PDA

View Full Version : A-arm question

speedjunkie13
08-20-2007, 08:05 PM
In your opinions, is it worth having +2 a-arms with stock shocks? i would love to upgrade my shocks, it's just not an option at the moment. i'm just wondering whether the longer arms would help the performance of the shocks, or just add to how poorly they already do.

i would be doing mostly trail riding and i would like to get more into mx style riding as well. i weigh about 150 lbs if that matters.

EX LONERIDER
08-20-2007, 09:02 PM
with the added leverage, they would make your suspension move easier thus making it softer... perform better or worse is just a matter of opinion. im assuming this is for a stock non resivoir 400 shock setup?

speedjunkie13
08-21-2007, 05:55 AM
yea, i have stock 400 ex shocks.

EX LONERIDER
08-21-2007, 06:00 AM
honestly, i'd spend the money on shocks first, then arms. even if it was some 450R shocks, they'd be better then the one's you have. then get arms.

at least if you have shocks, you could go with some offset wheels for better stability if cost is an issue....

speedjunkie13
08-21-2007, 06:27 AM
that was my original plan. the only reason i was considering getting the extended arms is because i broke my left lower arm in a wreck. like you said though, i think i'm leaning towards just trying to find a cheap replacement arm and save for some better shocks.

Phillburt57
08-21-2007, 03:21 PM
I got my iShock complete suspension with +2's for 700 bucks off EBAY brand new and I really like how they feel.

97WarriorRider
08-21-2007, 03:34 PM
would +1 arms and 450r shocks be an ok set up..like thats not to much leverage for a 450r shock is it?

buster024
08-21-2007, 04:04 PM
I didn't think it was even possible to use stock shocks and wider arms. I have +1 arms, and I needed 19-1/2" long shocks to fit. Granted I have a long travel set up, but you will still some how have to stretch those things an extra 2" or so. I don't think you can, and even if you could, I would think it would screw up the whole geometry of the bike. Wouldn't it sit almost a full 2" lower as well (assuming you could even stretch those things somehow)??

I may be totally mistaken, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you would not be improving your bikes performance at all.

gcart2
08-21-2007, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by buster024
I didn't think it was even possible to use stock shocks and wider arms. I have +1 arms, and I needed 19-1/2" long shocks to fit. Granted I have a long travel set up, but you will still some how have to stretch those things an extra 2" or so. I don't think you can, and even if you could, I would think it would screw up the whole geometry of the bike. Wouldn't it sit almost a full 2" lower as well (assuming you could even stretch those things somehow)??

I may be totally mistaken, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you would not be improving your bikes performance at all.

just because the arm is longer doesnt mean the mount is ;)
i have lsr +2's on stockers

speedjunkie13
08-21-2007, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by gcart2
just because the arm is longer doesnt mean the mount is ;)
i have lsr +2's on stockers

so how do you like them? is it too much leverage for the stockers?

buster024, as long as they are standard travel arms, the stockers would fit.:D

EX LONERIDER
08-21-2007, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by 97WarriorRider
would +1 arms and 450r shocks be an ok set up..like thats not to much leverage for a 450r shock is it?

450R shocks and longer arms would be fine... i have a buddy with stock 450R shocks and wider arms. do your research and find out who makes wider arms with the stock position mounts...

pay attention to what you want to do, and what you are going to buy. i have standard travel works shocks redone by precision concepts with stock arms and handles well for what i do in the dunes. i also have offset wheels that extend the front end 1" inch on each side. this makes for a cost effective, sharp stable ride. its all in how you set it up.

speedjunkie13
08-21-2007, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the advice EX LONERIDER, i think that i'm going to just replace my stock arm and save up for some nicer shocks.

Just out of curiousity, if i had a set of shocks set up for stock length a-arms (suppose they are 450r shocks that have been re-sprung and re-valved to my weight and riding style) if I decide to upgrade to +2 arms can i make up for the difference in length using the external adjustments? or would i need to send them out again to be redone?