PDA

View Full Version : My 1968 Camaro

rYan01400EX
08-20-2007, 10:27 PM
I'm 17 years old and I just completed my first restoration under the guidance of my father. Most people could careless about things I have to post but I honestly am pretty proud of my own work. I spent almost every dime I had on this car with just a little to spare to get back and forth to school and work. It took me a long time. I had a motor built at the start of the year and the guy who worked on the carb didn't tighten any screws so one went through the intake, down through the head, and last but not least, landed on the piston and busted the block. I didn't build the car to be a trailer queen. I built it to drive and to show occasionally here and there. Last week, I took it to my first show and got best of show and best '67 - '70 Camaro. I by no means am bragging, just proud of my work is all.

This is the car the day it was done undergoing break in procedure.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/ryan01400EX/07-28-07_1432.jpg

This is my new motor.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/ryan01400EX/07-28-07_1431.jpg

300exOH
08-20-2007, 10:32 PM
Very nice...I just drooled all over my keyboard:blah:

Ghost-Rider
08-20-2007, 10:33 PM
Looks Good !

rYan01400EX
08-20-2007, 10:33 PM
Thanks alot man... it's taken about everything I have to get it done. My goal was to get it done for my 2006 prom in May. Unfortunately, I didn't get it done due to the busted block.

Ghost-Rider
08-20-2007, 10:35 PM
That car is sweet man, love the color choice.

300exOH
08-20-2007, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by rYan01400EX
Thanks alot man... it's taken about everything I have to get it done. My goal was to get it done for my 2006 prom in May. Unfortunately, I didn't get it done due to the busted block.

Yeah projects like that are not cheap. Looks like you did a he!! of a good job. I really like the color. The only thing I would change would be the center caps but its all personal opinion. So what's been done to the motor/trans?

rYan01400EX
08-20-2007, 10:39 PM
It's Matador Red.. I painted it with the help of my dad aswell.. I went to junkyards and got hoods, doors, deck lids, and everything. I painted and painted until I got what I wanted. I just used spare body shop paint from a friend. The paint is by far not perfect. It has places here and there but for the most part, I'm satisfied.. There's a long story behind the whole car but I wanted it all done by myself with a little help from dad here and there. There's nothing like speaking to someone and saying "I built that."

Ghost-Rider
08-20-2007, 10:42 PM
Got any other pics ? I love old Camaros

rYan01400EX
08-20-2007, 10:44 PM
The motor is simply a bumped up stock 350.

It's got a Comp 280 cam, new pistons, 2.02 trick flow heads, '67 Camaro High Rise intake, Flowtech Ceramic coated headers, and a few billet dress up parts like valve covers, oil pan, timing cover, and pulleys. It's got all GM hoses and an original style AC DELCO oil filter. The transmission is a Muncie T10 4 speed with all new Borg Warner gears...

Like I said, I built it to drive daily. I'd have tried to go a tad bigger on the motor but I didn't have the money and I was proud of the power this gave me.

rYan01400EX
08-20-2007, 10:45 PM
As far as pictures go, no, I don't have any right now. I'll snap a few more when I get my digital camera back. My uncle is borrowing it. I just snapped these quick on the cell phone..

Ghost-Rider
08-20-2007, 10:46 PM
I hear ya, i would like to build a muscle car in the future,But i would probably take out the original drive and such and replace it with something i could beat on.

Ghost-Rider
08-20-2007, 10:47 PM
Are those tires slicks ? Fun times on wet pavement.

rYan01400EX
08-20-2007, 10:50 PM
Yep.. I will say... building the car was an expirience like no other. It took an EXTREME amount of patience. As with any old car, you'll run into problem after problem... It's a rush aswell... you're excited the whole way but want to stay slow and check your work the whole time. If you go quick, things go wrong.. atleast your first time. My dad stood there with me everyday while I would work on it.. He'd stop me if I was getting ready to go wrong and tell me "Now stop.. Think about what you're doing." And I'd realize it. It was a blast to do.

rYan01400EX
08-20-2007, 10:50 PM
Nope, no slicks. Heh, they're BFGoodrich T/A Radials and the fronts are BFGoodrich Excentia's. This car will never see rain at all..

Titanium
08-20-2007, 10:51 PM
that things so clean in the first pic it makes it look like a model car.

rYan01400EX
08-20-2007, 10:53 PM
Thank ya buddy. I try and keep it clean all the time.. even if I don't drive it. People don't realize how much pride you take in something after you spend every nickel and dime of YOUR OWN hard earned money... I get crazy when my brother rides his bike in the garage and everything..

