PDA

View Full Version : 98 sportsman wont start either

MichiganMOOSE79
08-25-2007, 02:15 PM
i have 98 that wont start. it was running and my cousin was just cruising around and it died, my dad tried to start back up after he pulled it home and he said it would just roll over and backfire some? i went over and work on it and wouldnt start so i put new plug in and no start, pulled plug check for spark on plug and nothing, dont have spark, im thinking coil, but for 135.00 for new with no return, is there any way to test the coil, cdi? stator?the quad has 1500 mile, any help would be great, thanks

09-04-2007, 06:27 PM
there is a way to test the coil and cdi by computer software but you'd have to bring it to the shop for it to be tested. this same exact thing happened to my cousin and the cdi checked out fine and the coil was i think fine. did you check the piston. maybe a seal or a ring broke. Are there metal shavings in the crank case?

mudmaniac500
07-14-2009, 11:17 AM
if there are metal shavings in the piston would that prevent it from getting spark?

DavidJoo
07-23-2009, 11:19 PM
It sounds to me like you have a broken wire to the cdi or a light. That will stop you from getting power from the cdi and coil. I had that problem on a couple but they where newer machines not sure about the electric on the older ones but that sounds like the problem I had. Check and see if you have power at all your lights if not trace the wire and see where it is broken.