PDA

View Full Version : 250x fuel system

kd5hrm
10-28-2002, 12:03 PM
I'm trying to buy the neighbor's 91 250x. It hadn't been started in a year or so. I drained the tank and refilled, put in a new plug, aired up the tires and kicked on it for 2 hours. It will *almost* run if you pull it behind another quad and give it all the gas your thumb can give it. I never saw one but it occurred to me on the way to work that it just might have a stopped up gas filter. Does it have a gas filter that I missed? Anything else to check?

Brad
73 de KD5HRM

oynot400
10-28-2002, 12:05 PM
Check the jets. I am sure that either the main or pilot is plugged. Use some carb cleaner and clean it up would not hurt either. ;)

Rastus
10-28-2002, 03:13 PM
Did it run before he put it up, etc?
If it did, check all your jets, lines, filters,etc. get some good quality gas, and see if it will run.If it doesn't, the problem lies somewhere else.

redrider ex
10-28-2002, 03:24 PM
then the old gas has gumed up the carb so clean out them jets

toby400ex
10-28-2002, 05:46 PM
yeah, what they said

josh
10-28-2002, 06:20 PM
also check the oil, is there very cold winters were you live?? if it freezes and stuff it could have slushed up the oil then ruined it when it warmed again, i would put new oil in it just incase, and check the air filter, i would also suggest a new spark plug and just go through the carb and the whole fuel delivery on the bike and check for cloggs and little things, jus clean it up, i have a 91 250x and it used to run really really really good till i put that cobra exhaust on it, the spark plug # is DR8ES-L for an ngk plug

josh
10-28-2002, 06:22 PM
but ya, def check the spark plug, it is probably fouled, and check out that air filter, clean it up a little

DTRAIN
10-29-2002, 06:58 AM
I know its dumb but, make sure the gas knob on the tank is on. Also make sure that the spark plug cap still has the metal piece in it, and that it is making contact with the top of the plug.

kd5hrm
10-29-2002, 07:16 AM
Cool. I Put in a new plug. Gas valve on. Replaced the old crappy filter with a spiffy new one. New gas in the tank. Oil has been changed. Plug has a nice hot spark when you kick it over. That's the easy stuff I guess.

I really didn't want to pull the carb and tank but looks like I'll have to. It did run great before it was put up. I saw him ride it twice up and down the street.

Thanks for all y'alls help.

Brad
73 de KD5HRM

danney f
10-29-2002, 12:37 PM
If gas sets for a long time it will turn to varnish and gum up everything. You really need to pull off the carb and clean it. Pull the bowl off of it and remove and clean the jets. You also need to check the filter on the bottom of the fuel nob, there is a plastic screen in it and it could of very well rotted from setting to long. You also need to pull the tank and flush it good. These tanks are made of metal and will rust if they set to long without being used. If you find out its rusted or it's starting to rust have it recoated or find yourself a defferant one. Is the plug wet when you pulled it to check it after trying to start it. Did you open the drain on the carb to get good gas in the bowl, if not it will still have the old stuff in there. Hope you get it going, good luck.