PDA

View Full Version : buying a bike that has been raced

400exfan19
08-23-2007, 06:12 PM
i am considering buying a 450 that is totally race ready and has been raced, they said they just put in a new piston with no rides on it. Is there anything to look out for or get inspected when buying a raced bike? is it even a good idea to even buy a bike that has been raced? they said it wasnt raced very much though. comments would be appreciated!!

tar
08-23-2007, 07:24 PM
Check the frame out really good! Yea there is nothing wrong with buying a race bike. They give them hell but so do rec. riders plus most racers probably change their oil every couple races.

h400exrydr
08-23-2007, 11:06 PM
honestly, i would buy a race bike. they are maintained alot better in most circumstances, not saying that all people dont do there maintenance. its just that racers usually want to finish the race, so they do what they can to not have a DNF, its what i call preventative maintenance. and yea look at the frame for any chipped paint where there would be stress. check for bent stuff, and just look it over good. you can tell if they cared for it or not for sure.

Sjorge450R
08-24-2007, 09:46 AM
personaly, i would never buy another quad from a rec rider. I would buy one from a racer tho. Rec riders are usually clue less to maintenance. I know if my dad owned a quad he would change the oil every 3 months and clean the filter every 3 oil changes. Just like he would do to his cars. Its just the fact that rec riders dont care as much as racers. Me as a racer, i change oil every two races and clean the filter between rides There is no skipping on maintenance for racers.

Oh and just look for stuff that is worn out. IE: axle bearings, a arm bushings, cracks in the frame. Little things like that can add up quickly when having to replace them.

trx450jason
08-25-2007, 11:09 AM
I know I take a lot better of my bike now that I race. But check the upper frame rails and upper shock mounts for cracks

kbass24emtp
08-25-2007, 11:38 AM
Just look over the frame really good. Also look at the shocks and check for leaking oil. Racers do take really good care of their quads.

Flyin-Low
08-26-2007, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
personaly, i would never buy another quad from a rec rider. I would buy one from a racer tho. Rec riders are usually clue less to maintenance. I know if my dad owned a quad he would change the oil every 3 months and clean the filter every 3 oil changes. Just like he would do to his cars. Its just the fact that rec riders dont care as much as racers. Me as a racer, i change oil every two races and clean the filter between rides There is no skipping on maintenance for racers.

Oh and just look for stuff that is worn out. IE: axle bearings, a arm bushings, cracks in the frame. Little things like that can add up quickly when having to replace them.

Haha, sure buddy.. A rec rider (such as myself) will take just as good care of his quad than a racer. It sure would suck to be out on the trails and have a break down by yourself in the middle of nowhere.

Rec quads don't even need AS MUCH maintenance as a race quad because they arn't constantly flogged on..

But yeah, go ahead and get your race quad.

-Martin

hendershot106
08-28-2007, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by h400exrydr
honestly, i would buy a race bike. they are maintained alot better in most circumstances, not saying that all people dont do there maintenance. its just that racers usually want to finish the race, so they do what they can to not have a DNF, its what i call preventative maintenance. and yea look at the frame for any chipped paint where there would be stress. check for bent stuff, and just look it over good. you can tell if they cared for it or not for sure.

thats exactly what i woulda gave as my 2 cents!

lumi
08-28-2007, 01:19 PM
look the other way...

Over-land 450r
08-28-2007, 08:37 PM
if its a nice bike thats well built with name brand components. it will be a good deal. racers dont do stupid things like some rec riders would. u should be ok just put it on flat ground and stand a few feet back and look at the fender height, shock mount height. the positioning of the tire tilt. all wats to see if something is tweeked. and even if it is a little bit its no big deal. good luck.