PDA

View Full Version : Chevy problem

300ex_#387
08-21-2007, 05:11 PM
I know this is a quad forum, but I thought someone might be able to help. I just recently changed the plugs, wires, distributor cap, and rotoe on my 94 chevy z71, because it had a miss due to one of the wires being cut. After I got all of that done, it still acted like it had a miss. It idles fine in park, but when I put it into gear it will drop to about 100rpm and start shaking. The exhaust smells SUPER rich, and is blowing a little smoke. We are thinking is might be the EGR valve, because we unplugged it completely, and it made no difference. It is defenatley not running right at all and wants to bog down when I give it a lot of gas. I was wondering is someone might know whats going on?

slowguy17
08-21-2007, 05:18 PM
Make sure you dont have any vacume leaks. That would be my next guess.

416exfreak
08-21-2007, 05:26 PM
It needs a for sale sign...:devil:

Just kiddin...it might need the computer re-flashed or have a new power-curve burnt into it. After it running wrong for so long the computer probably re-adjusted itself to how the truck was running.:ermm:

300ex_#387
08-21-2007, 05:33 PM
Ha Ha you want to buy it. This thing has just been a money pit. I'm almost tempted just to put a vortec in there. The Service Engine Soon light has came on twice also.

greatdaneworker
08-21-2007, 07:56 PM
take it some were and run the codes and u see why your engine service light has come on.I think u can take it to autozone and they will run the codes for free.

01 400EXer
08-21-2007, 08:31 PM
When you changed the plugs and wires did you make sure you put them back in the correct firing order on the distributor cap?

mineralgrey01gt
08-21-2007, 08:37 PM
did you put the cap on right? It could be out of timing

rcer450r
08-21-2007, 08:37 PM
I know what your problem is! its a chevy and not a DODGE!! lol just jokin

insaneracin2003
08-21-2007, 09:22 PM
my buddy just had this problem and he had crossed 2 of the plug wires. check them.
also ,remove the negative battery term for about 20 seconds then re attach it and try it. if it is doing it, take it to the shop to run the codes.

QuadRider55
08-21-2007, 10:28 PM
problem is its a chevy

FORD BUILT TOUGH!!!!

J/K

08-21-2007, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by 01 400EXer
When you changed the plugs and wires did you make sure you put them back in the correct firing order on the distributor cap?

Would it even run at all?

We had the wires mixed up on an old Chevy van, and it wouldn't even start.

The friend who says it is the EGR valve is pretty confident that is it.

Ghost-Rider
08-21-2007, 10:35 PM
Want to fix your problem ? git rid of that POS and buy a Ford.

08-21-2007, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Ghost-Rider
Want to fix your problem ? git rid of that POS and buy a Ford.

What logic is behind this?

Why would you go from great to worse? :devil:

Rastus
08-22-2007, 08:27 AM
I'm going to Tag this thread and add to favs, just so I can read all the dumb replies like "Should sell it and buy a ford/dodge/whatever else." :rolleyes:

Since you changed parts on it and it started happening, I'd bet money that what's wrong with your truck is something that you didn't get on right. Are you SURE you put the wires on right? Are they good wires, or some cheap junk set? I can't tell you how many times I've worked on something or looked at other peoples vehicles, and the wires they bought were cheap ones that were junk out of the box. Either that, or they mess the ends on the wires up trying to put them on, because they are made as fast/cheap as possible.

Did you gap your plugs? Are they good plugs and not junk? I only use ACDelco, since that's what they came with original. I don't see how you could put the cap and rotor on wrong, they only go on one-way. Changing the cap and rotor will not push it out of time, so don't mess with timing. Did you lean on/mess with any vaccum lines when you were working on it? As those lines get older, they dry out and get brittle and are easy to break/snap without knowing it. (happens to all makes)

If you have access to a scanner and can use it, then go ahead and read your codes. If not, no biggie because they will probably be codes set off because something isn't right that you replaced. If you want the light off/reset all codes, then do what was posted above and remove the terminal for alittle bit.

