PDA

View Full Version : crankcase oil

spartankid2011
08-23-2007, 06:09 PM
hi,

i have a 2004 ltz400 se that i was trying to change to oil on. i accidently emptied the crankcase oil and cant figure out how to put more oil back in. help me out. also can i use the normal 4 stroke engine oil when i do this and how much do i add.

thanks

drzoo2
08-23-2007, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by spartankid2011
hi,

i have a 2004 ltz400 se that i was trying to change to oil on. i accidently emptied the crankcase oil and cant figure out how to put more oil back in. help me out. also can i use the normal 4 stroke engine oil when i do this and how much do i add.

thanks
You didn't accidently take it out. Your suppose to. The Z has a dry sump engine. What that means is there is an external oil tank for oil. That doesn't mean the case doesn't contain a small amount of oil. When you change the oil there are two places to drain it. The tank and the engine. You only need to add oil to the tank. With a filter change it takes about 2200mL.

Drain the oil via both plugs. Add about 2000mL into the tank. Start the bike and let it warm up for a few minutes. Turn it off and let it set for a few minutes. Then just top off the rest.

z