PDA

View Full Version : Apex not issues

markvette
08-24-2007, 01:31 PM
well since there seems to be some discussion on the apex relialibility i thought i would post some results from lorettas. i wont mention any other brands except apex so i cant be blamed for bashing. i really dont see where i need to explain anything, the results speak for themselves.

26 - 90 Production CVT (8-15)
Overall Number Brand Name City,State Moto 1 Moto 2
1 8x APX Ryan Dupont Canterbury, CT 1 1
2 10 HON Kelsey Dyer Quincy, IL 2 2
3 71 KAS Christian Horne Cookeville, TN 2 3
4 27 ETN Timothy L. Gunn Ii Gastonia, NC 3 6
5 11/ APX Taylor L. Braswell Belmont, NC 5 5
6 8 APX Justen W. Blake New Martinsville, WV 3 8
7 2 APX Rhett J. Sims Canton, GA 9 4
8 39 KAS Erik Havert Wolcottville, IN 5 9
9 11 DIL Bailey Howard Cumming, GA 6 10
10 12 AAS Shawn Rodges Gunter, TX 10 7
11 46 DRX Kk Presnell Murray, KY 6 11
12 199 KTM Alexander Nickerson Riverdale, MI 7 12
13 22 DIL Logan Howard Cumming, GA 7 13
14 204 XTR Caston Mcconnell Anderson, IN 1 19
15 917 APX Tanner Stockton Jamestown, TN 4 17
16 99 PLS Tyler Rench Hebron, IN 8 14
17 88 DRX Kaitlyn G. Harris Mayfield, KY 4 20
18 23 APX Kelby Lloyd Manitou, KY 11 15
19 400 ETN Cort Guy Maragon, IN 8 18
20 15 APX Cody Shelton Hixson, TN 12 16
21 9 SUZ Ryan Nottingham Dixie, WV 10
22 0 PLS Casey Dunaway Mayfer, KY 13
23 91 SUZ Jordon Adams Dawson Springs, KY DNS
24 619 ETN Ethan Boggs Clay, WV DNS
25 21 APX Ariel Monroe Alma, WV DNS

markvette
08-24-2007, 01:34 PM
70cc cvt, apex didnt fair too bad here either

29 - 70 Production CVT (6-11)
1 71 KAS Christian Horne Cookeville, TN 1 1
2 07 APX Michael Pahlas Pomfret, CT 2 2
3 62 KAS Johnny Loos Brookville, IN 5 3
4 39 KAS Erik Havert Wolcottville, IN 4 6
5 7/ APX Cody Smith Seville, OH 7 4
6 17 APX Andrew Cummings Poestenkill, NY 8 5
7 43 KAS Dakota Allen Alsip, IL 9 7
8 6 KAS Austin Stevens Dawson Springs, KY 6 10
9 48 KAS Devyn Dehart Ridgeway, VA 10 8
10 37 KAS Jacob French Zimmerman, MN 11 9
11 24 KAS Zachary Szappanos Mentor, OH 3 DNS
12 11 KYM Zachary M. Wentz Lambertville, MI 12 DNS

markvette
08-24-2007, 01:36 PM
50cc. no apex here, oh thats right apex dont build a 50, well 2 out of 3 classes aint bad.

32 - 50cc Stock Limited (4-6)
1 88 DRR Jordan Digby Fulton, MS 2 1
2 44 COB Nolan Cochran Gastonia, NC 1 2
3 5 DRX Katelyn Chappell Burns, TN 4 4
4 6 DRR Etan Putty Nortonville, KY 6 3
5 3 DRR Will Harness Beebe, AR 3 7
6 50 DRR Elijah Smith Valley, AL 8 5
7 555 DRR Hunter Cook Fremont, MI 7 6
8 85 DRR Amanda Szymborski Holt, MI 9 8
9 41 DRX Blaine Alig Middleboro, TN 10 10
10 504 DRX Logan Sepesi Milan, MI 11 11
11 1 DRR Mckenna Peters Chippen Lake, OH 12 12
12 55 OTH Dylan Cook Fremont, MI 13 13
13 65 DRR Nate Willman Mt Vernon, IN 5 DNS
14 04 LEM Taylor Bolewski Cordova, MD DNS 9

TeamSimsRacing
08-25-2007, 05:18 AM
Hey mark,

Also to chime in, #27 in the 90 class - Timmy Gunn was on an APEX, we broke in the quallifier :mad: wasn't an APEX issue it was a crew chief issue... the carb came out of the boot twice but he was running a strong second right behind Mconnel in the quallifier. Fourth on Sunday wasn't bad. Especially since we lost 70lbs of compression from the carb comming off incident. I guess it got a bit more dust in it than I thought :eek:

markvette
08-25-2007, 06:44 AM
also kelsey dyer was on an apex not a honda in 90cvt. billy built the first and second place motors. another thing, the xtreme caston is on is a pro shark also built by apex. like i said just a little info for the apex bashers,

Mark

brad
whats up long time no see. bubba is off the mini and running a honda 300ex locally in the quad beginner class. he runs with all 450's but aint doning too bad as he is 3rd in the points in the series. he is running today in alabama. my oldest son had to take him as i am recouping fron foot surgery. tell rhett to go get them.