The TBI chevy motor is a very reliable motor, but it's not a race motor. It makes it's power at lower RPM, it doesn't have a decent cam at all to make more power over 4K RPM. You can really wake it up with a decent cam, some shorties and decent exhaust setup since the factory gave it such a crappy cam. IMO, not worth it to do a Vortec swap because for the money you would have in it, you could make the same/more power with the motor you have now.

Just my take on things..

*EDIT* Also, having two wires mixed the engine will still run, but very crappy.

TCracin440ex
08-22-2007, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by 300ex_#387
Ha Ha you want to buy it. This thing has just been a money pit. I'm almost tempted just to put a vortec in there. The Service Engine Soon light has came on twice also.

vortec aint much better the 350 vortec is famous for shifting the intake manfold gaskets....i dont know why...it also might have rough idol because of TPS...im not sure if your 94 has TPS but my 98 had a TPS and it went bad and it would idol rough, and whatnot..

krt400ex
08-22-2007, 02:58 PM
junk the chevy and buy a ford :p

TCracin440ex
08-22-2007, 02:59 PM
rastus long time no speak bro hows the vortec 350 i sold ya doin....i sold my 98 i got a new truck

http://a269.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/57/l_082eab08df3e042c72ea19b721ba9da4.jpg

pics of my new truck ^^^

300ex_#387
08-22-2007, 03:39 PM
I was not the one who put the wires, or plugs in, so I cant say if it was done right or not. I took it to our mechanic today, and he told me the same thing "Are you sure the wires are on right?" He is going to let it cool off and look at it in the morning. As far as getting power out of this thing, I do have some mods done to it. Cold air intake, throttle body spacer, underdrive pulley, true duels with 18" glass packs. I'm not sure what i'm going to do next. I was debating on a cam, butdon't want to have to pay the money to put it in. I don't know enough to do it myself. I was thinking about doing my ignition will all MSD stuff. Ignition coil, wires distributor, ignition box. With the 33's on there its real doggy....

416exfreak
08-22-2007, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by rcer450r

exactly...and im not joking.:eek:

416exfreak
08-22-2007, 04:11 PM

I personally wouldnt, but I know a BUNCH of kids at my school who would beg mommy and daddy to buy it for them.

Im happy with my 93 dodge ram. Basic truck, and it runs great.

300ex_#387
08-22-2007, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
I personally wouldnt, but I know a BUNCH of kids at my school who would beg mommy and daddy to buy it for them.

Im happy with my 93 dodge ram. Basic truck, and it runs great.

Yeah I know what you mean by mommy and daddy buying kids these nice trucks. I'm currently paying for this one myself though, and it makes me feel better about it. I pay for my gas, and insurance. I'm not interested in selling it, its actually a pretty good truck if it runs right...

Rastus
08-23-2007, 02:30 PM
I was not the one who put the wires, or plugs in, so I cant say if it was done right or not. I took it to our mechanic today, and he told me the same thing "Are you sure the wires are on right?" He is going to let it cool off and look at it in the morning. As far as getting power out of this thing, I do have some mods done to it. Cold air intake, throttle body spacer, underdrive pulley, true duels with 18" glass packs. I'm not sure what i'm going to do next. I was debating on a cam, butdon't want to have to pay the money to put it in. I don't know enough to do it myself. I was thinking about doing my ignition will all MSD stuff. Ignition coil, wires distributor, ignition box. With the 33's on there its real doggy....

Don't waste the money on the ignition stuff, you won't notice any gains with an aftermarket igniton with a stock engine.

I'd tell you to fix your engine problem you have now, and then invest in high-flow cats if you still have cats. If not, don't worry about it, and get a higher stall conveter or some lower gears. The stall will be less money for you, you can get a GM stall originally for an S10 with a 4L60E that stalls around 2500 and still has lock-up. OR, you can get an aftermarket unit, but either will be less money than putting gears in the front and back. After that, you might have someone that knows what they're doing do some chip tuning on it. I strongly advise you not to get a chip from someone that does not see your truck, i.e. mail-order or someone that ships it to you. Usually the chips they provide *might* help and they might not, because they are not specifically tweaked for your truck.

