PDA

View Full Version : R/C Helis anyone???

Rootar
08-24-2007, 03:52 PM
Anyone on here run R/C helis, i know alot of people have the trucks and such but i was just wondering if anyone has a heli. I was able to try and fly a small .30 size gas heli and it took a good while to get into a half decent hover, pretty decent challege i might say, considering he didnt tell me i needed to land and trim it out when it kept pulling and turning on its own. Now i want to learn to fly the things because its prolly the first R/C that put up a challege. I've owned trucks and flew planes before and usally got bored with them.

So, Im going to pick up my first Heli tomorrow afternoon, i was recomended an E-flite cx2 micro heli to start out and learn because parts are 10xs cheaper and the heli it self is cheaper and much easier to learn on than a standard tail rotor heli. Then after i get the hang of it and can fly it good i can upgrade to one like the Blade CP+ or Blade CP pro.

i eventually wanna be able to pull off aerobatics such as these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erPy57A4Owc

any suggestions or anyone have a CX2? or CPpro?

troyleepred719
08-24-2007, 03:55 PM
ive had gas powered trucks, im very interested in this, you have any links to the heli?

Rootar
08-24-2007, 04:21 PM
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFLH1250

thats the E-flite site overview of the their CX2, you can find lots of videos on youtube by searching "blade cx2" or "blade cp pro". I had orignally planned on getting the CP+ becasue the CX2s are completely sold out but the hobby shop at westmonroe talked me out of it, since they have prolly the last two CX2s in stock that i have found anywhere, everyone else has them backorder till late setptember. One of those CX2s has my name on it so i gotta go pick it up tomorrow, i guess i lucked out. Plus they told me i might wanna wait because Eflite i supposed to release a new larger 400 size electric heli with the DSM spektrum radio.

ill defenitely let you know how i like it.

btw the CX2 is a MICRO only 13 or 14 inch blade diameter i believe small enough to fly in your living room or garage easliy. so that would be a plus not having to deal with wind while learning.

Hyperwarrior22
08-24-2007, 07:14 PM
i want to learn to fly one of these bad boys so for senior prank ill fly around the lunch room

Rootar
08-24-2007, 07:39 PM
thatd be pretty funny but even the electric ones are pretty loud, everyone would be looking before you even got it off the ground or table more than likely

400exstud
08-25-2007, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Hyperwarrior22
i want to learn to fly one of these bad boys so for senior prank ill fly around the lunch room

It would be awsome in my lunch room (it holds 700+ people).

Then again I don't want to go to jail for smacking someone in the face with the prop as it falls out of the air after someone nails it with a milk!:p

Scott-300ex
08-25-2007, 10:15 PM
Yeh I heard they're hard to fly, and you should be real good with trucks and have like 3 years of planes under your belt before you even try a copter.

And you'd never get that thing even IN your school and you wouldn't be good enough to keep it between the heads and then the rafters.

Watch this.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=822391710668275217&q=rc+helicopters&total=4762&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

I don't know bout you guys but I'd be ducking the whole time.

:devil:

Rootar
08-26-2007, 06:49 PM
well i gotta say this thing is pretty fun, but i gotta be more careful outside the slightest breeze carries this thing away fast. it took me till the 3rd battery pack to really get the hang of it and on the 4th (my last for today) i had forward flight down pat. im still playing with the setup slightly since that is key with these lil things that EVERYTHING is balanced and tracks perfect. it flew pretty good on the 4th battery so a couple more adjusments and it should be just right. i did a couple of fast swoops from about 25 feet up on the last few minutes of battery about 2 feet off the ground and i wanna get those down to where i can almost drag the tail on the ground at the bottom of the swoop.

i think this is gonna start another expensive hobby:( lol i already want one that i can fly outside and not have the wind carry it off. for the first heli this thing is great im very happy with it.

joshyz125
08-26-2007, 10:30 PM
Those are pretty hard to fly, a friend of mine has one,

They're a blast to fly in the house in the winter, they are REALL hard to fly outside the smallerr they are.

WhiteYFZ
08-26-2007, 11:52 PM
those things look pretty fun. i used to have a gas r/c car. there fun but real expensive. and it broke every other day.

mephyst
08-27-2007, 03:51 AM
I have both the cx2 and blade cp pro. I mastered everything to do with the cx2. Just like you, I bought it first and messed with it for a few weeks. In the mean time, I bought the r/c simulator on the computer. This helped A LOT, and I suggest it to anyone looking at getting into R/C helis. It's a lot easier to hit restart than buy expensive parts every time you crash while learning.

A little tip in flying in a light breeze outside..... fly diagonally into the wind... This really helps. I get what you mean about the slightest breeze just picking it up and taking it away though because it used to happen to me.

The CP PRO is 1000000000000x harder to fly. I still haven't come near mastering it. I can get it to hover pretty well but still wreck blades all the time...

Rootar
08-27-2007, 05:34 AM
you ought to check out the magazine RcHeli i grab a copy at the hobby shop and it has tons of test and setup tips for micros and electric minis.

btw how long have you had the cp pro now?

mephyst
08-27-2007, 01:24 PM
I've had it for a few months, but have only tried to fly it a handful of times... I just haven't made the time to go down to the park or whatever and fly my chopper. Each time before I go I will practice on the simulator and it helps a lot!

hondaracer305
08-27-2007, 05:28 PM
i started with the blade cp pro, and in the wind its extrememly difficult to fly.. needless to say i crashed it a dozen times before i traded it for an rc truck.. haha

Rootar
08-27-2007, 07:05 PM
got pretty frustrated with it steve? one of my college instructors has been flying planes for 15 years and competes nationally wiht his control line planes and he has had his Axe Cp (same as blade cp) for 6 months and still cant fly it lol. When i got mine int he hangar today at lunch and shut the doors it was a blast so easy and i got reverse flight down good. coolest thing tho was hovering right in front and above the big shop fans and then slowey going down into the breeze and then giving it full throttle and forward it had to be going 20mph about waist high off the floor across the hangar:D it was cool. maybe one day after school i can take my camera and get a shot of it doing that. im done till this weekend tho i was flying it this afternoon and i was flying around while it was calm and i would fly it barely up onto the roof of our shop and hover around up there. i flew it down and made a couple circle around the basketball goal and then i was headed back up there and a bird flew off the roof right as i was about to crest over and it startlled me and i chopped the throttle and down she went about 15 feet i tryed to get back on the gas but it was too late it only broke my right landing skid and cracked a place on the little lexan body. $3 of damage lol ill have to go pick me up and few landing skid sets on my way to the track this weekend.

gojk
08-27-2007, 08:49 PM
I bought a CX2 a few months ago. I deff recommend this heli if it is your first. It is pretty tough to learn to fly, but it is very cheap to replace parts on it, making a perfect learner.

The first thing I would recommend is to see what helis your local hobby shop carries parts for, because you will break enough parts that it would get annoying to have to wait for parts when ordering them online.

If you get the CX2 I would recommend getting extra blades and a replacement upper head, as that is what I constantly broke. Get the training gear that attaches to the bottome and learn to fly it in little to no wind. The CX2 is so light that the slightest breeze really effects it. I fly mine inside all of the time.

Anyhow, don't get discouraged at first, cause you will eventually get it. As said above, get the heli slightly in the air and trim it out. ONce you get the trims set, the heli is easy to fly.