If you've ever done a top end then you'd know wut I'm talking about. [/QUOTE] :D

Scott-300ex
09-04-2007, 02:09 PM
I'm saying take the cylinder off to get the head off.

:rolleyes:

darren250r
09-05-2007, 08:14 PM
I finally got the head loose without ruining anything! Over the last week or so I have been putting penetrating oil on each of the head studs. Today I heated it up with MAPP gas at each stud until the penetrating oil started bubbling all the rust out from around each stud. Finally after some heating, oiling and pounding I broke the seal!

Thanks for all the input and in the end heat and penetrating oil was the solution. Neither worked on their own though.

Darren

Aceman
09-05-2007, 10:03 PM
Glad to hear it!! Heat and penetrating lube usually work 95% of the time for most anything. The other 5% involves a BFH or press!