Mark

TeamSimsRacing
08-26-2007, 01:25 PM
We were doing pretty well in the WPSA series but made the decision to back out. Rhett had a pretty bad spill that put him in a wheel chair for a month and he has never 100% healed. So we decided to take the rest of the year off and see where things go.

dodgepower
08-26-2007, 02:17 PM
Hummm no replies huh.......................wonder what would happen if posted overall's too................

STOCKRACING917
08-28-2007, 05:57 AM
Dodgepower....:D

Sims: Hope Rhetts doing ok... At 100 0/0
that kid will be a mighty force to reckon with..we thought he was pretty awesome now.

bulldogfallon
09-01-2007, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by dodgepower
Hummm no replies huh.......................wonder what would happen if posted overall's too................

I don't go after Apex quads, but since you seem to enjoy the online battle I figured I would chime in.

This is good info to back up the Apex's results, but none of these were stock Apex's I bet, so.....

I see plenty of Kaseas on the list too...Does that mean we should go buy new Kaseas?

In the 70cc class, I bet most of them were Metrakit engines, actually I am pretty sure of it....

Apex has brought a lot of attention to the mini quad scene and has pushed other companies like DRR(threw that one in there for you Dodgepower) to offer a better product to keep up, so that is great for the industry.

Here is a result: Our local Summer Series was won by a DRX90 in the Apex class....All DRR oem equipment since it is a stock appearing class...and it was modifed by a "former" Apex dealer and it beat modifed Apexs too....

My hat is off to Apex for making the mini quad industry stronger, but this brand battle is pretty ignorant if you ask me...

Nobody races stock quads, so does it really make a difference what they are riding? All of the minis listed in your results have a similar platform to build off of...

If it were a stock class then it would mean a lot more....

Apexs would probably fair the same and maybe even better if that were the case(did a DRR guy just say something nice about an Apex...better mark it on the calendar), but the gap is closing fast.....maybe even closed when comparing purchase price vs purchase price.

Congrats to Apex on their strong performance at Loretta's....They have surely pushed the mini market to new levels of expectation.

markvette
09-02-2007, 12:07 AM
well there seemed to be some apex bashing going on with some of the drr crowd. as far as it goes i have nothing against the drr and think it is as good as an apex. i remember a few years ago before these 2 brands were not even around and everyone thought the kasea was the best thing out there. fact is they all use basically the same engine and most the frames are very similar. it really comes down to which one you want to throw money at. ive built them all and can build a winner out of any one of them but then you have to have the rider to get it there. my son ran an eton for 5 years, fact is the quad had parts from almost every brand out there. rear brake system was dinli, cases never did know as we broke so many and all are the same, ran 2 eton frames and 2 chineese quad frames, ran 99 eton plastic, xtreme plastic and last was viper plastic. its just crazy for people to argue that one is so much better than the other when they are all very similar to each other. anyway thats my take on the whole thing.

Mark

bulldogfallon
09-02-2007, 06:04 AM
I think some of the bashing may have been from people who own both brands, so it may have been them speaking about their real life experiences with them.

Some is DRR guys being untactful in their opinion of Apex, which is not cool.

I can also say that "some" of the Apex guys have laughed in the DRR direction, so to say seeing them getting pushed off the track wasn't a little gratifying would be a lie...of course we feel bad for the kids, but it is nice to seesome of the out spoken parents hiding in their trailers...

I get flak because I push DRR, but I also do it w/o taking shots at other manufacturers...(unless provoked otherwise)

Sell on your positives, not others negatives.....

Anyone can buy one, so it is not like your in a secret society or something. Relax and have fun with the sport...Who knows who will be the king of the hill next year??

Let's hope Honda doesn't get wise and put that CRF150 engine in a mini.....Then we will all be tucking our tails :)

Most of my dealers sell both brands...even when some of them want to sell just DRR, I push to make sure they sstill ell both...Yes sir...A DRR guy that could have an Apex dealership closed makes sure that it doesn't happen....

