PDA

View Full Version : Front end help

JDMThoughts
08-21-2007, 12:18 PM
After searching around and reading up on parts, I am slowly working my 400 into a GNCC style trail machine along with some light MXing and usual jumping that I do. I have done the majority of the motor work without tearing the motor apart, and now I wanna redo the suspension and then finally do a rebuild. I am thinking of going with Laegers +2" arms, not sure if I should get sport arms or race arms, not quite sure the difference. After that I was looking into Ohlins or Axis shocks. Anyone have any suggestions on the pros and cons of my selections, or is that a pretty good setup. After this it's on with a Sparks 416 kit.

JDMThoughts
08-22-2007, 08:45 PM
Someone has to have some sort of insight into this. What is the difference between the sport and race arms from Laegers? Also which is a better shock, the Ohlins or the Axis, pros and cons?

08-22-2007, 09:04 PM
I do the exact same riding style that you do. I mean exact but sometimes wider a-arms makes it harder for trails. Depends where you ride but I know where I do sometimes there are 2 trees right on each side of the trail that you really have to slow down for, I mean there is maybe an inch and a half on each side, maybe. I need to upgrade my suspension from stock and I am just goin to go with Works. I like their products, they are cheap and work great! It doesnt take expensive shocks to be the best or have a nice ride is what it comes down to. For trails I would just go with a +1.5" a-arms so its 3 inches wider in total.

JDMThoughts
08-23-2007, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the input, I don't have any trees in any of the trails that I have to worry about clearance for. I plan on using my bike for a few hare scrambles, but predominantly the bike is going into the MX direction, so I can cut my teeth in mx racing before I upgrade to a 450. The part of the reason the parts I am using are more of top end and mx style parts. If I was going for a silly fast trail bike I would be going with slip ons and other items like that. Thanks for the help. I just seem to be impartial to axis and Ohlins.

jedneck
08-25-2007, 05:41 AM
I run a +1 long travel front end and +4 in the rear in hare scrambles. And I don't get pinched much.