PDA

View Full Version : 3 Questions Please Help!!!

dirtbike&quad
08-23-2007, 10:54 AM
if i take a link out of the chain, will it dull my sprocket more than normal? i read that somewhere.

if i raced my 300ex locally, would i race Youth, Adult Novice or Adult Pro B? I should say XC racing. and what type of extra parts should i bring? how rough are the trails...and will my rims be ok or do i need like reinforced rims?

im looking to pick up a rm125 i found, but my question is, im 5'6 and the seat height would be too big for me, what could i do to lower the bike? how much would cutting the seat foam cut it down? what about smaller tires?

thanks for anything you can answer.
Mike

PolarisRider
08-23-2007, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by dirtbike&quad
if i take a link out of the chain, will it dull my sprocket more than normal? i read that somewhere.

im looking to pick up a rm125 i found, but my question is, im 5'6 and the seat height would be too big for me, what could i do to lower the bike? how much would cutting the seat foam cut it down? what about smaller tires?

Mike

1. why are you taking a link out?

3. ehh i dunno im 6 foot and im barely flat foot on a 125. Itd be hard to cut a half a foot down. Try lowering the suspension.

Kaleigh
08-23-2007, 11:08 AM
the only one i can help with is the 125.. with the subframe.. look at the bottom bolt.. englarge that hole to its oval.. then the seat should drop down a few inches.. i know lots of people that do this..

dirtbike&quad
08-23-2007, 11:19 AM
polaris:
taking a link out because the chain is too lose, and the axle is the furthest back it can be, do you suggest buying a new chain? i figured just take out a link and ill be fine.

kaleigh:
not really sure i understand what ur saying. i guess id have to look at the bike or something

Honda TRX250ex
08-23-2007, 11:43 AM
No it wont wear out your sprocket, How old is the chain is it rusty ect.

Depending on your age it will show you what class you should be in. I already told you what extra stuff to bring in your other thread. Some trails are rough some arent depends on where you race. Stock rims are alright but if you have the money get beadlocks and aftermarket tires.

What year is the bike? If you cant fit on it go to a KX100 or the 85s... You can get smaller rims and lower the suspension. Cutting foam out of the wont really do anything just make your ars hurt more.

dirtbike&quad
08-23-2007, 12:15 PM
tires are 6 ply so i doubt ill have problems with that. and the chain idk how old it is, but its not rusty.

for the dirtbike my friend said we could pull down the front forks a little and get a Lowering link that goes under the rear shock ...which should make it sit lower.
make sense?

08-23-2007, 01:29 PM
Start off in C. From what I hear in XC the quad doesnt matter that much. Meaning if you where in C class on a 300 in MX you wuoldnt stand a chance, but XC is alot tighter so you should be good.

Kaleigh
08-23-2007, 01:45 PM
polaris:
taking a link out because the chain is too lose, and the axle is the furthest back it can be, do you suggest buying a new chain? i figured just take out a link and ill be fine.

kaleigh:
not really sure i understand what ur saying. i guess id have to look at the bike or something

sorry.. i tried the best I could.. i might take a picture and show you what i mean..

if anyone else knows what im talking about.. can you help me explain..

thanks

whiteboycustom
08-23-2007, 01:55 PM

UR CHAIN MIGHT BE OLD AND STRETCHED SO REPLACE IT

if i raced my 300ex locally, would i race Youth, Adult Novice or Adult Pro B? I should say XC racing. and what type of extra parts should i bring? how rough are the trails...and will my rims be ok or do i need like reinforced rims?

GO TO 450R HQ.COM THEY HAVE A DOWNLOADABLE RACE CHECKLIST THAT MIGHT HELP U OUT

MAYBE ADJUST THE REAR SHOCK TO LOWER IT, THERES WAYS TO ADJUST THE SAG AND ALL THAT

Mike

dirtbike&quad
08-23-2007, 02:10 PM
The race is as follows:

Youth
Adult Novice
Adult Pro A, Adult Pro B

thats it. I mean im definetly a good rider and im not afraid to tackle any obsticle and i can throw around the 300 pretty well but im not stupid and know my boundaries. this would be my first race, what would someone suggest? what is the youth class and could i run that?

GPracer2500
08-23-2007, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Honda TRX250ex
....Cutting foam out of the wont really do anything just make your ars hurt more.

What makes you say that? Shaving the seat foam is a common way to lower seat height. It's pretty easy to do, it makes a difference, and if you don't like it all your out is a $50 piece of seat foam. Many MX bikes actually have/had different thickness of foam available as a special order part from the OEM specifically for varying the seat height. As far as comfort, I don't actually sit on the seats of my dirt bikes much anyway. If I was short I'd gladly trade seat comfort for a lower seat height.

Tansworld MX article on bike fitting for short riders (http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/how_to/article/0,13190,1177923,00.html)

http://img.timeinc.net/mx/content/images/jun06/060206/SDG2.jpg

http://www.trumoto.com/images/seat.jpg

dirtbike&quad
08-24-2007, 12:33 PM
well yea i guess the chain is stretched, but cant i just take a link out? wouldnt that be better than getting a whole new chain and save me money or is that a bad idea?

and gpracer do you anywhere i could send a seat to get it cut like that? or its a do-it-yourself type job?

honda300EXtreme
08-24-2007, 01:54 PM
if your chain has too much slack go ahead and take a link out.....it wont hurt anything just make sure its not to tight...

also after you take a link out, and if it stretches again then its time for a new chain...--

GPracer2500
08-24-2007, 02:16 PM
well yea i guess the chain is stretched, but cant i just take a link out? wouldnt that be better than getting a whole new chain and save me money or is that a bad idea?

and gpracer do you anywhere i could send a seat to get it cut like that? or its a do-it-yourself type job?

I got the picture of that Honda seat from http://www.trumoto.com/. They do it for $80. So that's always on option but you might try calling around to some local motorcycle shops first to see if anyone offers that service. Or you can just do it yourself. I've never done it but I don't imagine it's too difficult. I'd guess the hardest part is stretching the seat cover over the re-shaped foam and securing it so their are no wrinkles [shrug].

They offer suspension/subframe lowering services too. However, I'm sure professionally lowered suspension is not cheap. So, if you've considered trying to tackle a job like that yourself do lots of research and make sure you know what you're doing. Suspension geometries are not what they are by accident. There's probably one or two ways to lower suspension correctly and a 100 other ways that totally screw up the suspension's tune in the process.

About your chain, if the chain is so stretched that even at the maximum chain adjustment it's still too loose--the chain is worn out and should be replaced. Now, on a 300EX you could probably get away with shortening the chain and continuing to use it. 300EX's aren't that powerful relative to the size of the chain. But understand that you'd be cutting corners by doing that.

Chains and sprockets wear as a set. If you only replace one component in the set all the components will experience accelerated wear. If your chain adjuster is at its maximum and your chain is still too loose, chances are good it's time for a new chain and sprockets.

dirtbike&quad
08-24-2007, 04:52 PM
gpracer...i appreciate ALL of your help. youve been very helpful. i appreciate it

mx428
08-24-2007, 05:52 PM
Cut down your seat, get lower bend bar. I wouldn't recommend anything else. 5'6 is plenty tall for a 125 with a cut seat.

dirtbike&quad
08-24-2007, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by mx428
Cut down your seat, get lower bend bar. I wouldn't recommend anything else. 5'6 is plenty tall for a 125 with a cut seat.

thats what i plan on doing...