Ghost-Rider
08-20-2007, 10:55 PM
I wouldn't let it see rain or snow.My dad has talked of getting a 1991 mustang or something and making it into a hot rod, although we would love to do a Chevelle or something.A Nova would also be nice.

300exOH
08-20-2007, 10:55 PM
Sounds like it will get the job done. You should be proud of it...most kids your age just go out and buy something and drive it to the ground. It's great that you built it to drive...I despise trailer queens. Cars are meant to be driven and not just sit and collect dust in some garage. Take care of it and it should last you a lifetime. I wish I would have been able to build my dream car when I was 17. Sadly I let my dream car go about 10 years ago. I wish I never would've sold her... it was a '77 trans am with a '70 ram air III 400ci big block. Hopefully I'll have one again someday.

rYan01400EX
08-20-2007, 11:00 PM
Ah man, the phoenix. I loved those cars too. That looked like a sharp car. I started buying and raising feeder calves when I was 11 on our farm. I've raised many a calves and sold them all for money to do the car. I spent countless hours of cutting, stripping, housing, and topping tobacco.. I've thrown hay so many times I can do it with my eyes closed. I never did slow down. I worked most everyday 'til way up in the night. I made every dime I could because that was a dream I had wanted to fulfill since I was like 6 or 7. My dad told me to go out and get a job with some farmers and I did. Then, dad helped me raise my first feeder calf and I went from there. I would be up at 4:00 many mornings before school to be on the farm and I'd be out there around midnight on school nights.

rYan01400EX
08-20-2007, 11:03 PM
Ghost Rider, get one and go at it. Anythings possible when you set your mind to it... It takes a LOT of time and money but it's neat. I wouldn't take back the expirience of just the time I spent with my dad alone. It's one of the best things any boy can do. My dad's my role model.. Has been since day 1. To have him stand by my side and watch everything I do is a true honor. If it wasn't for him pushin' me to work hard then I'd have never finished a car. Sorry for all the information.. theres just a longgg story behind the deal.

Ghost-Rider
08-20-2007, 11:05 PM
Yea, i would love to talk him into it some day, maybe once i'm 18 or so or a little older.

rYan01400EX
08-20-2007, 11:07 PM
Yea.. Just set a goal and go for it man.. start now. That way if by chance he does get one, then you got the money to get to it when you want. The hardest thing for me was saving the money. I was a kid at 13 and 14 and if I saw something I liked, I'd want it in a heartbeat... but I always knew that I had to finish that before I bought anything else.

MX MaNiAc 06
08-20-2007, 11:12 PM
Thank ya buddy. I try and keep it clean all the time.. even if I don't drive it. People don't realize how much pride you take in something after you spend every nickel and dime of YOUR OWN hard earned money... I get crazy when my brother rides his bike in the garage and everything..

Congratulations man. That car looks mint. You should be proud of it.

rYan01400EX
08-20-2007, 11:13 PM
Thanks alot man.. I am pretty proud of it.

300exOH
08-21-2007, 12:11 AM
Ah man, the phoenix. I loved those cars too. That looked like a sharp car. I started buying and raising feeder calves when I was 11 on our farm. I've raised many a calves and sold them all for money to do the car. I spent countless hours of cutting, stripping, housing, and topping tobacco.. I've thrown hay so many times I can do it with my eyes closed. I never did slow down. I worked most everyday 'til way up in the night. I made every dime I could because that was a dream I had wanted to fulfill since I was like 6 or 7. My dad told me to go out and get a job with some farmers and I did. Then, dad helped me raise my first feeder calf and I went from there. I would be up at 4:00 many mornings before school to be on the farm and I'd be out there around midnight on school nights.

We always called it the screaming chicken. lol It needed a bit of work but for the most part it was in good shape. I would give up every toy I have to have that car back in the condition I last saw it. Sounds like you were raised right and all that hard work paid off big time. It's amazing what you can do if you put your mind to it. I wish I would've known that at 17. Hats off to ya. :macho

rYan01400EX
08-21-2007, 12:16 AM
Thanks alot buddy... It means alot to me to see that others like it aswell. I do nothing BUT work. I always work. I LOVE those T/A's... The condition you last saw it? Please don't tell me someone has it sitting in a field just rotting away? In Wallingford, KY I found a 69 Camaro sitting next to a house with weeds grown up all around it. It had a roll cage, perfect body, tubbed, moser axles and a currie rearend, Weld wheels with almost new slicks on it. That was when I was 14. I went back maybe 4 weeks ago to buy the whole car and it's ate up with rust and he won't sell it. It's pitiful really.

Ghost-Rider
08-21-2007, 12:19 AM
Yea, thats to bad about the 69, I think you can get the off years people don't think much off for less so many muscle cars are 69's.

rYan01400EX
08-21-2007, 12:20 AM
Yea I know.. I was gonna buy the whole car and part it out due to the fact I'd rather it not rot away.. I mean there was probably 6,000 worth of parts just rotting there..