*TC, I've been doing pretty well. Nice truck. :) The motor is still in pieces under my work bench, and I'll probably be sticking the heads on a decent 327 motor I'll be building for my firebird. I would have built the other motor how I wanted it by now, but as of two days ago I'm a father, so not a whole lot of extra $$. :)

*Edit* I also forgot to mention all of the cheap mods you can do on the actual TBI unit itself. There are plenty of sites around that have tons of info for your year chevy. Let us know how it goes and what your mechanic says.

300ex_#387
08-23-2007, 06:48 PM
Good call on the wires being on wrong. There were 2 of them switched on the distributor.

I do have an exhaust on it. True duels with 18' glasspacks.

07250ex
08-23-2007, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by rcer450r

Dodge blows ... chevy/gmc, and ford own dodge

300exOH
08-23-2007, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by 07250ex
Dodge blows ... chevy/gmc, and ford own dodge

Hmm....another intelligent post.:rolleyes: I just saw a review on the latest f150 2wd and it ran a 17.50 in the 1/4 mile.:ermm: Not exactly impressive in my book. My 98 dakota 4x4 will run in the low 17's or high 16's with no mods...

#387- Nice looking truck...so how does it run now that the wires are on correctly?

300ex_#387
08-24-2007, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by 300exOH
Hmm....another intelligent post.:rolleyes: I just saw a review on the latest f150 2wd and it ran a 17.50 in the 1/4 mile.:ermm: Not exactly impressive in my book. My 98 dakota 4x4 will run in the low 17's or high 16's with no mods...

#387- Nice looking truck...so how does it run now that the wires are on correctly?

My fuel milage almost doubled, and it doesnt shake like crazy at an idle anymore.

Dodges 360 motor is actually a pretty quick motor if your comparing stock to stock. Depending on what your into most of there rams, have solid front axles, and basicaly a posi rear end. If you ever plan on lifting a dodge, you will save thousands just becuae of that solid front axle. I don't think I would ever own a dodge, but I do like some of the things they do.

300exOH
08-24-2007, 09:23 AM
My fuel milage almost doubled, and it doesnt shake like crazy at an idle anymore.

Dodges 360 motor is actually a pretty quick motor if your comparing stock to stock. Depending on what your into most of there rams, have solid front axles, and basicaly a posi rear end. If you ever plan on lifting a dodge, you will save thousands just becuae of that solid front axle. I don't think I would ever own a dodge, but I do like some of the things they do.

Ya I'm not surprised you mileage went up. lol Good to hear she's running good. I always liked that body style. Much better looking than the newer ones IMO.

My dakota actually has the 318. It isn't bad for a small V8. Not much for top end power but the low end torque is great especially compared to the pos Colorado I had. Unfortunately the dakota has IFS front suspension so I probably won't lift it. I have cranked the t-bars to level out the truck and it sits pretty nice now. I can't even find anywhere to go offroad around here anyhow. I have always been a chevy guy myself but I couldn't pass up the deal I got for this truck plus I needed something to drive after filing lemon law on the colorado.:ermm:

Toadz400
08-24-2007, 10:06 AM
Glad to hear you got your problem resolved, it seems switching wires happens a lot but it's always a quick and easy fix.

Also it's unfortunate that you had to endure all those immature posts about getting a Ford or Dodge that offered no help to you. I think there should be a rule stating if you make senseless posts like that you should get a warning or disciplined.

