PDA

View Full Version : Cam break-in questions

yernkie
08-24-2007, 10:00 PM
I installed a stage 1 Hot Cam in my 400ex last week. I followed the break-in instructions...adjust valve, change oil, ride 20 minutes varying the load, cool down, ride 40 minutes following the same criteria, cool down (for a week...damn job), adjust valves, then changed oil again for good measure. I then took it for a 5 minute ride up the street and it pulls A LOT harder now. Here is my question...can I just ride it like normal now, or should I do anything else? I also noticed a little more valve train noise...is this normal?

Sandman69
08-24-2007, 10:05 PM
You sould be good to go now. With a bit of valve noise, it is normal. I have the stage 2 cam and once I broke it in I still have some noise. For me I rode mine for a few outings after I broke it in, re-adjusted and never have had a problem.

GOTFEAR
08-24-2007, 10:10 PM
dud i think your the only one that has followed the brack-in process we just put in and rip that thing then reset valves

CarGuy7a
08-25-2007, 12:04 AM
sounds like you did a good job on it. yeah you'll hear more ticking even if the valves are set right.

as far as adjusting the valves, you'll have to keep up on it a little more than a stock cam. i adjust mine at least twice a year.

yeah those cams have a good pull to them. they say you get even better gains when you remove the airbox lid. i took mine off and ran it and i could feel a little more kick in the seat.

yernkie
08-25-2007, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the advice. It sounds like I am good to go.