PDA

View Full Version : UM belly skid, not impressed

Bender
08-22-2007, 11:03 PM
Well I bought a UM belly skid plate for my Z400. The price seemed ok at $99. Well the hardware was very cheap, the bolts were barely long enough, and are weaker than oem bolts, not to mention not enough washers included. The finnish was crude, one side of the skid has very shap edges and the other side didn't, various tooling marks all over the skid.
The bolt holes and the oil drain hole didn't line up exactly and the fitment in the front was off and looks a bit crooked.
I did like the protective little wing guards that come up to kinda protect the oil lines/waterpump, but I think most belly skids do that anyways.
Well I had bought a PRM belly skid for my 400EX a few years ago, and it was much better in quality and fitment. And the PRM was only a little bit more.
All in all, it's just a slab of metal and probably works as good as any other skid, but for something made in America it sure was crude, I woulld not reccomend UM myself.
Spend a little more and get PRM or Pro-Armor.

JDRider
08-23-2007, 02:28 PM
I've never tried the UM brand.

I just bought a PRM for my KFX400. I bought the frame skid and the swingarm skid, both fit perfect and I like the bracket that PRM gives you to firmly attach the rear part or the frame skid plate.

It's dificult to decide when to save a couple bucks, or just buy the good stuff first. Sometimes you save a couple bucks and find a better product along the way. You just never know, but thanks for letting us know about this one.

JDRider