PDA

View Full Version : More Power Question

briantrx
08-21-2007, 11:08 AM
I am sure this has been asked several times before but here is my question. I have a '04 450r with an HRC kit and a rossier exhaust. I mainly do trail riding, but like to drag race when i go to silver lake. I am lookin for more power but also reliability, should i go with a high comp piston or??? what do you guys recomend?
Thanks,
Brian

chad502ex
08-21-2007, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by briantrx
I am sure this has been asked several times before but here is my question. I have a '04 450r with an HRC kit and a rossier exhaust. I mainly do trail riding, but like to drag race when i go to silver lake. I am lookin for more power but also reliability, should i go with a high comp piston or??? what do you guys recomend?
Thanks,
Brian

trail rider,...hmmm pump gas or race gas? i'd say upgrade your piston and get port and flow cylinder head work...

added compression and port work is as reliable as your able to get into any engine as the combination of the two involves maximizing the efficiency of the engine...

briantrx
08-21-2007, 11:23 AM
i run race gas (105) when i go to the dunes but run 93 normally. does this make a difference?

what kind of compression should i look for with a new piston?

chad502ex
08-21-2007, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by briantrx
i run race gas (105) when i go to the dunes but run 93 normally. does this make a difference?

what kind of compression should i look for with a new piston?

increasing compression demands the use of higher octane fuels to prevent detonation from occuring.

for pump fuel and HRC i would recommend ~12.5:1

for race fuel (105) compression near 14:1 is tolerable using HRC camshafts...

briantrx
08-21-2007, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the replies. it answers a few questions.
What about a rev box, or cdi box. would it help to swap this out?
thanks

chad502ex
08-22-2007, 06:23 AM
glad to help. a CDI box is one of the last performance modification i recommend. for the money there are other mods that are better for the money.

hendershot106
08-22-2007, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by chad502ex
glad to help. a CDI box is one of the last performance modification i recommend. for the money there are other mods that are better for the money.

do u recommend carb boring or cdi box after already having everything else???????

chad502ex
08-22-2007, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by hendershot106
do u recommend carb boring or cdi box after already having everything else???????

since they both are similiar in costs... an engine always develops more power with more cfms...

see what carb boring can do for an engine needing it?

an ignition module can't give an engine more cfm's of air/fuel as a carb mod can do,... the ignition module can only ignite the mixture provided with greater efficiency that isn't any more than 1hp gain where as a carb mod if done right can give 3hp for the same costs....

hendershot106
08-22-2007, 11:53 AM
mmmmmmmmhhhhh --- i was leaning that way------- thank you for the verification!!

chad502ex
08-22-2007, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by hendershot106
mmmmmmmmhhhhh --- i was leaning that way------- thank you for the verification!!

certainly.. its just my honest opinion if it were my money i was spending to choose either the ignition module or carb boring...