07250ex
08-24-2007, 10:59 AM

4x4s axcel faster... its lighter ... what engine do you have in yours ... what engines in the ford ... everything plays a factor... the lowest version f150 you can get puts out 202 horsepower ... the lowest dodge puts out 210 with the highest being 230(dakota) now the highest f150 being 300 horspower so yerr im sure a lighter mid size pick up with 4x4 and 8 more horspower can beat a full size with 2x4 and 8 less horspower... now ur 98 probably doesn't have the small engine but i doubt it's 230 hp with the large engine because it's a 98 so its prolly around 210 as it stands and if you do have the small engine your truck is still much lighter

300exOH
08-24-2007, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by 07250ex
4x4s axcel faster... its lighter ... what engine do you have in yours ... what engines in the ford ... everything plays a factor... the lowest version f150 you can get puts out 202 horsepower ... the lowest dodge puts out 210 with the highest being 230(dakota) now the highest f150 being 300 horspower so yerr im sure a lighter mid size pick up with 4x4 and 8 more horspower can beat a full size with 2x4 and 8 less horspower... now ur 98 probably doesn't have the small engine but i doubt it's 230 hp with the large engine because it's a 98 so its prolly around 210 as it stands and if you do have the small engine your truck is still much lighter

The ford was a reg cab 2wd with the 4.6L v8. My dakota has the 318(5.2L) with 230HP stock(at least thats what it says on the original build sheet that came with the truck) and 3.55 gears. I HIGHLY doubt my 4x4 ext cab truck is lighter than a 2wd reg cab fullsize but I admit I haven't compared the numbers. Honestly I was shocked the ford was that slow and so were the reviewers on the program I was watching. I'm not sure what show it was...maybe motortrend tv or one of the powerblock shows on spike. A 2wd truck should easily be able to outrun my 4x4 even with a slightly smaller engine. Although I am FAR from a ford fan I'm not trying to put down the truck but I wouldn't go so far as to say it would OWN a dodge. My truck is just shy of 150k miles and still running strong.

300ex_#387
08-24-2007, 01:16 PM
Ya I'm not surprised you mileage went up. lol Good to hear she's running good. I always liked that body style. Much better looking than the newer ones IMO.

My dakota actually has the 318. It isn't bad for a small V8. Not much for top end power but the low end torque is great especially compared to the pos Colorado I had. Unfortunately the dakota has IFS front suspension so I probably won't lift it. I have cranked the t-bars to level out the truck and it sits pretty nice now. I can't even find anywhere to go offroad around here anyhow. I have always been a chevy guy myself but I couldn't pass up the deal I got for this truck plus I needed something to drive after filing lemon law on the colorado.:ermm:

I'm not a fan of the newer body style either. There isn't a scratch on this truck, and there is one small dent in the door, and it's a 94. I was very suprised the body was in this good of condition.

I think if I ever didn't want a full size truck I would get a 4wd dokata like yours with a 318. Plenty of power for those trucks. The colorado's are a joke lol. Your better off buying an older s10 for less than half the price.

400thacker
08-24-2007, 02:12 PM
my mom has a 2001 dakota SLT ext cab 4x4 with the 4.7v8 in it. I blaew it up and replaced the motor with one out of a jeep which is high output. i put a bigger cam from dodge in it and WOW is all i have to say. good posi rear end IFS unfortunately but it runs great. I run a 3318ci truck just like moms and smoked his *** but thats my .02

300exOH
08-24-2007, 02:16 PM
I'm not a fan of the newer body style either. There isn't a scratch on this truck, and there is one small dent in the door, and it's a 94. I was very suprised the body was in this good of condition.

I think if I ever didn't want a full size truck I would get a 4wd dokata like yours with a 318. Plenty of power for those trucks. The colorado's are a joke lol. Your better off buying an older s10 for less than half the price.

Def looks flawless considering it's a 94. A buddy of mine has on 03 and it just doesn't do it for me. Personally I think the older ones have a better feel to them as well. Your truck must be from the south or west because the older chevys around here have a bad case of cancer.

Ya I really like my truck. I would've loved to have had it when it was new. I bought it from a friend who bought it brand new and it has been a great truck for both of us. Never had any major problems with it. I agree fully with you about the colorados. I had 2 of them before I bought the dakota and I'll never own one again. I had tire wear probs from day one and they tried everything to fix it with no luck at all. The s-10's were much better trucks. I could've bought an 03 s-10 and I wish I would have.