View Full Version : Shocking....

Pappy
08-25-2007, 10:38 PM
I was just about to hit the sack when a thunderstorm moved in. I grabbed the tripod and managed to get 2 shots (out of 215)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1194/1237446030_036ef9f4fb_b.jpg

Pappy
08-25-2007, 10:40 PM
Out of an hour of shooting, these are the only two lightening bolts i actually saw

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1381/1236594713_1136bc5bd7_b.jpg

WhiteZrider
08-25-2007, 10:40 PM
The storm that just passed over us was insane.

Crazyest lightning I've ever seen.

Pappy
08-25-2007, 10:41 PM
the damn lightneing was so bright but high in the clouds. we could see a zillion small streaks but coulnt get them on film.

this is at midnight:eek2:

Pappy
08-25-2007, 10:44 PM
tons of bright light but not many streaks this time...maybe next:p

my88r
08-25-2007, 10:52 PM
here in ny we go storms to tonight.

Ghost-Rider
08-25-2007, 10:56 PM
Had bad storm yesterday and day before, yesterday tornados touched down near me, and day before one of our silver maples split in half and fell on one of our cars.

MX MaNiAc 06
08-26-2007, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
the damn lightneing was so bright but high in the clouds. we could see a zillion small streaks but coulnt get them on film.

this is at midnight:eek2:

Awesome shot! I love when real bright lightning strikes and it looks like its day outside for that split second. Really cool u got a picture of it.

416exfreak
08-26-2007, 10:14 AM
Pappy, if you dont mind me asking...how did you get those shots?

Ive been trying to get shots of lightining bolts forever, but its impossible. I have a tripod, but do you use some kind of remote to operate the camera so you can see the whole sky or what?

Id love it if you could give me a little help...i have no idea how to get those kind of shots.

BTW- im using a Canon powershot A540 if that helps any...:ermm:

Ghost-Rider
08-26-2007, 10:15 AM
Looks like an eyeball in the first picture:huh You have a cyclops running around your yard or something?:confused:

Pappy
08-26-2007, 10:23 AM
416exfreak, those were shot using a 4 second exposure. 10 seconds is whats considered a starting point at f11 iso100 but there are no set rules. last nights storm just did not have anything good for me to catch.

all i did was set the camera up to catch the areas shown, set focus to infinite, and fired the shot. 215 pictures were taken and only those two had lightening. on a better night with more actual strikes, it should have been around 75 or so showing the actual bolt.

im not familiar with your camera, but you need to figure out how to set it for a longer shutter speed and hope for the best. for more tips and set ups, try here http://www.flickr.com/groups/storms/ and be sure to check out the pictures...some insane stuff!!!!

Pappy
08-26-2007, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Ghost-Rider
Looks like an eyeball in the first picture:huh You have a cyclops running around your yard or something?:confused:

if your refering to the small speck of light, its a sodium vapor light up on the mountain. i tried to block it using the tree in the foreground but the wind was blowing everything and it just so happened it was in the shot. if it was a better pic of the bolt, i would have gone in and removed the light

416exfreak
08-26-2007, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
416exfreak, those were shot using a 4 second exposure. 10 seconds is whats considered a starting point at f11 iso100 but there are no set rules. last nights storm just did not have anything good for me to catch.

all i did was set the camera up to catch the areas shown, set focus to infinite, and fired the shot. 215 pictures were taken and only those two had lightening. on a better night with more actual strikes, it should have been around 75 or so showing the actual bolt.

im not familiar with your camera, but you need to figure out how to set it for a longer shutter speed and hope for the best. for more tips and set ups, try here http://www.flickr.com/groups/storms/ and be sure to check out the pictures...some insane stuff!!!!

Thanks pappy, I'll play with the setitngs and hope for the best....we do have a good little strom brewing outside too....how perfect :)