PDA

View Full Version : Rockgardn Gear is very nice

bulldogfallon
08-24-2007, 08:40 PM
We rec'd our first shipment tonight and I am very very impressed with the quality and features

Small company that is doing it right....Youth helmets are very light and look great.

Body armor is bad ***!!!

Anyone in doubt don't be....Get Rockgardn gear it rocks!!! :)

Livin4Real
08-25-2007, 11:10 AM
are the helmets snell and dot approved?

sanddude
08-26-2007, 08:16 PM
I was wondering the same thing on the helmets :confused:

bulldogfallon
08-26-2007, 09:23 PM
Meets or exceeds DOT and European ECE standards.

Dillan ran his Leatt Brace along with his Rockgardn body armor and helmet....

He didn't complain at all with all that gear on.

The armor is lightweight and really easy to move in.....

Actually sold a helmet and a body armor suit to another rider today....They saw his and had to have a set..

The owner of Rockgardn really cares about people and service...

I am sure he will answer any of your questions too

sanddude
08-26-2007, 11:20 PM
European ECE standards=what to snell standatds please:rolleyes:

Livin4Real
08-27-2007, 05:35 AM
I did some research, here's one articles take on it.

Friday, August 25, 2006
Helmet Hullabaloo: Snell vs ECE 22-05

If you're riding a 320km/h ZZR1400, make sure you get a Snell-certified helmet!

European helmet crash protection standards (ECE 22-05), which came into force from the year 2000, have come in for some serious flak. It is being said that ‘Due to the way the standard is written, it is easy for manufacturers to build helmets to pass the test by applying additional strength in the specific test areas, rather than building a totally safe helmet.’

Apparently, these claims are backed up by some of the leading helmet manufacturers, who’ve admitted that it is easier to pass the European test rather than the American ‘Snell’ test, which has much higher safety standards! And proof of that is in the fact that most MotoGP and WSB riders only wear helmets that have passed the Snell test, while their cheaper replicas are often sold with an ECE 22-05 marking!

Livin4Real
08-27-2007, 05:40 AM
That was from a european article also, so no american bias was involved. Some manufacturers don't put the snell stickers on their helmets but are actually snell certified. The helmet is one area you don't want to skimp, do your research and spend the money on a quality, safe, comfortable helmet. I'm not 'saying Rockgardn isn't but if they aren't snell approved they won't be on my son's head.

Brian

03sp500
08-29-2007, 11:42 AM
I asked Rockgardn and this is what they said.

"
No, it's not. We feel that SNELL isn't an appropriate standard unless you're in NASCAR: the testing methodology yields a helmet that's too stiff. Our helmets are certified to the European ECE standard, which we feel is more suitable for open-cockpit riding.

More info at
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/

Thanks!

Decide for yourself

bulldogfallon
08-29-2007, 12:39 PM
Great post....The link provides tons of solid info on helmets

Everyone should take the time to read it...

Livin4Real
08-30-2007, 12:34 AM
Great article, definitely given me some new insight to helmets. I would like to see a study revolving around dirt impacts since that is what the majority of us here would be dealing with. For the most part when a mx rider crashes, it's into impact absorbing soil, common sense would tell us the g-forces would be lower than pavement, thereby reducing brain injuries even more. See it pays to ride dirt, lol. I would also like to hear if SNELL has changed anything in the last two years since the article was written, maybe after the article and alot of emails they have updated their requirements. I doubt it though and now have a new outlook on helmets. I do however have to side with SNELL on the part where they said cheaper helmets are only made in one or two sizes, just different thickness liners put in as I have found this to be true. Guess I'll give Rockgardn a call and see how many different sizes of outer shells they use.

bulldogfallon
08-30-2007, 04:24 AM
Everyone----While the helmet debate is on.......

Go buy a Leatt Brace

It seems that most MX injuries are caused by the lack neck support and not the type of helmet worn.

The 2008 Rockgardn body armor is built to fit with the Leatt brace...My 5 yr old wore (the armor and Leatt brace) last weekend and didn't complain at all.....Very comfortable fit and really makes me as a dad feel a lot better about his chances of walking away from a crash.

It (the Leatt)is $400, but worth every penny for the peace of mind

Marc from Hot Quads will have them in hand anyday.....

Get them while they are available....

Leatt can't seem to keep up with the demand...

mxkids
08-30-2007, 05:54 AM
Kids Mx carries them in stock as well. He is a great guy to deal with. Makes it alot easier when you can go to his website and he has just about anykind of youth gear you can think of. Here is the link to his site.

www.kidsmx.com

Sonia

DoubleDad
08-30-2007, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the tip Sonia. I just ordered two from them for my boys.

mxkids
09-01-2007, 06:43 AM
Your welcome. Go check out Final touch restyling. Ernie does all of our graphics stickers and shirts. He is a super guy and can design anything. He now has the graphic kits for the Leatt Brace. From what I have been reading on other forums they hold up great on the Leatts. If you decide to give him a call, tell him Tittle Brothers Racing refered you. I am not sure how much they are, but he is very resonible on everything we get from him.

www.finaltouchrestyling.com

mxmike17
09-05-2007, 02:41 PM
Does the rockgarden armor replace the chest protector?
Or can you wear both?

I am interested in the upper body suit and also a leatt brace.

