PDA

View Full Version : Primary Drive Chain

Sjorge450R
08-23-2007, 06:01 PM
I need a new chain pretty bad and i was wondering how the PD chains are. I am looking at the gold X ring. I have used the sprockets before and i liked them, not sure on the chains tho. I always used D.I.D X rings. Let me know your experiences and if you have pics, post them.

honda300EXtreme
08-23-2007, 07:07 PM
well, we had a primary drive chain on our z400 it was on o-ring chain,,, not sure which one... and i can tell you it is horrible... its the worst chain we have ever owned, it steched all the time an was constantly popping off, we had to take a link out of it like once a month....

but that was my experience, others have them and love them... but not me..

thats my 0.02

Sjorge450R
08-23-2007, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by honda300EXtreme
well, we had a primary drive chain on our z400 it was on o-ring chain,,, not sure which one... and i can tell you it is horrible... its the worst chain we have ever owned, it steched all the time an was constantly popping off, we had to take a link out of it like once a month....

but that was my experience, others have them and love them... but not me..

thats my 0.02

see this is what i was scared about hearing about. Did you break the chain in properly?

honda300EXtreme
08-23-2007, 08:32 PM
yup we gave it plenty of time to break in.. it was regularly lubed, and adjusted frequently but it still stretched like crazy,

personally ill never buy from them agian,,, especially after we cracked a case because of it...

hopefull other will chime in, this is my experience,, and trust me its not from neglect because we baby our quads

YFZ450Ridr
08-23-2007, 09:42 PM
i had one on my old z400 and didnt like it very much. it was the gold 0-ring. sure it looked pretty and gold but it stretched EASY. i had to tighten the chain after every ride, major pain! the price is good but the quality just isnt there in my opinion. you get what you pay for really sticks here.

Sparky_20
08-23-2007, 09:44 PM
contrary to what everyone else has said, i've had one on my 400ex for 3 months with no problems. I adjust it every 2-3 rides.
Of course since I said that its gonna break on my next ride!!

honda300EXtreme
08-23-2007, 09:48 PM
glad to hear that i am not the only one who has problems with this chain....

personally i love my renthal r-3 o-ring chain.. it never stretches.. i only have to adjust it like 2-3 times a year :eek2:

cchrider
08-23-2007, 09:57 PM
To be honest, when it comes to chain and sprockets. I dont like to cut corners. Im not saying anything bad about PD chains. Im just saying I've always race d.i.d and RK chains. Yea, you may have to spend more money, but in the long run it is better. Especially if you are like the other guy and it goes through your block. Then you will deffinetly have a nice size bill to deal with lol.

Sjorge450R
08-24-2007, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by cchrider
To be honest, when it comes to chain and sprockets. I dont like to cut corners. Im not saying anything bad about PD chains. Im just saying I've always race d.i.d and RK chains. Yea, you may have to spend more money, but in the long run it is better. Especially if you are like the other guy and it goes through your block. Then you will deffinetly have a nice size bill to deal with lol.

yeah like i mentioned before, I have always used DID ATV X rings. I guess im just going to have to order that chain and i will still continue to use the PD sprockets.

Sjorge450R
08-24-2007, 09:36 AM
I just went ahead and ordered a DID ATV X ring with the PD sprockets this morning....lol. Glad i posted here first, because i was gonna order the PD set last night. Could have saved me $40, but atleast i know i have a good chain under my ***** now. The didnt have the 450r size chain so i just went ahead and ordered the size above it (520x96). I hate cutting these chains, but hey, i didnt want to have to wait until october to order a chain from RMATV.

Thanks for your help.