PDA

View Full Version : All the local tracks banning quads!!

MX450
08-23-2007, 07:16 PM
Guys i need some help, all my tracks within 30min - hour/half away have closed their doors to quads. The closest one now is running a series with another track thats about 2 hours away, but when they finish the series atvs go bye bye. That leaves me to drive 2 hours to ride my nine thousand dollar quad, passing about 3 tracks on the way.

With atv racing growing as much as it has been something has got to be done about this BS! All the winey dirt bike riders dont like our roost or flattening their pretty little ruts i guess.. i dont know, i really dont see what the big deal is. Just last week i was up at a track for tuesday night practice, there was 6 quads there altogether. Thats 120 bux they lose out every week, and when the series is over hundreds more. I just dont understand what the big deal is.. a business is a business.. the goal is to get more customers, not turn them away. What can we do positively to get these tracks to open their doors again?????

exrider12
08-23-2007, 07:39 PM
the reason i bought my 150r was that my local track in massachusetts shut out quads and it is the only track within 3 hours

quad2xtreme
08-23-2007, 07:43 PM
Not sure about Georgia but North Carolina is a bike state. If one track allows quads and the bike riders get pissed, they just go to another nearby track. Soon that track has all the bikes and the other is left with not enough quads to support it.

Been thinking about switching back to a dirtbike myself. I started on a bike and switched for my wife who no longer rides mx tracks anyhow.

It is so easy to groom and switch between quads and bikes anyhow...they could at least run quads on Saturdays and bikes on Sundays. I feel your pain.

Your too far but I drive to Breezewood (6 hrs) just to hit the best quad track around...too bad this is way out of range for you.

Your only solid solution is to form a riding club and get enough quad people to actually agree to show up on the same day. Nobody is going to turn 20-30 quads away on a given day.

73watermutt
08-23-2007, 08:04 PM
This is why I went back to bikes. I could never find a place to pratice on my quad.

JJs450r
08-23-2007, 08:06 PM
im from nc and most of our tracks east of rahleigh allow quads, but ya alot of the dirt bikers dont like us much

Quad18star
08-23-2007, 08:12 PM
They might lose out on your $120 , but if 3 dirt bike riders complain and threaten to not return , they lose $360 .

Business is business ... sometimes you gotta piss off 1 person to please 3 others. :ermm:

Rulz
08-23-2007, 08:19 PM
The WPSA and the ATVA need to really step up and get involved with doing a better job promoting all tracks, national and local tracks for quad riding/racing. The growth the MX quad scene has had over the past few years will be shortlived if more local tracks continue to ban quads. The WPSA and ATVA has clout, they need to use it!!

quad2xtreme
08-23-2007, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by JJs450r
im from nc and most of our tracks east of rahleigh allow quads, but ya alot of the dirt bikers dont like us much

You mind listing the websites for the tracks that you know allow quads. I've looked at ATVNC and a few others. It is really hard to tell from some of the sites whether they allow them or not.

Thanks,

Jon

honda4life72
08-23-2007, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
You mind listing the websites for the tracks that you know allow quads. I've looked at ATVNC and a few others. It is really hard to tell from some of the sites whether they allow them or not.

Thanks,

Jon i go to robbins ridge , tt track and a mx track side by side

www.robbinsridgemotorsports.com

KXRida
08-24-2007, 07:14 AM
You kinda have to look at it from a track owner's perspective I guess. I know up here in a Pa the bike turn out is huge compared to the quads. On a good weekend quad C gets like 6 people then maybe 2 B riders, and 1 A if you're lucky. Now compare that to a full gate of 125C which is 40 riders. So basically if the bike riders complain and go else where, that kinda screws that track over. I'm not knocking on quads or anything, I used to race them, but it is kind of a vibe killer when you have some really nice ruts going and they get destroyed in like 30 seconds lol. Maybe write a letter to your ama congress rep? I know most tracks up here only let quads run on one day of the week and bikes all week. I.E, Area 251 mx will only let quads run on tuesdays, but bikes run all week. Rocket raceway was nice enough to atleast let them run on saturdays, but bikes only sunday. Being a current bike rider, I usually keep my mouth shut on these kinds of topics because my opinion is a little biased haha.

mole97
08-24-2007, 07:28 AM
(All the local tracks banning quads!! ) This is why I got a bike..My places and options tripled!....I do miss my quad, but...

