PDA

View Full Version : Air box lid

cthomps07
08-27-2007, 06:17 AM
When putting on after market exhausts are you guys keeping the air box lids or taking them off? I am wondering if it will even be worth getting a new exhaust if I am keeping the lid and adding a twin air filter?

Sjorge450R
08-27-2007, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by cthomps07
When putting on after market exhausts are you guys keeping the air box lids or taking them off? I am wondering if it will even be worth getting a new exhaust if I am keeping the lid and adding a twin air filter?

go ahead and just hang the lid on your garage wall. I am currently using a stock filter and i have a outerwares air box cover that just goes over the entire box. Jetting stayed about the same. I had to drop a size on the main tho.

The only thing i use the lid for now, is when im washing it, and when I am hauling the quad in rain. Thats it.

08-27-2007, 10:45 AM
I ran a closed air box for years with an HMF slip on. It made a big difference. I say go for it.

redrider03
08-27-2007, 11:25 AM
I have a full FMF Factory 4 exhaust system on mine. It came with a free jet kit/ free shipping($545). I still have my stock air filter and lid on it, and there was a bunch of power that was uncorked. I'll eventually put the aluminum airbox on it when I have time to buy an aftermarket air filter for it. I'd definately so do it. Check out team11moto.com. That's where I bought mine.

New450r
08-27-2007, 06:21 PM
I also have a factory 4 pipe and powerbomb header but I run the stage 2 jet kit that says to remove the air box lid made lots more power than the stage one jet but mine didnt come with a very big jet I went ahead and got a 185main. but I want to get a lid from Ehs. because I ride in a lot of mud and water.

Sjorge450R
08-27-2007, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by New450r
I also have a factory 4 pipe and powerbomb header but I run the stage 2 jet kit that says to remove the air box lid made lots more power than the stage one jet but mine didnt come with a very big jet I went ahead and got a 185main. but I want to get a lid from Ehs. because I ride in a lot of mud and water.

me too and all i use is an outerwears box cover. Its great. I was scared about using it at first, but i put it to the test. Last time i was out riding, i blaster through every mud puddle and water hole, and no problems at all. Not even a sputter.

HB-Roost
08-28-2007, 05:22 AM
Keep it on if you like, you will still see a respectable gain...but if you are looking for the most, take it off! Unless you ride some extremely harsh conditions, regular maintainance will take care of everything....and the increase in just taking the lid off is huge on these bikes. The airboxes on these bikes are extremely restrictive-and if you are running an 06+ bike it is even more so.

bananas
08-28-2007, 07:00 AM
Stock lid is ok... If you go HRC kit, They tell you to run without the lid.... I tried running with the lid... What a joke, you can't, must come off....

Go with the outerwares cover.... a must... Works great....

cthomps07
08-28-2007, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the responses everyone. Looks like the air box lid is coming off and I will be getting an outerwears cover for it. I am still kinda worried as I ride in mud quite alot......not by choice but its the only way we can get to the track, and some places where there is river crossing. How is it when in the sand is it still protective enough? I am sure if I clean the outerwears and filter after every ride or so I would be alright?

hendershot106
08-28-2007, 08:45 AM
take ur lid and cut out the back portion of it where the rectangular part of it is--- that is what the XC racers do that i know to get the greater airflow but keep most of the mud out!

trx450jason
08-28-2007, 02:34 PM
I made an HRC style lid myself. I had bog when I took the lid completely off and couldn't get it dailed in right. Filter stays cleaner this way too and the lid keeps the big stuff out. Instead of cutting the whole back section out of the lid I drilled 4 1" holes in the back portion of the lid. No complaints at all.

Jem450ER
08-29-2007, 10:28 PM
Whats this cover? i'm having trouble finding it

450rJam
09-03-2007, 08:22 AM
Jem450er, you prob. dont have one

your sig says you have hrc kit..............you must have had it installed at the dealership ?

they took it off (06+ run no lid) I am suprised you didnt get the stock parts that where removed. always ask for the old parts even if they are trash (its a small bit of insurance that the work was done)