PDA

View Full Version : Registering a 250r through chp

banshee84
08-23-2007, 10:56 PM
Ok, I don't have every detail of the story but my uncle has a 1986 250r that he wants to register. It hasn't been registered since 1990 so it isn' in the computer system. He was told by the dmv to take it to the CHP (California Highway Patrol) and they could ok it to his name. So he took it to the local CHP station but I guess the engine vin# is missing. I guess in 86 they put it in a bad spot, and it was destroyed. Anyway the CHP told my uncle that the only way to get it legal is to split the case and buy a new outer case (the part with the engine#) from honda. Also he has to bring it down there while it is apart to show them that it is the same engine. They told him he has a year to do it or they can legally go to his house and take the bike. I am trying to but the 250r from my uncle but it isn't even in his name. My uncle thinks it is B.S

fireburns99
08-24-2007, 08:12 AM
What if he tries to do it under a salvage title. Thats how i did mine. But that does seem a little far fetched to have to split the cases, and then show them. Do you have any friends that work for CHP? :)

banshee84
08-24-2007, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by fireburns99
What if he tries to do it under a salvage title. Thats how i did mine. But that does seem a little far fetched to have to split the cases, and then show them. Do you have any friends that work for CHP? :)

His son (my cousin) has a really good friend that is a CHP officer. I guess that guys dad is also a CHP officer so My uncle is going to talk to them. I tell him about the salvage title thanks

fireburns99
08-24-2007, 08:48 AM
Then i would just have their friends sign off on it. All you need is a CHP officers signature. Don't even bother with the salvage title. And how was the VIN destroyed, on an 86 motor, i think that the vin is on top of the left case.

Scott-300ex
08-24-2007, 11:33 AM
I just had the guy I bought mine from write a bill of sale.

Scott bought this from me, 1989 250r on this date this is my name and his and our signature.

Why are you going threw all this? They don't need to know he has it and how the f are they gonna take it away from him if he bought it then its legally his.

Are you trying to get this thing street legal or somethin?

fireburns99
08-24-2007, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex
I just had the guy I bought mine from write a bill of sale.

Scott bought this from me, 1989 250r on this date this is my name and his and our signature.

Why are you going threw all this? They don't need to know he has it and how the f are they gonna take it away from him if he bought it then its legally his.

Are you trying to get this thing street legal or somethin?
Because we live in california. You MUST have a green sticker, which is the same as a license, and is obtained through the DMV.

banshee84
08-24-2007, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by fireburns99
Then i would just have their friends sign off on it. All you need is a CHP officers signature. Don't even bother with the salvage title. And how was the VIN destroyed, on an 86 motor, i think that the vin is on top of the left case.

I don't know my uncle expained to me what he thinks happened. My uncle has the pink slip and everthing he just never got it registered. He rides at clear creek (aboout 2.5 hours south of San Jose) and they don't check registration. Well I am sure he will get it signed off by the other CHP officer, thanks for the info

deathman53
08-25-2007, 04:48 AM
new engine cases don't have any numbers on them. I have 3 new sets of cases, none of them do. And the number is pretty much above the shifter shaft. The engine number shouldn't mean anything, the frame nbumbers do. Read up on the books about this issue. it sounds like he doesn't know what he is talking about.