PDA

View Full Version : starting in gear

bigbluf250
08-22-2007, 08:09 AM
I need help ,my son is starting to race a dead engine star and he has a pull start. Is there any thing i can do to his bike to allow me to start it in gear? please help me , I have 1 week to figure something out. HELP

bigbluf250
08-23-2007, 01:49 PM
come on help a brother out!!!!!!!!!!!! please

burkebrothers
08-23-2007, 02:09 PM
I'm not 100% sure this will work but it will only take a couple of minutes to find out, remove the 3 bolts on the case on the pull start side, there are two wires one is pink and I think the other is green connected to two poles the pink should already be disconected if your racing the other is the neutral safety unhook it and give it a try

bigbluf250
08-23-2007, 02:21 PM
thank you

double d 1
08-23-2007, 07:04 PM
i know on the electric start ones they always say to cut the pink wire. well theres two wires that go to a pull apart connection. one is the pink wire the other is a neutral safety wire. i tried puling them and it wouldnt start. i had to cut the pink wire. if youre trying to start it in gear wouldnt that make it harder to start. he better have a strong arm. my 8 year old son can hardly start a 98 model in neutral let alone in gear.

bigbluf250
08-27-2007, 06:59 PM
I removed the wires from the posts and the bike is alot faster and it starts in gear, and yes he has just enuf strength to pull it. alot faster off the line, do you have any idea what i can do to get rid off the bog problem when he w/o throttle from idle?

double d 1
08-27-2007, 07:43 PM
ive been having the same problem. at an idle if he punches it, it will die. other than cutting the pink wire and the hetrick pipe i put a shim/ washer to raise the needle for cold starts. it starts just looking at it now. i tried messing with the jetting but the stock jetting is fine according to the plug. i havnt tried the air/fuel mixture screw yet. if he eases into it, it is fine so thats what hes doing now.

mcatvme
08-27-2007, 08:52 PM
Ours did the same thing. We just turned the idle up and tada no more problem.

bigbluf250
08-28-2007, 07:19 PM
We rode today and right as i was pulling it into the garage i realized the idle was slightly higher and it didnt do it. Thank you all!!