My obligation to them is to take care of their business, not a personal agenda.....

STOCKRACING917
09-02-2007, 08:26 AM
Hey Dodgepower,
What kind of shocks did I run this year? Refresh my memory. My group was the hillbillies of the bunch remember? LOL. And Amen about the rider. We found out we gonna need alot more practice. There are awesome kids out there.

We're not bashing nobody.We just had a real good time and learned alot.

orange xtreme
09-02-2007, 10:30 AM
just to give credit where it belong's my son was on a XTREME PRO SHARK not a apex. XTREME were the first to import these mini's into the states not apex. Now i'm not bashing apex they seem to be staying on top of the game but it was XTREME and we are still XTREME.

Thanks to all of our sponser's this year XTREME WOLFPACK KFABB SUNOCO APS ELKA.

Stockton you are right it was a fun year!!

Proud father of #204

quadnana7
09-02-2007, 10:39 AM
Everybody is complaining about what quad is the best to buy the truth is they are all about the same when they are stock but noone that races a 70 or 90 class is stock The best bike depends on how the motor is built, the gear and tranny setup the suspension and the most important thing is the rider. All the things that can turn a $2500 bike into a $10,000 bike You can have the fastest bike on the market but if you don't have the right rider for it then you're not going to win. What it all comes down to is what plastic do you want to run and what color because lets face it if you are running any races to win then you are not stock. We run a 70 Kasea with a Metrakit motor there are DRR's, Apex, Eton,and others running the same motor .Bottomline is which is the better deal stock because you are going to change everthing except plastic and bare frame.
Thats my 2 cents but hey I'm only a nana and don't know much
:) :D ;) :p :cool:

dodgepower
09-02-2007, 02:53 PM
Wow go away to camp and ride for the weekend and see what happens.......................

Hey Stock what is going on brother.....................

they were STOCK werent they i believe:)

hey Terry you are right had lots of fun and learned tons............thanks again for the PACKAGE:)

See yall in November.............hey also everyone bring a homestate beer. I am gonna bring some Mississippi beer to share with everyone........yall in?..................Nana you better not let me down:)

QuadJunkies
09-25-2007, 12:11 AM
I say we meet in the middle and just say it was all the riders talents that won those podiums :D

lloyd23
10-08-2007, 09:08 PM
My son is Kelby Lloyd #23. His Apex is total stock. He finish 18 at Loretta's. This is his first year racing and first nationals. In the first round he finished 9th and in lcq he finished 3rd and in the main round finish 15th. I believe he did a wonderful job considering he was scared to death never starting with that many before. Since then he has improved and has won local many times. Two weeks ago the stocks ran with the mods and opens and he got the hole shot on all of them and won the stock class. I just read where someone said that non of the Apexs were stock at Lorettas and our was.

QuadJunkies
10-09-2007, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by lloyd23
My son is Kelby Lloyd #23. His Apex is total stock. He finish 18 at Loretta's. This is his first year racing and first nationals. In the first round he finished 9th and in lcq he finished 3rd and in the main round finish 15th. I believe he did a wonderful job considering he was scared to death never starting with that many before. Since then he has improved and has won local many times. Two weeks ago the stocks ran with the mods and opens and he got the hole shot on all of them and won the stock class. I just read where someone said that non of the Apexs were stock at Lorettas and our was.
Awesome job!!:macho :cool:

STOCKRACING917
10-17-2007, 10:37 AM
Lloyd,
Sent you a pm. ;)

stockracing

Full Throttle00
10-19-2007, 10:22 AM
We too have become victim of being sucked into the making some minor modifications to go faster tweaks mainly suspension modifications.

"Parents that spend mucho $$$$$$$$$$ to give an unfair advantage over other very good riders only hurts those that want to get involved in a new upcoming sporting event.

I will state that it is more impressive for a good rider to win on a stock machine vs any modified machine any day!!!

"IMO it should give more bragging rights and should be something to be more proud of." We did this till my little rider said, "I wanna' go fast"
"If you ain't 1st your last"

Mini Quad $2500
Riding Gear $1000
Modifications to go faster $5000 +
Racing Fuel$ 500 +
Entrance & Racing fees for one year $1000 +++
Traveling Expenses $5000-50,000 +++

Countless plastic trophies & awards to find room for in the house........

$$ PRICELE$$ :)

ecmini1
10-19-2007, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Full Throttle00
We too have become victim of been sucked into the making modifications to go faster but with only minor tweaks mainly suspension modifications.

"Parents that spend mucho $$$$$$$$$$ to give a somewhat unfair advantage over other very good riders only hurts those that want to get involved in a new upcoming sporting event.

