PDA

View Full Version : blaster rebore question

honda450rider33
08-21-2007, 11:26 AM
what do you think i should do i was talking to a friend and he said not to have the cylinder rebored but to have it re nicasiled he said if i were to rebore it will not last that long and will run like crap what should i do? also do you think i should run a factory oem piston or like a pro-x, wiesco, wsm, etc?

Modifly
08-21-2007, 03:06 PM
Whats the reason behind wanting it rebored? has it got little groves or pits in the cylinder wall? if so dont nikasil it as it wont get rid of the problem, bore it out and if you really want to nikasil it but i havent heard good things about nikasil'd barrels. if your rebuilding the engine and the cylinder wall (sleve) is in good shape just give it a hone and put the fresh piston in.

the stock factory pistons are a little bit heavier than the wiseco piston so it will rev abit lighter. they are very strong and a much better inprovment than stock. I have never tired any other piston in my blaster and i wont try another piston. all i can say is dont go with the modified vito's piston, there sh*t.

Modifly
08-21-2007, 03:10 PM
also your friend says "dont rebore it, it will run like crap and wont last long"

It will run exactly the same if not a little better (hardly noticable tho) And a bored out cylinder lasts as long as a non bored out cylinder as long as you put the correct size piston in. i really dont understand what your friend means by that?

honda450rider33
08-21-2007, 07:31 PM
the top end blew and that is why i am reboring it. the reason he said that was from factory the sleeve is nicasiled and he is saying it will run better if you have it re nicasied instead of boring

blaster99
08-21-2007, 07:37 PM
your freind dont know what hes talking about. bore it like .020 over or whatever if there grooves in the cylender wall, or pits or bumps.. you know, if its not smooth.if it is, just hone it unles you want to bore it.

honda450rider33
08-21-2007, 07:41 PM
what do you think of WSM pistons. i had one in there but the reason it blew was my fault i did a needle adjustment and i did not put the washer on top of the needle and it richend it out so much causing a back fire. so i dont know really how long they last i had mine in for over a year

cdale2002
08-26-2007, 08:15 AM
Do you even know what it cost to have a cylinder nikasil plated. When I was researching it to have my cannondale sleeve replated it was going to cost approx. 150.00 and found it to be cheaper to buy the whole piston kit cheaper (120.00). So I would just rebore it and run a weiseco or use a pro-x piston. Call me I know someone who bores and is a weiseco dealer

Note: the only quad that seem to have nikasil plated cylinders are all the new fourstrokes for 03-present