PDA

View Full Version : does anyone really know about leaded fuel and valves?

YZROOSTINYA
10-28-2002, 11:00 AM
I want to know if running race fuel in my motor will affect the valves? my buddy tells me that leaded fuel was initially in cars because it aided the valves. but i dont know how or why. i dont know if the lead helped cool the valves or what not. will this affet my quads valves if it is not specially set up to handle leaded.

i have a 10.8.1 je 416 and hot cam stage 2 with stock valvetrain

i was mixxing 1 gallon of c-12 to 4 gallons 93. i figure its a little extra octane and the lead would help cool the motor a little.

does any one know then science of leaded fuel. please explain

Texan32
10-28-2002, 11:49 AM
http://newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/gen99/gen99615.htm
http://newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/chem00/chem00499.htm

this might help a little

YZROOSTINYA
10-28-2002, 12:20 PM
thanks, exactly what i needed!!!

Tom Lynn
10-28-2002, 12:21 PM
It was intended 4 autos and the lead will build up in the valves.

Punk13rym
10-28-2002, 12:53 PM
when i was at my local auto parts store i found lead additive on the shelf. is it ok to use it in my 400? is it the same as running race gas?

oynot400
10-28-2002, 12:55 PM
If memory serves me well, leaded fuel was used to lube the valves. So race fuel will not hurt you valves at all, if anything it will help them slightly. ;)
Not only that, it smells great too! :devil

Extremeracer167
10-28-2002, 01:02 PM
alot of recent studies shows its better to run leaded fuel in 4 strokes. It actually adds a small barrier in th emoving parts, alsmot like oil. It helps put a cushion on the valves. I think VPs new 4 stroke race gas is leaded for this reason

L.Vegas400
10-28-2002, 02:20 PM
the old regular gas also had a detergent additive in it. this was another way to 'lube' the moving parts of the old engs. the advances in technology today does not requir that anymore. i have seen some ppl pour small amounts of tranny fluid down the carb of an older eng to get kinda the same effect of the old regular gas. the fluid has a detergent kinda like the regular gas.

j400exrider
10-28-2002, 03:30 PM
it thought it was put in old auto's to harden the valves, but im not really sure.

YZROOSTINYA
10-29-2002, 04:43 AM
it older auto's they did not have the metals they do today so the valves seats took a pounding. the lead helped soften the blow and reduced wear on the seat and valve head. since then they have better fuels and the lead also helped increase the octane rating. now leaded fuels will destroy the ceramic balls in the catlytic converter and that is what it is not used along with the better metals we have today and higher quality non leaded higher octane fuel. lead also did help lubricate the cylinder walls. it was also stopped since lead is very bad to the human body and causes severe brain problems in young children. lead deposits were found on the road and when it would rain they would wash in the dirt where kids were playing get on there skin, mouth......

but now we use it in race fuel and is very beneficial in high compression applications and the leads also dissipates heat faster making your motor run cooler.

i will be mixing one gallon to 4 gallons come summertime.

L.Vegas400
10-29-2002, 07:40 AM
did you ask this question just to see what kind of screwed up answers you would get, then make pple look stupid, or did you do some research and find the answer to your question?

YZROOSTINYA
10-29-2002, 08:00 AM
i already had a good idea of what ws going on and wanted confirmation from people who actually knew firsthand, not just hearsay. i did some more research and confirmed everything than posted back here so anyone else interested would know

i wasn't trying to sound cocky as that was the farthest of my intensions. i have my answer and hopefully anyone else looking for the info found it too.

thanks poeple

texan32 that is a good site and i will keep it in my bookmark.

L.Vegas400
10-29-2002, 11:48 AM
didnt mean anything by it, just thats how it seemed. a little bit of info for all of us.

YZROOSTINYA
10-29-2002, 12:26 PM
looking back i can see how it might have come across that way

no harm done