PDA

View Full Version : front motor mount bolt stuck

mineralgrey01gt
08-26-2007, 06:48 PM
I just recently purchased an 86 ATC 250r motor for my trx 250r and the front motor mount bolt is stuck. He got one of the motor mounts off the motor and the other is still attatched. Has anyone had this happen before? I tried to get it out but I couldn't. I was told that the impact I was using wasn't big enough. I had it on a very small compressor and it is understandable that it would not have enough psi to break it loose. Any help would be appreciated as within the next 3 weeks, I plan to be riding this thing.

redrooster310r
08-26-2007, 07:18 PM
yup use a large impact.... lube it up good.... try yield.... a real good crud buster. that happenes because of the 2 different metals being next to each other... and ... well i hate to say it.... a bad design by honda , with that bolt open to the weather n all. when u put it back together.... load it up with anti sieze put silicone to close the opening and dont power wash 2 hard near it.

GOTFEAR
08-27-2007, 09:00 PM
get a breaker bar and twist it until it breaks off

mineralgrey01gt
08-28-2007, 12:25 PM
thanks for the advice yall, but why would i just break it off?

chris46250r
08-28-2007, 12:36 PM
If you are not trying to save the bolt, cut the bolt off even with the motor on the threaded end of the bolt. Center punch it and drill a hole in the end of the bolt. Dont really go much bigger than half the size of the bolt unless you are confident you are drilling straight and not going to hit the motor. This will create some heat and lessen some presure on the bolt. Quickly take the impact and go for it.

beerock
08-28-2007, 03:48 PM
just take a center punch and bang it out with a hammer it should shock it enough to free it

if that doesnt help take the bottom two bolts of the mount off(where it attaches to the frame) and try to see if it will spin then bang it again if you get the bolt to spin then its seized to the mount not the case

be careful, if you mess up the cases in that area your screwed

dont cut the bolt!!!!!!

if it still wont come out get some penetration lube and try again all you need to do is spin the bolt and then it should come out.

unles the bolt had some sort of score on it and its wedged in with the cases...

Aceman
08-28-2007, 05:12 PM
Impact and penetrating lube, maybe a little heat, and then use a punch to get it out. Back the nut off just a little bit and put the impact on the bolt head, while it's spinning have someone else hit the end of the bolt with the nut still on.

If all else fails, I'd weld an 8" piece of 1/2" all-thread onto the bolt head. Slide a 7" pipe slightly larger than the all-thread over it but large enough for the bolt head to fit through. Then use a large washer with a nut and start tightening. This will draw the bolt into the pipe and out of the motor, this can also be used on stuck pivot bolts as well.

mineralgrey01gt
08-28-2007, 07:29 PM
my brother took it with him to where he works today and he said, he has it soaking and bolt did move but he didnt have time to finish taking it out. It has just one motor mount on it and its not a motor mount for my TRX, its one for an ATC. I can hit the motor mount with a hammer and it will spin around so im thinking that it has some build up or something where the opening in the cases are.

redwing310r
08-29-2007, 06:28 AM
use a pnuematic hand held mini jack hammer thing . iforget what they call it.

Scott-300ex
08-29-2007, 08:43 PM
It doens't matter the size of the compressor its all in the psi.

A 60 gallon compressor can have the regulator set to 80.

A 2.5 gallon can have the regulator set to 120psi.

The 2.5 gallon would be more powerfull, you would prolly have to go in spurts for the compressor to keep up so it don't run out of air.

Its not in the compressor man, its all psi.

Soak it with Pb for a couple days or so.

mineralgrey01gt
08-29-2007, 08:53 PM
the impact goes up to 125psi and the compressor wasnt set for a high psi or anything close to it. The compressor is old as dirt also, probably 14 years now, my brother called me earlier and told me the motor will be ready to go tomorrow so itll be in the R by this weekend.

86 Quad R
08-30-2007, 06:38 AM
ya gonna do a leakdown test and all that good stuff before bolting it in? ;)

mineralgrey01gt
08-30-2007, 06:41 AM
yea i am, it needs a new headgasket on it now, so that will be going on as well, so will a polished clutch cover, this one is busted right below the front motor mount bolt, looks like the previous owner was beating on the bolt and hit the clutch cover :( , but as far as everything else it looks good.

mineralgrey01gt
09-01-2007, 06:15 PM
well we got the bolt out, but cracked the case where the front mount is. It cracked about 3/4 of an inch but on the outside of the case, not towards the internal part of the case so we lucked out some on that. It can be fixed and will be but it still sucks it happened