I will state that it is more impressive for a good rider to win on a stock machine vs any modified machine any day!!!
"IMO it should give more bragging rights and should be something to be more proud of."

I agree 100%, when winning on a stock machine is more rewarding than throwing a ton of money at a try to win.

redonkulousruntsracing
10-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Hello all. We are new to his forum and have been researching an Apex 50 MXR for my son next year. My son Seth is 4 and raced his first season this year. In 12 races he finished all of them in the top 4. On a yard quad. he ran an 03 Bombarier DS50. I put the usual Hetrick goodies on it, but there comes a point where your limited on a quad like this. I could of spent $2500 on suspension and disc brakes but why bother when Either a DRR or Apex 50 liquid can be had at the same price.

I can relate to the idea of a good rider on a stock bike beating up on the top dollar machines with riders who cant handle them. All year long my boy had the crappiest machine at the track, but he rode awesome. He was schooling the older kids off the gate. He earned the name "Holeshot" at one of our last races. He would lead the race for about 250 feet then the DRR's and Apex's would go by him, but he managed to hang in there. All season he was running competitive in the 50jr.4-6 year old class, and we let him race in the 50sr.5-8 year old class. He came in 3rd in points in thr Jr. class and tied for 3rd in the Sr. class in the Rock Maple Racing series. So for now I am going to soak in some more reading, and next year we will see what he can do on a quad that was not designed to putt around the yard. Apex50 MXR or DRR 44" liquid cooled 50, Hmm which do we get? We shall see.

bulldogfallon
10-15-2008, 07:42 PM
Congrats on the strong finish....

Apex makes a nice quad, but in the 50cc class the DRR is the better choice. IMO

The Apex is larger platform so for younger riders it doesn't favor them, plus it may be a bit heavier.

This on the other hand works in Apex's favor when it comes to older riders that outgrow the smaller DRR.

A 44" wide DRR is not going to be legal for the ATVA and many local series

I don't believe the Apex 50 is ATVA legal for stk limited class...if it was then then we would have seen them at some of the events this year.

50cc class=DRR at this time

70cc/90cc= You have to look at both brands to see what fits your goal and riding style.

Good luck with your selection.

You should get with Bob or Dana from the NEATV series...they will help you get the right goodies for your pilot.

They have lots of experience in all size mini quads and lots of tricks in their bag.

redonkulousruntsracing
10-15-2008, 07:52 PM
The main reason I was thinking an Apex is because we teamed up with another kid who raced an 08 Apex90 MXR and he did awesome with it. It was reliable and he really rode it hard. He sno crosses so he knows how to hammer a heavier machine. But he is also 12. My son rode it a few times and fell in love with it. But he has never driven a NEW DRR, he has been on a couple of older 05,06 DRR's and he liked them too. So I am open to all suggestions.
Up here in Northern New York we dont have much big time quad racing. We had the Rock Maple racing series, but they told us that they are not coming bact to NY this next year.Other that that we run "exhibition" races at District Bike events. Unadilla has one national race for quads and we intend on attendin this up coming year. So I want my son to have a competitve machine..

bulldogfallon
10-15-2008, 07:58 PM
Both brands will break with a hard rider on them without mods....swingarms, ball joints, frames etc....don't let anyone tell you otherwise...

I sell both brands

50cc class DRR is the choice

Like I said the Apex is not stk limited legal....so it's no good to have a machine you can't race

Not a knock on Apex here, but unless they change their 50 for 2009 the DRR will continue to be the choice for that class.

In the 70/90 classes the options can favor the Apex depending upon your goal and class run.

redonkulousruntsracing
10-15-2008, 08:13 PM
thanks for the insight. I want him to have a Quad he can take to the track and race without hassles. Like I said we dont really have a good organized circuit to run, but I do want him to run the ATVA national race at Unadilla, so looks like a DRR 50 may be the way to go. Any advantage to the liquid cooled over the air. I was leaning to the liquid cooled one. By the way my boy is 42" tall and weighs 45lbs. so suspension is the most important thing to me. I want to be able to set it up soft enough so the machine will soak up the rough stuff, not him. He gets beat up pretty bad when he launches his Can-Am.

dblacks
10-29-2008, 07:00 AM
take a look at mxwalden.com Part of the dist 34 series but they have some good competative classes, actually a lot more competition then RMR has had in the mini classes.

This weekend Walden has the tri State championship, It may not be too late to get into the race either. pw 50 class there will have 10 or more kids and some of them will be on quads other then DRR's. Some of those kids are faster then you saw at the RMR races in the 50 classes as well.

Not sure how far you are from there but gotta be closer then we are since I am in Maine