PDA

View Full Version : How to install this chain link???

syoung_2000
08-23-2007, 03:12 PM
I ordered this link from bikebandit for my 400ex. They said it was a master link. I was expecting there to be that long c shaped clip.

It just had a solid end to slide on with no place to slide that clip onto and one was not including.

How does this type install? All I could think to do was use vise grips and clamp the side piece over those two little rods?

It's # 14 on this webpage. It's referred to as a joint set (daido)

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com/parts/Honda/TRX400EX+FOURTRAX+EX/2001/386590

Did I install it right or is there another way? It's on there tight, but I'd hate it to pop off while I'm riding up a steep hill if I didn't do it right

Thanks in advance everyone!

GPracer2500
08-23-2007, 04:18 PM
It's a rivet link. It has to be secured with a chain riveter. Even if the side plate fit on snuggly (they're usually quite snug) it is not safe to ride without having it secured properly.

FYI, there's more than one type of masterlink. The two common ones are the clip-type (the kind you thought you were getting) and the rivet type. The clip type can be removed without destroying the link and doesn't require special tools. The rivet type is permanent (once it's riveted on it is essentially just like every other link in the chain) and requires a chain riveter for installation.