View Full Version : Stripped Bolts on Carb

big_ed2008
08-25-2007, 09:10 AM
Guys I need some help with my carb! I bought my self an HMF Ironman slip on, installed it and got rid of my old pipe. When I went to go do my jetting I realized that without taking out the carb it would be really tough to get the bowl off. I tore off my plastic and when I went to start taking it out I realized that two of my bolts were stripped beyond repair from the previous owner.

Do you guys know what type of bolts they are or maybe where I could find the part numbers to order new ones from ServiceHonda?

honda300EXtreme
08-25-2007, 12:22 PM
go to jetsrus.com

they sell an allen head type screw that wont strip out

08-25-2007, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by honda300EXtreme
go to jetsrus.com

they sell an allen head type screw that wont strip out

Their jets kits are really cheap! I wonder if they compare with dynojet or maybe you cant even tell the difference.

honda300EXtreme
08-25-2007, 12:59 PM
there cheap, but the shipping is insane....

there jet kits are nice because they are all keihin jets,,, which makes it less complicated becuase you dont have to use the adapter, and i also like using keihin jets because you dont have to convert the numbers from dyno-jet to keihin....

Kaleigh
08-25-2007, 01:14 PM
here's a little tip next time you mess with your jets.. if you look under the carb there is a cap.. that take a 18mm wrench.. take that off and you have your jet right there.. dont have to mess with anything else..

honda300EXtreme
08-25-2007, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Kaleigh
here's a little tip next time you mess with your jets.. if you look under the carb there is a cap.. that take a 18mm wrench.. take that off and you have your jet right there.. dont have to mess with anything else..

unless hes changing his pilot jet...

Kaleigh
08-25-2007, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by honda300EXtreme
unless hes changing his pilot jet...

yea.. sorry i didnt specify.. its the main jet im talking about..

big_ed2008
08-25-2007, 08:53 PM
The recommended jets from hmf were a 165 and a 170. I assumed that one was a pilot jet but the problem is that I have no idea what's in it now. I haven't done anything to the carb yet. The pipe on it before was the FMF Megamax. Does anyone know what jets would have been used with it?

The end of my plug is a solid light gray and the porcelain is a really light tan. I'm also planning on getting the FMF powerbomb header so i wasn't sure if I would need different jets for it as well.

dariusld
08-25-2007, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by big_ed2008
The recommended jets from hmf were a 165 and a 170. I assumed that one was a pilot jet but the problem is that I have no idea what's in it now.

The end of my plug is a solid light gray and the porcelain is a really light tan. I'm also planning on getting the FMF powerbomb header so i wasn't sure if I would need different jets for it as well.

That is the main jet , not the pilot.

big_ed2008
08-25-2007, 09:34 PM
yeah lol i realized that right after i got on jetsrus.com. So I would only have to take off the bowl then? Also, when I replace the jets with my new ones, will I just have to screw them in or does it matter how far in they are or anything like that? Also, will I just put the 165 in the smaller jets place and the 170 in the larger jets place? I'm sure you guessed that its the first time ive done it.

GOTFEAR
08-25-2007, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by big_ed2008
Guys I need some help with my carb! I bought my self an HMF Ironman slip on, installed it and got rid of my old pipe. When I went to go do my jetting I realized that without taking out the carb it would be really tough to get the bowl off. I tore off my plastic and when I went to start taking it out I realized that two of my bolts were stripped beyond repair from the previous owner.

Do you guys know what type of bolts they are or maybe where I could find the part numbers to order new ones from ServiceHonda? get a torq bit get the one that looks a little bigger than your bolt and tape it in with a hammer remove old screws if its the one on the carb bowl

big_ed2008
08-25-2007, 11:16 PM
Well the ones that are stripped are the ones for the clamps that hold on the air intake and the boot. I'll probably use that process to get these bolts off as well anyway though so thanks for the suggestion! I didn't know I could get to the jets from underneath without removing the carb. I wont really have to worry about those now unless I decided to put on a 450r carb but thats a completely different subject lol.

But anyway, for a first time jetter, would I have to worry about anything besides screwing them in?