300exOH
08-21-2007, 12:38 AM
Thanks alot buddy... It means alot to me to see that others like it aswell. I do nothing BUT work. I always work. I LOVE those T/A's... The condition you last saw it? Please don't tell me someone has it sitting in a field just rotting away? In Wallingford, KY I found a 69 Camaro sitting next to a house with weeds grown up all around it. It had a roll cage, perfect body, tubbed, moser axles and a currie rearend, Weld wheels with almost new slicks on it. That was when I was 14. I went back maybe 4 weeks ago to buy the whole car and it's ate up with rust and he won't sell it. It's pitiful really.

I'm sure you'll get plenty more compliments on the car. Its def a head turner. Honestly I have no idea what happened to the ol T/A. I sold it to a guy here in Ohio and I haven't seen it since. If I knew where it was I would do everything in my power to get it back. The engine alone was worth MUCH more than what I sold the car for but my wife was having a baby at the time and I needed cash. I've seen bare ram air III heads go on ebay for more $$ than what I sold the whole car for. I had no problem toying with mustangs even fairly built ones. The '70 motor put out about 430HP stock(same engine that was in the 70 GTO) and that car would sh** and get! I just hope the car ended up with someone who took care of it instead of rotting in a field.

rYan01400EX
08-21-2007, 12:48 AM
I hope the same thing... I made one mistake my whole time working on the car.. I went to a junkyard in eastern ky and a boy there asked me if I wanted a 12 bolt pos rear end... not thinkin' anything of it I said "Nah, I got a 10 bolt posi. Fine for what I need." He only wanted 125 bucks for it. Now, you can't get one for under 1400 it seems like.. I could shoot myself in the foot for that one...

72 chevelle ss
08-21-2007, 03:48 PM
Very nice. You did some good work.

It does take a ton of money to restore a car. I've got a 72 chevelle that I have been working on since I was 15. It's nowhere near done because I simply don't have the money for it. But, someday it will be done.

wvspeedfreak
08-21-2007, 04:21 PM
Very nice job on the Camaro.You definately have something there to be proud of.Good work!!

rYan01400EX
08-21-2007, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the comments!

Mxjunkie
08-21-2007, 05:23 PM
That car looks very good you should be proud of it! Take good care of it :macho

rYan01400EX
08-21-2007, 05:24 PM
Yea sure thing man! Haha, I wanna build what you got sometime.. a V8 S10.

Mxjunkie
08-21-2007, 05:30 PM
they are a fun man, I'm building another motor for mine it will hopefully be done in a year. It skates around now and gets a little hairy, I'm going to have some fun :devil:

reconmaster
08-21-2007, 05:35 PM
very nice car man great work what kind of axle and rear does it have?

rYan01400EX
08-21-2007, 06:51 PM
It has a 10 bolt posi with strange axles...

sly400ex
08-21-2007, 07:12 PM
Looks really good man, maybe you found your future career!:)

Conman007
08-21-2007, 07:14 PM
Thats exactly what I want to do, buy a 78' Camero and fix it up. How much do u think u spent in all, Im 13 and need to know wat kind of money I need, you can pm me if u want. but that is one sweet ride. I mlooking on ebay, how did u find yours.

mineralgrey01gt
08-21-2007, 07:24 PM
awesome man, congrats on the work. Im going to build up a 67 mustang fastback one day. Just got to find one good enough to start with.

rYan01400EX
08-21-2007, 08:33 PM
Mine was revived from an old auto body building.. it was around back in weeds... I've got around 10 - 12,000.. It all depends on what kind of car you start out with Conman007!

Conman007
08-22-2007, 07:22 PM
Thx a lot, so did u start with like a piece of crap or was it still drivable with some stuff on it. You got it for free or did u have to pay a little

rYan01400EX
08-22-2007, 07:42 PM
I gave 1,600 bucks for the car. It had a super solid body, rough floor pans, junk wheels, but it still had the matching number 350 in it.. Which was the block we busted. Interior was still intact but it was red. It did not have the 4 speed console which I would like to find but they're so expensive. It was a pure luck find. Just keep a close eye out.. and don't rush.. I came across many cars that were junk and wanted to buy them and dad said to just wait.. My car had perfect body mounts all.. granted the bushings were ate up... but thats about all... 1 - 10 the car was about a 6 when I got it.

Rastus
08-23-2007, 01:48 PM
I love old 'Maros. :D

rYan01400EX
08-23-2007, 07:26 PM
That Camaro there is one slick ride man.. I like it!