PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Basket Question

nickk
08-27-2007, 09:10 AM
Is the nut holding the clutch basket on is it a locknut?.. or just hit it with the impact it will come right off?... also how do you get it back on, with the impact?

Nates400ex
08-28-2007, 11:22 AM
In the manual it says to use a basket tool to hold the basket while removal and install. Torque to specs.

dariusld
08-28-2007, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Nates400ex
In the manual it says to use a basket tool to hold the basket while removal and install. Torque to specs.

I think that is the point of the impact, is not having to use the holder.

honda400exr
08-28-2007, 02:40 PM
I actually just got done building my 416 and putting it back together so I had to take mine off for the new timing chain....There's a little divit in the nut and shaft where they pound the edge of the nut in so it acts kind of like a lock. I took a small screw driver and a hammer litely tapping between the shaft and nut to flex the edge of the nut out. once that was done I put it in fifth gear and used a pair of channel lock plyers to hold the sprocket (you'll need a friend or someone for that) then I took a breaker bar and broke the nut loose. The transmission will help as leverage because of the gear reduction so the person holding the sprocket won't struggle so much. once everything is done just reverse the process to put it back together. The nut should be torqued to 80ftlbs and then remember to take a punch and tap the edge of the bolt back into the shaft. It doesn't really matter if it's at a new location or not.

Whatever you do don't use a bar to put between the pieces of the clutch basket because the pressure will snap them off. NOT GOOD!

It's not the right way to do it but it's faster and cheaper than waiting on the tool that you need to hold everything still. Hope that helps!