PDA

View Full Version : Raptor 700r vs Wolverine 450

cereal83
08-21-2007, 04:53 PM
Hey all,

I am new to the forums and just have some basic questions.

I am pondering the thought of buying a 4wheeler and I have been looking around the web for the last couple of days. Basically I would be a new rider about 6'0 and 200 pounds. I am looking for a 4wheelers to boot around on the weekends. I love the looks of the Raptor but would love the 4x4 of the Wolverine so I am wondering which one would be a better choice? Maybe I am looking at the wrong models totally. I would be trail riding only basically where there are nice trails and in the winter, I would be driving on the lake and still in the trails.

Any help would be great. Also, how is Yamaha's reliability? Do they break down alot is Honda a better choice and if so which model?

What year should I be looking at? Should I spend the bucks and get a new one or get a year old one to save some cash?

So once again, any help would be great.

Thanks

honda300EXtreme
08-21-2007, 05:17 PM
in my opinion

if you want a good trail bike get a honda 400ex, they are one of the most reliable quads, awsome for trails, and respond well to mods, ( you can find a great deal on a used one, but it deopends on what you like the newer models have updated plastics and reverse and a few other changes)

but you gotta decide,, if you want a 4 wheel drive there a alot of options,

my favorites
honda 680
hondarancher 400
honda trx-300
bruteforce 650/750

and theres a ton more that have proven them selfs a good quad...

08-21-2007, 11:43 PM
I have both a 95 350 4x4 Wolverine and a 06 Raptor both are great.Now i know your looking at the 450 Wolverine nice wheeler but i would get the Raptor if i was you.Yamaha's reliability is top notch too.Go to this site www.Raptorforum.com check us out we are very helpful and you will become part of the pack in no time.Thats my crazy wife making waves on the wolverine and my baby :D

cereal83
08-22-2007, 10:38 AM
Hey all,

Thanks for some useful replies.

I am not really sure if I want a 4x4 or a 2wd. Like I said I have never really driven a 4wheeler. I have trails behind my house and unless I go off the trail to make my own, I don't think I will need a 4x4 but I want a 4x4 only for the fact if I ever need the extra 2 wheels.

I love the look of the Raptor and most people seem to praise it. I have a honda dealer 1 km away from me so it's easier. The closest Yamaha dealer is about 30 km away also.

I dunno, I guess I could go and look at some and then decide what feels better but again, I don't know in which direction to look.

I was also looking to buy something fairly new. Maybe somebody bought a atv and then need to sell because they can't afford it or got a new car or something with really low km's or hours. Is this a good idea or just buy new?

How much can I expect they will take off of msrp? Here the Raptor 700r is about $9999 and is there like freight and PDI and all this crap like when you buy a car new?

SO so far I am checking out the Honda trx450 and the Raptor 700r, I can't go wrong with either right?

Thanks again

08-22-2007, 12:28 PM
Its not like you going to need to go to the dealer much so that should not play into what you buy that much. All the 450's are great quads but they are not real good trail quad or atleast there are much better TRAIL quads out there EX'S, RAPTOR'S,KFX-LTZ-DVX 400 are all real good trail quads.If your not that big of a guy that new 250 Raptor is the **** from what i read nice and light,well put together quad and not to much $money$

cereal83
08-22-2007, 02:41 PM
Hey,

I live in Ontario, Canada north of Toronto.

I really want a Raptor because all of my friends see a Raptor and go crazy and from reading around here, they are excellent bikes but also from reading, Honda's are bulletproof.

Not going to the dealer alot is also great if I do end up getting a Raptor but I thoughts I would have to go for regular maintenance there.

Umm I am still reading and thinking.

08-22-2007, 05:46 PM
www.Raptorforum.com ? really you will take it back once for the 1 service.But you do not even have to do that you can adjust the vavles your self we have a post with pic just on that, it holds your hand step by step the whole way its so easy it not funny.

xxnightraven73x
08-22-2007, 05:55 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^ x2
www.raptorforum.com is the best web site for any info you need on a rappy.im an automotive tech by day and im on there every night ive owned two rappys im on an 01 right now thats soon to get a 720 stroker kit from one of the site sponsors for real cheap great guys great info there anything i cant help you with one of the other guys can and ive had a 440ex that i built with all the goodies and the rappy will still kick more than that thing get a rappy they are fun as hell

cereal83
08-23-2007, 05:44 PM
Hey there,

Yes I have been checking out the raptor forum. I have been browsing that alot but most people only care about mods which I do not, yet!

I have also been talking to my friends. They all say I should get a 4x4 as where I live, the trails do get muddy and most people think I will get stuck alot with something like a raptor and something like a huge 4x4 would be alot better and they are trying to tell me they still boot but just not as fast as a raptor.

Also, whats up with the prices of mods? It seems like a simple exhaust is around $500 usd. You can get mod's for a car for half that. Doesn't it seem a little crazy?

Thanks

yAmAhA-rIdEr155
08-31-2007, 03:03 PM
ther was a recall on the 06, 07 wolverine's and a few other utility models, raptor 700 would ure best choice, after the recalls how great can u trust tha wolverine, the raptor 700 could perform anything u need most likely, let me tell u wat tha recall was bout, the black panels tht cover tha engine, water leaks inside through those panels into tha engine causing it to stop running well, and it pursist to different problems, just get a 700 u want be dissapointed