Also what size gear do I need for a 50 inch tall kid who is a slim 50 lbs?

dirttrack86
09-05-2007, 04:24 PM
Hey Mike, Hurricane wears the small youth body Armour. You can use it with or without the chestprotector. :)

Full Throttle00
09-05-2007, 06:31 PM
My son has had the body armor for 5 months, just picked up the hellmet, & red Goggles that look & feel great with his Leatte Brace. Many saw it this last weekend and took most everything I had in stock. It is a great addition & combination for our young riders.

bulldogfallon
09-05-2007, 07:25 PM
Same thing happened to me at the last race....Once the parents see it in person and feel how light and nice the helmet is...they buy them on the spot
http://www.g-forcepowersports.com/sitebuilder/images/115-180x250.jpg

dodgepower
09-06-2007, 04:19 PM
bulldog,,,,,

does your little man wear it in place of or with chest protector?

how light are the helmets and also on that cert thing the WPSA is pretty hard on that from what i understand is anyone gonna approach them about it?

bulldogfallon
09-06-2007, 04:54 PM
Here wears it in place of the chest protector...

The helmet weighs 2.58lbs

The body armor is much more comfortable than it looks....

We don't even run a jersey...Kids think they look like Bionicals or Transformers :)

KidsMX
09-06-2007, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by mxmike17
Does the rockgarden armor replace the chest protector?
Or can you wear both?

Yes it does replace the standard rost guard. No you should not double them up. Each piece of plastic has padding all the way under it, not just around the edges like most roost guards Also the back "slider" (they call it) articulates in such a way that it rolls up with them as they rag doll all over the place. Something I really like is the built in kidney belt. 1. it teaches them the importance of wearing one and two it relly helps to hold everything in place. The Jr. Flak Jacket is a really tough piece of equipment. I have had my kids in them since shortly before we opened for business.

Sonia, Thanks for the kind words! I appreciate it. Hope the boys are doing well.

Mike

mecheech
09-06-2007, 09:43 PM
Ordered up one of the decals for our Leatt Brace from Ernie at Final Touch. Ours will look just like the sample(which is Ernies son) but will have #4 and say Jakie Boy. Can't wait to get it and the combo of the Leatt with decal and Rockgardn armor is not only going to look real good, but should also be REAL SAFE!
Our next series starts in a week, so I will see if I can get some good pics to post of our gear.

aasco90
09-10-2007, 08:34 PM
my son just got his rockgardn helmet and jacket, it is nice stuff i took him for pratice this weekend and went threw 5 gals of gas thats how much he rode and was not sore the next day, so wearing the belt for sure helped , and the lite helmet, the leatte brace will be next for sure, can somebody post a pic of the body armor with the leatte brace and how its attached.

thanks

special thanks

claire at rockgardn
eric at elka, bfc , reflections inc,
cycle gear, rainier powder coating.

Cat Dad
09-11-2007, 10:03 AM
The back of the Leatt Brace goes under the Backslider, and on top of the mesh...

Cat Dad
09-11-2007, 10:04 AM
... the front of the Leatt goes under the collar.

dblacks
09-11-2007, 12:21 PM
does it work the same on the older all black body armour?

03sp500
09-11-2007, 01:21 PM
I emailed Rockgarn and this is what they sent me:

Give me your phone #, and I'll describe what mods have worked for other people. Whether or not they'll work for your son, I'm not sure (it seems to vary from kid to kid).

The '08 does work 100% out-of-the-box, though...

-Mark

That was my question also.

mecheech
09-11-2007, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by dblacks
does it work the same on the older all black body armour?

I think we have the older all black even though ours is brand new.

http://picasaweb.google.com/cheech72/Oakwood/photo#5109136017816589954

And the back tucked right in, just forgot to tuck the front in for the pics. Just got to remember to tuck it in when we zip it up.

KidsMX
09-12-2007, 04:19 PM
Here are the mods / way to wear the combo that we reccomended to folks before the '08 jacket came along...

(as you can see th RG is tough. This is my sons after he has worn it for about a year)

Front zips under jacket
http://216.165.194.66/ktmtalk/photogallery/galleries/MiniDads/Dev_Front.jpg

Back slides in behind back slider padding up against the body. Removing the piece of foam above the top back slider piece is the way to achive this result
http://216.165.194.66/ktmtalk/photogallery/galleries/MiniDads/dev_back.JPG

This is how it will look from the side...
http://216.165.194.66/ktmtalk/photogallery/galleries/MiniDads/Dev_Side.JPG

mecheech
09-18-2007, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by mecheech
Ordered up one of the decals for our Leatt Brace from Ernie at Final Touch. Ours will look just like the sample(which is Ernies son) but will have #4 and say Jakie Boy. Can't wait to get it and the combo of the Leatt with decal and Rockgardn armor is not only going to look real good, but should also be REAL SAFE!
Our next series starts in a week, so I will see if I can get some good pics to post of our gear.

Here are a couple of Pics of the new graphics from Final Touch
http://picasaweb.google.com/cheech72/LeattBrace/photo#5111778221112612370

Of course in combination with the Rockgardn some of the graphics will be covered up, but still looks cool.

mxkids
09-19-2007, 05:25 AM
Those look great. You know he is now offering graphics for the Rockgardn as well. They are pretty sweet looking.

Sonia

mxkids
09-19-2007, 05:54 AM
http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e87/2brothersracing/?action=view&current=rockgardn.jpg http://http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e87/2brothersracing/?action=view&current=rockgardn2.jpg