LTR450_#67
08-24-2007, 10:23 AM
To heel with them we need some guys that are willing to build quad specific tracks.....

KXRida
08-24-2007, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by LTR450_#67
To heel with them we need some guys that are willing to build quad specific tracks.....

I agree it would keep everyone happy and pretty much segregate the bikes and quads. In all reality though, I don't see that happening around where I live. There just isn't as big of a turn out as bike riders and I wouldn't see the track lasting long for being quads only.

gbcap
08-24-2007, 11:40 AM
Breezewood Proving Grounds is a Prime Example of how it works together. Bikes and Quads co-exist well together. yes, more quads there then bikes on most days. and I am sure at a 'normal' bike track there is alot more bikes then there are bikes at breezewood but there are plenty of bikes there too. Dan doesn't shut anyone out and its proving that it works. if he had room to make 3 more tracks he could probably fill them up too. tracks don't realize that quads bring more money in then they think. and if they pleased them they would bring more quads with them next time.

i understand that if 300 bikes come and 20 quads come and if 50 bikes threaten to leave because of the quads it makes sense to cut them out...but then those 20 quads will bring 25 next time. and 50 next time and 100 next time when they KNOW they won't be kicked out. word gets around fast.

Quad18star
08-24-2007, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by gbcap
Breezewood Proving Grounds is a Prime Example of how it works together. Bikes and Quads co-exist well together. yes, more quads there then bikes on most days. and I am sure at a 'normal' bike track there is alot more bikes then there are bikes at breezewood but there are plenty of bikes there too. Dan doesn't shut anyone out and its proving that it works. if he had room to make 3 more tracks he could probably fill them up too. tracks don't realize that quads bring more money in then they think. and if they pleased them they would bring more quads with them next time.

i understand that if 300 bikes come and 20 quads come and if 50 bikes threaten to leave because of the quads it makes sense to cut them out...but then those 20 quads will bring 25 next time. and 50 next time and 100 next time when they KNOW they won't be kicked out. word gets around fast.

I think the difference with Breezewood and other tracks , from the pictures that I've seen, is that Breezewood is mostly a hard packed track. I'm sure owners and dirtbike riders don't mind quads on a hard packed tracks since there usually isn't too many ruts that are formed , but when you get into loamy or sand tracks that the bikes make their nice deep grooves then the quads come out and flatten it all , the bikes get pissed because it took them all morning to form those grooves.

That's just my take on things from what I've seen and heard from tracks that I've been to.

Brad77
08-24-2007, 01:00 PM
Hey I know what your talking about. I live a lot further south than you do but I think its the same over the entire state of Ga.. I don't have very many tracks around my house the closest is about an hour away and they banned quads a couple of years ago.
I don't understand cause it seems quad racing is on the next level as far as the nationals are concerned but on a local level its horrible here in GA.
I used to race in the now abolished GPG (georgia promotors group) series which was a bike and quad series. Donny Banks had some control in this series. Well the quad classes slowly died out and now I don't think (whatever that series is called) there is a quad class anymore.
There is the SE quad series but all of their tracks are too far for me to travel to. Most of which are in Alabama.
Because of the limited track access to quads I have completely stopped racing and have just about quit riding too.
I know that Durhamtown allows quads and also Paradise park just east of Macon allows quads. Although the times I have been to these places their mx tracks were not all that great.
It really seems as though MX is dying here in Ga.
Although cross country is a different story. The SORCS series has been having very good turnouts with bikes and quads.

XCpred
08-24-2007, 02:27 PM
I know alot of the tracks here in GA are closing to quads and it really sucks. The only places I ever go anymore are to Durham Town and Monroe mx. Monroe is a fun track but dp's tracks suck real bad. If any of you ga guys ever wanna ride at monroe hit me up. I think i'm going to check out Broad River atv before to long.

