PDA

View Full Version : motorcycle schools...need opinions

05Z400rdr
08-26-2007, 02:52 PM
Well I've been thinking and talking about it with my parents about what I want to do with my future a lot lately.

Originally I wanted to go to college and major in mechanical engineering. Then I wanted to go into something at college that I would have the skills to start a major ATV parts fabrication shop or something of that sort. Then, I knew for sure what I wanted to do, I wanted to be a mechanic for a Pro ATV MX racer.

Then lately, I've been really considering going as far as I can go with racing, and going pro in the future. My parents used to be totally against racing, but recently I asked my dad how far he would go with it if he was me, he said "as far as you can" ...which really surprised me.

I have gotten a lot of people's opinions about how far they think I could go, they all said that if I stick with it, they think I deffinately have the capability to go professional, considering how good I am now at the age of 15.

But that sounded awesome to me, but I was questionable about what I want to do or not considering that if I would, I don't think I would have much time to spend with my future family...is that true or how much time would that take up?

And I deffinately want to go somewhere after highschool. (I'm going into 10th grade now.)

I was thinking about one of those "motorcycle mechanics schools" in case if I decided not to "go pro" then I could be a pro's mechanic, but after talking to a few pro's and mechanics, they say that in their opinion it is a waste of money that you don't learn too much. And today my dad was telling me about a "motorcycle technology" school thats here in york that I could check out..

Those of you with experience with these schools or anything of that sort or have any suggestions or opinions on what I should do, post them. This has been bothering me for about a year now.

Sorry for such a huge post.

Thanks,
Landon

250ex13
08-26-2007, 05:48 PM
bump.
i'm basically in the same situation as you.
do you happen to know the name of the motorcycle tech school in NY?

my88r
08-26-2007, 06:16 PM
:macho

miller821
08-26-2007, 06:24 PM
If I was to go into something like that, I would go to this school... One place in AZ, the other in FL.

http://www.uticorp.com/default.aspx?tabid=256

05Z400rdr
08-26-2007, 07:10 PM
thanks for the replies!

250ex13: If you mean the one in York (PA)...it is something like YTI Motorcycle Technology or sumthin like that, just search York Motorcycle Technology and you will find it, but I looked and that is geared more towards street bikes :ermm:

my88r: that's awesome how your 18 and opening a shop! That would be sweet. Yeah I am a good mechanic with everything but engines nn the more complicated stuff like that. like yeah i know how they work nn everything, i jus dont know how to work on them.

ride hard man: i just checked that out...sounds like something that i'd be interested in. so is that just something you pay for and then everything is at home, like you dont go anywhere for it...or how does that work? im really likin that...im really interested in it. and do you know off hand if you have to be a certain age? thanks!

thanks guys!

my88r
08-26-2007, 07:21 PM
well if im doing good by the time you graduate. look me up. im NY though. you seem to have a good attitude and i would hire you for a mechanic. im serious about that to.

05Z400rdr
08-26-2007, 07:44 PM
Thanks my88r!

maxamillion
08-26-2007, 08:08 PM
Im at MMI now in Phoenix and have talked to alot of people that dont give MMI much credit which I think is bull. I had always wrenched on my stuff before school and basically took everything apart except my tranny. I have one week left of theory class and already I have learned more than I ever would have thought. The instructors really know their **** and explain everything they teach in full detail. You cant go wrong here, especially if youre looking for brand name certification (honda, kawi, suz, yami, harley) -Max

my88r
08-26-2007, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by maxamillion
Im at MMI now in Phoenix and have talked to alot of people that dont give MMI much credit which I think is bull. I had always wrenched on my stuff before school and basically took everything apart except my tranny. I have one week left of theory class and already I have learned more than I ever would have thought. The instructors really know their **** and explain everything they teach in full detail. You cant go wrong here, especially if youre looking for brand name certification (honda, kawi, suz, yami, harley) -Max

do they have a guaranteed job for, once you graduate from there.

maxamillion
08-27-2007, 01:17 PM
No guarentees but their placement rate for grads is in the 90% and above range. They will supposively help you find jobs in the field no matter how many years it is after graduation.

05Z400rdr
08-27-2007, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the input guys! I've been talkin these over with my parents lately, still undecided :ermm: ...but I want to make sure what I do is what I actually want to do the rest of my life, so it will take some time.

Any more input appreciated.

Thanks again!

Landon

winters126
08-27-2007, 05:53 PM
Hey Landon,

I just met a guy a couple months ago that graduated from YTI in the motorcycle mechanic program. He is a mechanic for one of the pro dirtbike riders now and also works at a shop in Hanover. He's the same guy who worked wonders on my shocks when I was having all those problems with them. I'll introduce you to him if you'd like to meet him and then you could ask him some questions about their program.

We'll miss you at Breezewood this weekend...hope you have fun camping :p

Aceman
08-27-2007, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by maxamillion
No guarentees but their placement rate for grads is in the 90% and above range. They will supposively help you find jobs in the field no matter how many years it is after graduation.

Now my question is, for the price of schooling combined with the cost of moving plus travel back home occasionally how long will it take the average joe to pay off school debt working at a regular run of the mill dealership? Isn't the pay scale in the low-to-mid teens, with only a few being paid more?

Just never seemed cost effective to me to go to school for motorcycle mechanics unless tuition is less than I think it is and the salaries are much higher than I think they are. But I've been wrong before:rolleyes:

Everything I've heard, you pretty much have to go to work for a pro team to even make decent money. I'm sure there are plenty of guys fighting over that position as well.

05Z400rdr
08-27-2007, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by winters126
Hey Landon,

I just met a guy a couple months ago that graduated from YTI in the motorcycle mechanic program. He is a mechanic for one of the pro dirtbike riders now and also works at a shop in Hanover. He's the same guy who worked wonders on my shocks when I was having all those problems with them. I'll introduce you to him if you'd like to meet him and then you could ask him some questions about their program.

We'll miss you at Breezewood this weekend...hope you have fun camping :p

Hey Kelly,

Thanks for the input....yeah that would be great I'd love to meet and talk to him, always up for meeting new people!

Yeah...this weekend will be sooooooooooo much fun I cant wait!!! :rolleyes: haha lol. but really, i hope you and Zach and everyone else have an awesome and most imprtantly, safe, weekend at Breezewood!! I'm very jealous by the way...:scary:

See you soon!

Landon

miller821
08-27-2007, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by 05Z400rdr ride hard man: i just checked that out...sounds like something that i'd be interested in. so is that just something you pay for and then everything is at home, like you dont go anywhere for it...or how does that work? im really likin that...im really interested in it. and do you know off hand if you have to be a certain age? thanks!

thanks guys!

It's like an actual campus I think. You have dorms and the works. A rep. of UTI talked to us last year in auto, and I think he gave us a booklet. If I find it i'll sum it up for you and let you know the basics of how it runs.

I think Max probably knows more about it then I do.

05Z400rdr
08-27-2007, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by ride hard man
It's like an actual campus I think. You have dorms and the works. A rep. of UTI talked to us last year in auto, and I think he gave us a booklet. If I find it i'll sum it up for you and let you know the basics of how it runs.

I think Max probably knows more about it then I do.

Thats awesome, yeah let me know if you find it :macho this sounds like somethin I'd really be interested in...

Thanks!