PDA

View Full Version : buying a bike that has been raced

400exfan19
08-23-2007, 06:13 PM
i am considering buying a 450 that is totally race ready and has been raced, they said they just put in a new piston with no rides on it. Is there anything to look out for or get inspected when buying a raced bike? is it even a good idea to even buy a bike that has been raced? they said it wasnt raced very much though. comments would be appreciated!!

Crazy lil punk
08-23-2007, 07:12 PM
ehhhh, I would learly, people who race usally beat the S!@#& out of the bike to win....

dopeyferree
08-24-2007, 08:10 AM
Honestly I would rather buy a quad that has been raced, Generally people who race really take care of thier equipment, not just ride them and stuff them in the garage. The maintenance and replacement of worn parts is usually alot better.

ZSK
08-24-2007, 08:27 AM
Many times a race quad is better maintained than a trail quad. Racing isn't always harder on a quad it's just that the miles put on it are usually harder. Look for the basics and worn out parts.

yfz450rida
08-24-2007, 08:53 AM
i couldn't agree anymore with the above two answers i personally race and a race bike is maintained oil is constatly changed the quad gets washed after every use. I would rather beat my quad for 30mins. and take care of it than opposed to beating the s..t out of it all day and not wash or take care of it and do it again the next day over and over. It Adds Up!

Toadz400
08-26-2007, 10:22 AM
What year is the YFZ? If it's 04-06 I would ask if the oil mod/upgrade has been done. If not, I would be weary of the crank that's in the quad. They might have put a new piston in but surely that engine has been pushed to it's max and the rod could be in rough condition because of the lack of oil with the older model YFZ's.

As far as race quads, they do tend to be maintained better than other quads. My YFZ's been raced a few times and I've never pushed it to it's max as I'm just out there to have fun and it always got an oil change and a good look-over for other things afterwards.

Crazy lil punk
08-26-2007, 02:51 PM
I know race quads are very well maintained, but they are just pushed out to the limit with all the pistons and better cranks that the bike constantly needs to be rebuilt.

400exfan19
08-27-2007, 01:43 PM
the bike was used as a practice bike, not the actual bike used in races. Any questions i should ask him? the bike has never been rebuilt. Any other things i should inspect?

Toadz400
08-27-2007, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by 400exfan19
the bike was used as a practice bike, not the actual bike used in races. Any questions i should ask him? the bike has never been rebuilt. Any other things i should inspect?

I thought you said they just put a piston in it? I would just go over the entire bike with a fine tooth comb and make sure nothing is cracked or broken, excessively worn out, etc. Start up the quad and make sure there is no excessive amount of smoke or hesitation. Etc., etc.

yernkie
08-27-2007, 09:18 PM
My only advice is make sure that you take someone with you that knows quads and that will give you an honest opinion. I know from experience how exciting the thought of getting a new toy can be and sometimes that can affect the decision to buy. Have the other person look over it very closely with you and even if there is something that you see that needs to be fixed, weigh in the cost of other mods on the bike. Think about it like this...if you were to buy a new (or a mint used bike) how much would you have to spend to get it up to par with this bike, like suspension mods, etc. Buying a built race quad can save you a lot of money over buying a stock bike. From my experience rebuilding a motor (piston, vavles, clutch, even crank) is cheaper than a complete race suspension (a-arms, shocks, axle, swingarm, beadlocks, etc). If it is a YFZ see if it has had the cam mod and oil mod.

Racer tend to take good care of their quads. Plus, I rarely race (flat track), but I am just as hard on my quad on the trails and at the dunes as most racers.

ATC_KING
08-29-2007, 02:11 PM
i have asked this on a other thread and know one has told me yet so what is a oil mod

yernkie
08-29-2007, 02:23 PM
I do not have a YFZ so someone speak up if I say something incorrectly. Basically, YFZ's wristpins don't get any oil. This is bad. In 07 the sidecase of the 450 motor is different and there are oil ports which allow oil to flow to the piston. There are a coupel of different companies that make the upgrade...some mod your existing sidecase while others sell you a new (07) sidecase. I hear that the 07 sidecase is better.

Toadz400
08-29-2007, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by yernkie
I do not have a YFZ so someone speak up if I say something incorrectly. Basically, YFZ's wristpins don't get any oil. This is bad. In 07 the sidecase of the 450 motor is different and there are oil ports which allow oil to flow to the piston. There are a coupel of different companies that make the upgrade...some mod your existing sidecase while others sell you a new (07) sidecase. I hear that the 07 sidecase is better.

There is a big difference between the Oil Mod and the Oil Upgrade. The oil mod is just a hole drilled in the side of your case and usually a jet installed to direct oil onto the wrist pin. The Oil Upgrade is the addition of the oil squirter from the '07 models which directs oil onto the wrist pin. A high flow oil pump is also included. The reason why I would go with the Upgrade is because of the pump included, because with the oil mod you are losing oil pressure.

yernkie
08-29-2007, 04:31 PM
Thanks for clearing that up for me!