lilyamaharacer4
12-16-2007, 06:07 PM
i do have to agree with kxrida there isnt much love to quads at all up here in pa but a few of my friends go down to lostcreek raceway or pyramid valley ( which ever you want to call it) down in West Virginia and they do have a pretty good turnout on both quads and bikes, and business is business theres no use to the owner to invite quads up to lose all their business and end up shutting the track down

wvspeedfreak
12-16-2007, 06:19 PM
Threads like this make me realize how lucky I am to live as close to Breezewood Proving Grounds as I do.Dan has worked his butt off to make quad and bike riders happy and it has worked.It really is a shame more tracks can't do the same.

lilyamaharacer4
12-16-2007, 06:27 PM
i do have 2 agree with that that has to be the best and most rider friendly track ive been to in pa

quad2xtreme
12-16-2007, 06:54 PM
The only downside to moving to NC for me was being so far from Breezewood. I still make the 7 hr drive every few months though. Can't wait for March to get here. Hopefully I can find a few guys in NC who want to come up for 3 day weekend riding. It would be good to share some of the expenses. It takes about 25 gallons of diesel each direction. Right now, diesel is $3.35 a gallon.

I really don't see the difficulty in designing a track that could work for both quads and bikes. There is no need for both to follow the same path in the turns. As long as the jumps aren't groomed then there shouldn't be a problem...very easy to put up a sign that points bike in one direction and ATV the other.

/Jon

BlaineKaiser450
12-16-2007, 09:08 PM
all my tracks are opening up more to quads now. We are finnaly getting 20+ turnout at dirtbike races and the tracks are taking notice and making quad days and such. Just get as many riders together and make a huge turnout at a race and maybe t hey will start letting quads in. It worked for me

QuadJunkies
12-16-2007, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
They might lose out on your $120 , but if 3 dirt bike riders complain and threaten to not return , they lose $360 .

Business is business ... sometimes you gotta piss off 1 person to please 3 others. :ermm:
Sounds like where we live .:ermm: lol
Unfortunately,your 100% correct.

pred174
12-16-2007, 09:33 PM
makes me feel good to have one within 30min.. gravity park...it also sponsored by jansen motorsports...we usually get around 20 to 25 guys in c class about 12 in b and about 8 in A...and they also hold quadlympics also...the only problem is they get so overloaded on a friday night that you only get 4 or 5 lap motos

hornetgod13
12-17-2007, 12:50 AM
I feel your pain. I have to drive close to 2 hours to get to any decent riding areas.

bwamos
12-17-2007, 06:40 AM
Yep, feel your pain also. The 2 nearest "decent" places here to ride are 1.75hr's and 2.5hrs away.

trxwannbe
12-17-2007, 06:43 AM
its about 2 or 3 hours for me for all the tracks my series races but when we go there we have 4-500 entries so they tend to like having us there

jherbie28
12-17-2007, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
The only downside to moving to NC for me was being so far from Breezewood. I still make the 7 hr drive every few months though. Can't wait for March to get here. Hopefully I can find a few guys in NC who want to come up for 3 day weekend riding. It would be good to share some of the expenses. It takes about 25 gallons of diesel each direction. Right now, diesel is $3.35 a gallon.

I really don't see the difficulty in designing a track that could work for both quads and bikes. There is no need for both to follow the same path in the turns. As long as the jumps aren't groomed then there shouldn't be a problem...very easy to put up a sign that points bike in one direction and ATV the other.

/Jon

the only problem with that is...take tomahawk mx (WV) for example, they shut out quads, then they slap some haggard *** atv track(so they call it) together and let us back in and call it a mx track:mad:. i wish we really could find a solution. Oh go tooooooooo the BREEZEWOOD PROVING GROUNDS....dan is truly the man.(problem solved:devil: )

TCracin440ex
12-17-2007, 05:22 PM
if yall guys are in north carolina dont forget about birch creek....thats right in danville which aint far off the NC line...we have a few good tracks here in va that are quad friendly...lakesugar tree, and va motorsports park

i used to go to birch creek all the time to practice the man that owns the track is a very friendly guy and dont turn anybody down....also its a very secluded track so not much of a turnout on a weekend...maybe approx 25 ppl on the track at a given time...thats just a practice session tho...

oh and it is a national level track so its not just some track that a jackleg and a bulldozer made....

also i know a guy that has a private track locally...he rides dirtbikes and built the track for dirtbikes but he loves the quad guys to come and ride his track because we actually groom the track for him by knocking out the ruts and such the bikers make...so he dont turn down quad guys either