PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Ltz 400 Running Rich

joe_atv
08-22-2007, 01:58 PM
Just got his thing, after about 20 minutes of riding, the plug becomes fouled from running rich. Is there an adjustment on the carb or should I just rebuild the carb? I cant seem to find a carb kit on the internet though.
Thanks
Joe

honda6490
08-22-2007, 05:42 PM
Does it have a bog when you snap the throttle (fuel screw/pilot jet) or is it quick and responsive but runs rich once you have it wide open?? If when you first snap the throttle it bogs you might be able to just fix this with an ajustment of the fuel screw.

Zach

joe_atv
08-22-2007, 06:05 PM
No bog, just running rich and fouling the plug after about 20 min. Then it starts running rough and wont idle.

honda6490
08-22-2007, 08:27 PM
Is your choke maybe staying slightly on. If you pop off the intake boot of the carb check to make sure the choke flap is staying open all the way when its off.

Zach

drzoo2
08-22-2007, 08:34 PM
Are you sure it's not oil fouled? Blue or black smoke? Stock or after market CDI?

Find out what the current jetting is and what mods have been done.

Pilot, Fuel screw, Main.

Good Idea about the choke but it's not really a choke, it's an enricher so there is no flap. Make sure the cable isn't bound were it enters the carb.
z

drnez
08-23-2007, 04:27 AM
If you airbox lid is on, you could take it off and see if it runs better.

honda6490
08-23-2007, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by drzoo2
Are you sure it's not oil fouled? Blue or black smoke? Stock or after market CDI?

Find out what the current jetting is and what mods have been done.

Pilot, Fuel screw, Main.

Good Idea about the choke but it's not really a choke, it's an enricher so there is no flap. Make sure the cable isn't bound were it enters the carb.
z
Oh well i guess you learn something everyday llol. havent taken the intake boot off the carb just jetted it on the bike so i didnt know. I did on the ex thats why I say that.

Zach

joe_atv
08-25-2007, 02:42 PM
Which position should the choke plunger be in when you have the choke on, should the plunger be all the way in or out?

joe_atv
08-25-2007, 03:17 PM
It will only run with the choke lever pushed down, which pulls the plunger out, is this correct? Also the air/fuel screw on the bottom of the carb, does screwing it in make in run leaner or richer. Its set on about 2 turns right now.
Thanks
Joe

drzoo2
08-25-2007, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by joe_atv
It will only run with the choke lever pushed down, which pulls the plunger out, is this correct? Also the air/fuel screw on the bottom of the carb, does screwing it in make in run leaner or richer. Its set on about 2 turns right now.
Thanks
Joe

Yes it pulls it out when it's on. It means your running lean. The fuel screw gets richer when you turn it out.

Once again though we can't help you anymore until you tell what mods have been done and what the current jetting is. Sorry. Need to know this to help you any further.

z

joe_atv
08-27-2007, 05:10 AM
Sorry, no mods, stock jetting.
Thanks

cataway
08-27-2007, 04:29 PM
you really dont need a carb kit , what you should do is take the carb off and give it a good cleaning. your going to find that the screws are very soft and easy to bugger up . after you get them out you might better replace them with some thing better. i recommend getting Allen head screws ,7 of them 4 for the bowl 3 for the throttle cable cover . check and see what jets are in your carb and get back with us. if it is stock as you say there should be a 130 main and a 22.5 pilot . if you want to boost your power now would be a good time to do it , that is if you can stand it being a little louder