PDA

View Full Version : Back to College

Quad18star
08-27-2007, 11:59 AM
Well after being out of college for the last 3 years , I've decided it's now time to return. Went to the local college this morning and talked with a program coordinator about signing up for his Mining Engineering Tech. program .

It turns out , that because I completed a Civil Engineering program a few years back , I'll be ommited from some of the courses that are the same or similar. :D All I need to do now is find $700 for the tuition and I'm all set.

Because some of the courses between Civil and Mining were pretty close to the same , my first semester all I have to complete is 2 courses ( 8 hrs per week) ... second semester is another 2 courses plus a 1 week field camp.

1 year of schooling all completed with 4 courses ... I LOVE IT !!!!!:devil:

Sorry just had to share my exciting news . hahaha :cool:

KXRida
08-27-2007, 12:04 PM
I started today. It wasn't too bad, but now I have to do work haha. I just breezed through high school and still kept a 97 gpa.

450raider
08-27-2007, 12:16 PM
yeah you guys are pretty lucky good luck and do what you can with it, i got screwed out of going to a university a few years ago and since then ive considered community college or trade school but id hate to blow that kind of money and it be a bust and i dont know if 21 soon 22 is too old to get started.

Scro
08-27-2007, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by 450raider
yeah you guys are pretty lucky good luck and do what you can with it, i got screwed out of going to a university a few years ago and since then ive considered community college or trade school but id hate to blow that kind of money and it be a bust and i dont know if 21 soon 22 is too old to get started.

You are never too old to go back to school. I've had classes with some people as old as their 60's:eek2:

Raptor68
08-27-2007, 12:40 PM
Cool...it'll definitely be worth it!

mineralgrey01gt
08-27-2007, 12:43 PM
i started back last week, well 2nd semester so far at this college, 3 semesters at a previous one. I have people that are 40+yrs old in my classes. Its never too late to go to school.

Quad18star
08-29-2007, 07:00 PM
Well it's official now .... I went and signed the papers today.

It's going to be a little different having to sit in a class and take notes and do assignments after being out of college for so long but it's gotta be done .

Classes start on Tuesday . I got class form 9:30am until 4:30 PM then on Friday from 9:30am until 11:30am ...... pretty good schedule. :D

NacsMXer
08-29-2007, 07:30 PM
Hey congrats man, good luck on going back. Studying sucks though haha, i'm all in it right now in my last year at Marquette. It'll pay off for sure though! :macho

esr250r86
08-29-2007, 08:09 PM
I just graduated from high school this year and just started my freshman year of college last week and it is tough.For the first week I already have a presentation to do and lots of homework in a few of my other classes. I have five classes and go four days a week so I have a pretty busy schedule but cant forget about the riding and racing on the weekends.Hopefully I can make it through allright and graduate,it will all be worth it.

Unverfehrt400ex
08-29-2007, 08:49 PM
just curious. how come you didnt stick with the civil engineering??

AtvMxRider
08-29-2007, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Well after being out of college for the last 3 years , I've decided it's now time to return. Went to the local college this morning and talked with a program coordinator about signing up for his Mining Engineering Tech. program .

It turns out , that because I completed a Civil Engineering program a few years back , I'll be ommited from some of the courses that are the same or similar. :D All I need to do now is find $700 for the tuition and I'm all set.

Because some of the courses between Civil and Mining were pretty close to the same , my first semester all I have to complete is 2 courses ( 8 hrs per week) ... second semester is another 2 courses plus a 1 week field camp.

1 year of schooling all completed with 4 courses ... I LOVE IT !!!!!:devil:

Sorry just had to share my exciting news . hahaha :cool: :macho

Quad18star
08-29-2007, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Unverfehrt400ex
just curious. how come you didnt stick with the civil engineering??

Expanding my possibilities.

I live in a Mining community and right now there is a HUGE demand for guys and it is expected to be busy for the next 25 years . With this type of education , I can get a job with the mines and make rougly $65 000 a year to start off with .... and after that it's endless possibilities .

I've got buddies making over $100 000 a year right now ...which is not bad for a few 25 year olds if you ask me . ;)

When I first entered college I had to choose between Civil and Mining.... at the time I didn't want to do the Mining thing since my dad , grand fathers , uncles , cousins have all been or are involved in mining . I didn't want to do the dirty work at the time ... but now that I look back at it all , I should have done this 4 years ago since there are so many possibilities around here . Plus back then I wanted to move away from this town .... now I want to keep my roots planted here since this is where my family and friends are. Priorities have changed. :)

derekhonda
08-30-2007, 03:46 PM
Good luck to you bud, college isn't so tough as long as you stay on top of your work.

Doober
08-30-2007, 04:20 PM
i just started college for to be a powersport tech. only one year...classes monday through thursday and only 730-145...i cant wait to be done...o and i forgot to mention that i now get 52% off anything Matco makes :devil:

but i dunno about the whole mining thing and being underground, i dont think i would do it.

Quad18star
08-30-2007, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Doober
i just started college for to be a powersport tech. only one year...classes monday through thursday and only 730-145...i cant wait to be done...o and i forgot to mention that i now get 52% off anything Matco makes :devil:

but i dunno about the whole mining thing and being underground, i dont think i would do it.

Hey buddy ... pal .... best guy in the world ..... I'll send you the list of tools that I need , ok? :devil:

Mining isn't that bad as long as you don't mind knowing that there is millions of tons of rock over your head ... but when you're down there you don't think about it.

It's extremely hot in the summer and cold in the winter ... plus dark and wet .... but I can think of jobs that are worse . When you're making close to $100 000 a year , you don't really mind it so i've been told. ;)

Doober
08-30-2007, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Hey buddy ... pal .... best guy in the world ..... I'll send you the list of tools that I need , ok? :devil:

Mining isn't that bad as long as you don't mind knowing that there is millions of tons of rock over your head ... but when you're down there you don't think about it.

It's extremely hot in the summer and cold in the winter ... plus dark and wet .... but I can think of jobs that are worse . When you're making close to $100 000 a year , you don't really mind it so i've been told. ;)

haha believe me i would do it, but they limit you to one tool box and a certain amount of orders on the same tool :( im already planning on spending 4500 and thats with my discount:macho , but yea if i was able to make 100,000 a year mining i think id do it too. is it a coal mine, diamond mine or what?

sly400ex
08-30-2007, 07:22 PM
What kept you away from the trades (plumbing, hvac, etc) or the aviation mechanic route?:confused:

Quad18star
08-30-2007, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Doober
it a coal mine, diamond mine or what?

Nickel ... they've been mining it in the area since the late 1890s and they forecast it to continue for many more years to come. Experts figure it'll be about 75 years before all the major ore bodies run out.

What kept you away from the trades (plumbing, hvac, etc) or the aviation mechanic route?

Mostly that the mines are hiring like never before. Many of the guys finishing their 1st year of the college program are offered jobs for when they graduate .

The trades are still interesting , but all the training is done out of town at another college a few hours away .

As for the Aviation route , I had the chance to talk with a few guys in the industry , and even though it's a great job with great pay , you're away from home between 85-90% of the time . Once I really started to think about it , it's not something I want to be dealing with. My family and friends are here ... I'd much rather spend my nights at home in my own bed , in my own house , rather than in some bunkhouse in the middle of nowhere or half way around the world.