PDA

View Full Version : need help with sprockets

oleboy87
08-23-2007, 07:22 PM
whats the difference in o-ring chains and x-ring chains also whats the diff in alloy and steel sprocket kits?

oleboy87
08-23-2007, 07:23 PM
and what the stock chain and sprocket size for a 02 ex

dariusld
08-23-2007, 07:43 PM
An X-ring is more expensive and last longer. Aluminium sprockets don't last very long but are lighter. 15F 38R 520x94 chain

EX LONERIDER
08-23-2007, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by dariusld
An X-ring is more expensive and last longer. Aluminium sprockets don't last very long but are lighter. 15F 38R 520x94 chain

ive heard that the "x" ring chains actually dont last AS long as an "o" ring chain. "x" ring chains have less drag but personally i dont think they are worth the durability vs the drag.

he is true on the alloy sprockets though... they dont last as long as the steel ones. for how much weight you'd save on sprockets i dont think its worth the longevity vs the steel ones either. its all marketing pitches. stock front is a 14T. rear is a 38T.

all in all its up to you on what you want. the lighter, and less drag stuff will gain you some diffrence but probably not noticable diffrence and for the price i think you'd be happier with something thats gonna last you longer. you gotta decide on that end of what you'll be happier with.

oleboy87
08-23-2007, 09:25 PM
thanks for all the help guys

dariusld
08-24-2007, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by EX LONERIDER
ive heard that the "x" ring chains actually dont last AS long as an "o" ring chain. "x" ring chains have less drag but personally i dont think they are worth the durability vs the drag.

he is true on the alloy sprockets though... they dont last as long as the steel ones. for how much weight you'd save on sprockets i dont think its worth the longevity vs the steel ones either. its all marketing pitches. stock front is a 14T. rear is a 38T.

all in all its up to you on what you want. the lighter, and less drag stuff will gain you some diffrence but probably not noticable diffrence and for the price i think you'd be happier with something thats gonna last you longer. you gotta decide on that end of what you'll be happier with.

I love when people quote me, saying I'm wrong , then pull BS out of their ***.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

MO-EX-RIDER
08-24-2007, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by dariusld
I love when people quote me, saying I'm wrong , then pull BS out of their ***.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

and his sprocket sizes are off too?

02 ex = 15t front and 38t rear

04blasterkid
08-24-2007, 07:42 PM
just to seal the deal here

99-04 has a 15t front sproclet amd 38 rear
05+ has a 14t front and a 38 rear

exrider49
08-24-2007, 09:20 PM
my ek xring chain lasted longer than my o rink RK chain and it was half the price..i get my chain and sprockets off www.magicracing.com for $80 u get both front and rear steel sprockets and a gold xring chain and i had this setup for over 2 years now and my front sprocket is finally showing wear

Big - D Racing
08-26-2007, 05:27 PM
Alright I will settle this worthless feude. Yes X-ring have less drag, they are able to hold more grease in their grooves compared to a typical o-ring. Less drag means less wear. The longevity of an x-ring is a lot longer than an o-ring. Do the math, less drag, more grease = longer life. Simple. Gearing is a 15t front stock not 14.