ATC_KING
08-30-2007, 02:20 PM
i now understand what they are talking about now. thanks

another thing i dont know that much about is one of my friends turned the cam chain on his YFZ 450 and now it backfires when he gets off the gas. cant you do that with the other brands? how many teeth do you hace to turn it back or fowards.

Toadz400
08-30-2007, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by ATC_KING
i now understand what they are talking about now. thanks

another thing i dont know that much about is one of my friends turned the cam chain on his YFZ 450 and now it backfires when he gets off the gas. cant you do that with the other brands? how many teeth do you hace to turn it back or fowards.

If you are talking about the "Cam Mod" you move the exhaust cam back one tooth I believe, not the chain. What you're doing is retarding the cam.

RosquistRacer39
09-01-2007, 07:02 PM
This is my opinion so take t for what its worth, buying a quad that has been raced is a risky proposition. I know racers take care of things but as well they are 10 times harder on their bikes than normal riders. Most never use the clutch which can bend shift forks and tear up the transmission which you cant see with visual inspection. Ride the bike and see how it shifts, if its notchy I would second guess buying it. Also go over the frame, a-arms, and swingarm with a fine tooth comb. The frames ( If not gusseted) usually crack around the rear subframe mounts, front shock mounts, under the gas tank, and at the very front where the bottom and top of frame meet. Look at the chain for wear and get it up on a lift to spin the wheels to see if the bearings are tight or loose. If its a stock subframe check for cracks under the seat where the seat hooks. Also look at the bottom of the pipe to see if dented, if it is the subrame is weak. If the guy will let you take it home and hand wash it, youll notice a lot more if you are able to inspect it.

07yfz88trx
09-09-2007, 11:13 AM
im thinking about buying a bike that has been raced but i dont know if its a good idea. It has a complete national motor built by nmotion. He said he put in a new piston every 10 hours and oil was changed after every single ride.

He said the motor has been rebuilt with 3 hours on it. It has a 13:1 Wiseco piston, ported and polished head, web cams, and oil mod all done profesionaly by nmotion. The bike also has a full nmotion exhaust and fully gusseted and candy blue powdercoated frame with a lonestar subframe.

He is selling it because he got a new bike and it had elkas and K&K plastics and holeshots but he took the stock a arms, shocks, plastics, bars, stem, tires n wheels, and axle off of his new bike and put it on that one. I think its a really good deal and we have 2 250r and i think this bike might be more reliable.

All We do is dune ride and we go out at least 2 to 3 times a month so we wont ride it as hard as he does usually.

O and it was also the march 2006 QOTM on yfz central heres the link

http://www.yfzcentral.com/qotm/2006/march/

Remember though it doesn't come with the susupension holeshots beadlocks axle and handlebars in that picture

07yfz88trx
09-09-2007, 11:14 AM
heres a pic from that link

Toadz400
09-09-2007, 10:21 PM
I'd say go and take a look at it. Looks to be in awesome condition and I wouldn't really worry about the engine all that much.

How much does he want for it with all that stuff taken off?

07yfz88trx
09-10-2007, 09:09 PM
he doesnt want like anything for it im suprised anyone would sell this bike that cheap. My friend is looking into buying it to and i dont care because hed let me mob it to. I dont know if you'll believe me but he only wants $4000 for it

O ya i can't go look at it though because i live in california and he is in montana.

cbrooks118
09-11-2007, 02:22 PM
funny story about the nmotion guys-->

we were at sandjam at waynoka over june 9th an 10th i believe. Our campsite was second to the end on in the powersport camps. Well anyways we were hanging with our neighbors who had the best view fo the freestyle, and some of the crowd asked to sit in their campsite as well, our neighbors were nice and obliged, and while we were waiting we heard a group sayign they worked for nmotion (about 6 of em i think) and they were bragging about how awesome they were.. Ok no biggy, everyone was drinkin a couple beers...some guys are just cocky.... they were all braggin about how they built one of the quads that was hitting the freestyle. I dont think it was calebs moores, i think it was the other guy who was jumping. anyways this guy wasnt even doing the backflip, but itting some cool tricks, but after every jump one guy (from the nmotion team) would obnoxiously yell "NMOTION", every jump it was becoming annoying. After one jump at the bottom of the lander his quad died and the freestyle guy couldnt get it started for like 5 min (he finally abandoned it) I then yell "NMOTION" from the camp, and everyone laughed hysterically, except the NMOTION crew, but they couldnt say crap becasue the whole campsite was laughing at them. If they wouldnt have been jerks, then nothing would have been said

250r4life
09-11-2007, 03:53 PM
you have to be really careful buying a bike that has been raced out...

yes a lot of them take good care of them, and they change the oil and yada yada yada...

the things you have to understand, is there are a lot of parts on the bikes that arent frequently replaced that have a finite life... the frame only holds up for so long, the gears only hold up for so long, bearings, etc...