PDA

View Full Version : ? about coating a pipe

kenjolly
08-22-2007, 07:24 PM
I want do something with the pro pipe and im not sure what better. ceramic,powder coat or chrome and what would these cost.

forgiven
08-22-2007, 07:29 PM
I would think powder coat would be cheapest but the key is getting a high enough temp one. I know you can't do it on a 4stroke so I would look into that first.

sldhd700
08-23-2007, 11:20 AM
You may want to talk to your pipe manufacturer sometimes coatings can effect the way a pipe works. If the coating causes the pipe to retain heat or reduces heat in the pipe it can cause the pipe to not work the way it was designed. Many pipebuilders factor this into their design.

Shayden Housley #39

kenjolly
08-23-2007, 12:19 PM
I found a person local that can ceramic coat it for about 75.00 and the finish will be like polished aluminum.

I just spoke with ozzy and he said IF it did you wouldnt notice it.

you guys can stop me any time from spending more money. i just cant help it, i have come to far to stop now.

forgiven
08-23-2007, 02:09 PM
Cerarmic coatings will actually help disapate heat I believe.

hotquads1
08-23-2007, 03:51 PM
go ceramic !

jread14
08-24-2007, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by forgiven
Cerarmic coatings will actually help disapate heat I believe.

That is correct. On the big bikes we ceramic coat our header pipes to help keep the heat down. It also help keep the motor cooler as well.

hotquads1
08-24-2007, 12:32 PM
OK Ken here are the results of our research, the ceramic coating acts as a thermal barrier or insulator , it will retain the heat in the exhaust chamber ( which benefits a two stroke engine) at the same time it will keep the exterior of the exhaust cooler . the much needed heat is not transfered thru the pipe wall to the exterior. By keeping the exhaust chamber temp more consistent the EGT will rise, improving the efficiency of the pipe and in many cases lower the combustion chamber temps . the exterior pipe temp will maintain such a low surface temp that you could even paint it , and it will hold up !
marc

BradLoomis
08-24-2007, 01:18 PM
The company I use Finish Line Coatings (http://www.finishlinecoatings.com/exhaust.htm) coats the inside of the pipe and the outside. Some places don't do the inside, they just apply it like a powder coat to the outside for higher temperature resistance and better heat wicking capabilities. But by doing the inside it smooths the surfaces and prevents the carbon/oil from sticking to the walls of the pipe, changing the flow characteristics of the pipe through its years of service. Chroming does the same thing, except that the nickle actually retains more heat than a non chromed pipe. Plus chrome can't take the same amount of heat as ceramic can.

kenjolly
08-24-2007, 03:01 PM
Things like this is why people keep coming back to these post,not to here someone trash a quad or worse someone.

Thanks for all the input im sure someone else will benifit as well.

i dropped the pipe of today,

Thanks again Ken Jolly

sanddude
08-25-2007, 09:25 PM
What is the every one paying to get a pipe coated

kenjolly
08-26-2007, 05:47 PM
85.00 for high polish finish